The VR120 is coming...

Vinnie R.

The VR120 is coming...
« on: 14 Sep 2015, 06:44 pm »

As we get closer to RMAF, and I want to fill you all in on the upcoming Vinnie Rossi dedicated power amplifier that we'll have in
Room 449 (a pre-production prototype), the VR120.

These are renderings, not the actual product photos (coming soon):

UPDATED DETAILS

- Ultracapacitor-Powered, mono/stereo power amplifier (borrowing LIO's PURE-DC-4EVR pat-pending ultracapacitor technology)
- Class A JFET input stage, Class AB output stage.

- 120wpc into 8-ohm (stereo mode), 225wpc into 4-ohm (stereo mode), 2-ohm stable.
- 250wpc into 8-ohm (Bridged mono mode), 400wpc into 4-ohm (Bridged mono mode).

NOTE:  Rear panel will have a switch to configure in Stereo Mode (2-channel amp), or Bridged Mono Mode (1 channel monoblock), and
a 3rd set of speaker posts (M) dedicated for Bridged Mono Mode.

- RCA and XLR input jacks
- Same dimensions as LIO and matching finish options (Black or White Corian, black or silver anodize top panel).
- Can be stacked under LIO and can even be stacked as monoblocks as well if one desires to save space
- Front panel will be simple: A POWER button and LED, and a PROTECT mode LED (protection mode in case of overheating, shorted output, etc.).  No 3-digit display, no knobs.  This is strictly a power amplifier.
- There will be an IR sensor on the front panel, so the LIO's remote control can power it ON/OFF (for those who are using with LIO and want to power both units on/off via remote)
- External AC/DC power adapter (just like with LIO), so no internal transformers.

- 30-day refund policy and 10-year warranty / Made in USA

AVAILABILITY

- Next week when we are back from RMAF, I plan to start the Pre-Order page on our website. 

- We plan to begin shipping sometime in November

PRICING

- $4995 (single VR120 unit)
- $9595 (monoblock pair)

* LIO MOSFET AMP module trade-up (100% trade-in credit) will apply to LIO customers who own this module
and trade-in at time of order, only.

* For those who Pre-Order (details coming soon), we'll be offering a $250 discount ($500 discount off a pair).

*** It is very likely that there will be a price increase at the beginning of 2016.  Above is the 2015 "preliminary"
pricing for early adopters, and Pre-Order customers will of course get the very best price above.

The VR120 will be our solid-state reference design for some time to come!

I'll be sure to post more after RMAF!

Thank you,

Vinnie

« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2015, 04:10 pm by Vinnie R. »

TomS

Re: The VR120 is coming...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2015, 06:59 pm »
Now where is that "like" button  :green:

Looking forward to seeing and hearing this at RMAF!

Just curious, is there any means to trigger the amp and LIO on/off remotely together, much as is done with the existing internal amp (one button all on) from the remote?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2015, 07:38 pm »
Now where is that "like" button  :green:

Looking forward to seeing and hearing this at RMAF!

Just curious, is there any means to trigger the amp and LIO on/off remotely together, much as is done with the existing internal amp (one button all on) from the remote?

Hi TomS,

I'm thinking that we can put the remote sensor on the VR120's front panel, and the LIO remote will be able to turn it ON/OFF.  If they are stacked and you aim the remote at both, it should turn them both on together.  If they are not close enough, you would need to use the remote and aim at them separately.

The other option that I am still considering is having something like a 12V trigger line out of LIO and into the VR120.  But I prefer the remote option and getting rid of one extra wire.  :)

See you at RMAF!

Vinnie

alan m. kafton

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2015, 10:31 pm »
Looking forward to taking a nice listen to this combination.  I can only imagine it will be wonderful.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2015, 12:21 am »
Wish I could be there...  :(

I am  :green:.

catmansound

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2015, 05:51 pm »
Great news, can't wait.  :D  Of course, I like the idea of flipping a switch and getting 2X+ power in monoblock fashion, nice touch! But do I really need that much power? I suppose it all depends on cost. Knock them dead at RMAF.  :P

Vinnie R.

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2015, 02:19 am »
Updated details and pricing posted above (first post in thread).

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2015, 05:15 pm »
Updated pictures in post 1 of this thread.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2015, 05:57 pm »
All,

The VR120 webpage is up!  :eyebrows:

http://vinnierossi.com/vr120/

I plan to add more pictures and a slider to scroll through them, and more info as needed... but
this is a good start!

Over time, we'll be adding links to customer testimonials / reviews of the VR120 in our REVIEWS
page.

PLEASE NOTE

- The PRE-ORDER codes are listed on the bottom of the page.  Use them when you place your order online
to receive the pre-order discount mentioned above in the first post.

*** Pre-order discount EXPIRES 11/1/15 ***

- As promised, there is an option for LIO customers to trade-in your LIO MOSFET AMP module for 100% credit
if you want to.  You can also keep it, of course, but you can only obtain the trade-in credit at the time of your VR120
order (not later on, unless you order another VR120 to use a monoblocks).

AVAILABILITY & PRICING

- VR120's will begin shipping in November, and we go through the pre-order queue and ship in order.

If you have questions about the status of your order, feel free to email me.

*** As mentioned above, is very likely that there will be a price increase on VR120 at the beginning of 2016.  Above is the 2015 "preliminary" pricing for early adopters, and Pre-Order customers will of course get the very best price above - for a limited time
only!

The VR120 will be our solid-state reference design for some time to come!  8)

Thank you,

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2015, 01:45 am by Vinnie R. »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2015, 02:17 am »
All,

As you might have heard, we debuted VR120 at RMAF 2015 last weekend.

It already has received some attention worth posting here:

Neil Gader of The Absolute Sound lists the VR120 in his "Most Significant Product Introductions at RMAF"

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2015-rmaf-show-report-solid-state-electronics-part-one/

Herb Reichert of Stereophile posted this about the VR120:

Quote from: Herb Reichert / Stereophile
“Today I saw Vinnie’s new ultracapacitor-powered VR120 amplifier. …I listened to it play in the most effortless, grainless, natural, detailed, visceral, musically exciting way.”

http://www.stereophile.com/content/day-one-herb-reichert

Many thanks to both gentlemen for visiting us at RMAF to listen to the LIO + VR120 combo!

More to come...

:dance:  8)   :thumb:

Ric Schultz

« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2015, 03:12 am »
Vinnie,
Looks great!  What is the input impedance, the gain, the output impedance and the bandwidth?.....none of these things listed in the specs.
Thanks.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2015, 03:24 am »
Vinnie,
Looks great!  What is the input impedance, the gain, the output impedance and the bandwidth?.....none of these things listed in the specs.
Thanks.

Hi Ric,

Thanks!

Yes, I'll be adding these to the website soon.  Thanks for the reminder.

Input impedance: approx. 100k
Output impedance: < 0.1 ohm
Bandwidth: 10Hz to >50kHz (will confirm soon regarding how far beyond 50kHz it is flat, and the -3dB rolloff points)

Best regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2015, 05:10 pm »
I also forgot to mention:

The rendering pics of the VR120 do NOT show that below where is says "PROTECT," there will
be an IR eye centered so those who own the LIO can use the LIO Remote to turn ON/OFF both
the LIO and VR120. 

I decided to do this instead of a 12V Trigger on the back.

VR120 parts are coming in, and we still expect to begin shipping pre-orders next month!  :hyper:

Thank you

Vinnie

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2015, 08:09 pm »
Congrats Vinnie!

Looks like you have another hit on your hands!   :thumb:

George

brh

« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2015, 01:37 pm »
Looks great, Vinnie, glad to see the product line expanding and read all the positive comments coming out of RMAF! Keep up the good work!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2015, 02:45 pm »
Thanks, guys!

I'm really excited about the VR120 going into production - it's been a lot of work and has taken
time away from some future LIO modules - but the idea of a dedicated, high-power ultracapacitor
powered stereo/monoblock amplifier was too irresistible and I received a lot of interest in it, so
it's on its way!

:bounce:

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2015, 07:37 pm »
UPDATE 10/26:

Looks like we'll have the new VR120 enclosures in stock by the end of next week!  :dance:

All other parts are in stock now, so we are ON TARGET to start shipping VR120 pre-orders in mid-November.

(VR120 pre-order details and LIO MOSFET AMP Trade-in details are in the first post of this thread). 

Reminder - VR120 Pre-order discount ends on 10/31.  :rules:

Thanks for all your continued interest and support!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #17 on: 29 Oct 2015, 02:45 am »
Hi Ric,

Thanks!

Yes, I'll be adding these to the website soon.  Thanks for the reminder.

Input impedance: approx. 50k
Output impedance: < 0.1 ohm
Bandwidth: 10Hz to >50kHz (will confirm soon regarding how far beyond 50kHz it is flat, and the -3dB rolloff points)

Best regards,

Vinnie

UPDATE:

Gain = 29dB
Input Impedance = 100k
Output Impedance = < 0.1 ohm
Bandwidth: approx. 10Hz - 50kHz (flat)
                 approx. 3.5Hz - 125kHz (at -3dB)

All the best,

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2015, 03:03 am by Vinnie R. »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #18 on: 4 Nov 2015, 04:35 pm »
UPDATE 10/26:

Looks like we'll have the new VR120 enclosures in stock by the end of next week!  :dance:

All other parts are in stock now, so we are ON TARGET to start shipping VR120 pre-orders in mid-November.

(VR120 pre-order details and LIO MOSFET AMP Trade-in details are in the first post of this thread). 

Reminder - VR120 Pre-order discount ends on 10/31.  :rules:

Thanks for all your continued interest and support!

Vinnie

UPDATE 11/4:

- VR120 enclosures are on the way!  We'll have them early next week when we return from the NY Audio Show.

- We'll be starting VR120 production next week  :hyper:

- LIO MOSFET AMP full trade-in policy will still continue, at least until the end of 2015.

- Many thanks to everyone who pre-ordered their VR120!  I should be able to ship out ALL VR120 pre-orders by the end
of this month, as well as LIO orders.

2015 has been such an incredible year for LIO, and I'm equally excited to introduce and actually begin shipping the VR120
this year as well!    :thumb:

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE!

Vinnie