Anthem STR Preamp

cameraman

Re: Anthem STR Preamp
« Reply #60 on: 31 Aug 2020, 05:16 pm »
I believe Mike is correct.  The STR has only a USB Type B peripheral port for connecting a source like a streamer, computer, etc.

A USB Type A Host port would be required to stream from a USB drive along with internal software to render it to audio data.  A physical USB B to A adapter won't give you that functionality.

Thanks Mike and srb. Not as big of a concern now that I know the Apple Camera Connector works. I can always play FLAC on a USB connected to my Oppo if I really need to.

cameraman

« Reply #61 on: 4 Sep 2020, 10:58 pm »
I had someone come over and help run ARC Genesis room correction and I happy with the results. Did have an issue with the pro QSC PLD4.2 amp driving my subs. Seems the preset added a low pass filter at 80hz that dropped my subs 24db at the crossover. I found out how to turn it off and not sure how much it will change the calibration. The person that helped me said it should be fine as it will just make the sub match the crossover better instead of the steeper filter. I may have him over to run it again.

So far I only have two inputs;

1) the USB connection using the Apple Camera connector and an iPod or iPhone playing iTunes lossless files. I'm assuming that allows a direct digital connection that bypasses the apple device's DAC and uses the STR preamp DAC.

2) My VPI Prime turntable using the MC phono stage.

For some reason the turntable sounds much better to my ears. Granted I like the vinyl sound but I expected the ALAC files to sound more dynamic but it doesn't.

for some reason I thought I could program the Oppo 103 by output, HDMI to my AVR, coax to the STR. I'm not finding how or if that can be done.

Yet to try network and my MacBook Pro and would like to add a transport but really don't have room in my cabinet.

Very pleased so far yet only a few days in and have some testing to do.

Mike-48

« Reply #62 on: 4 Sep 2020, 11:20 pm »
[...] So far I only have two inputs;

1) the USB connection using the Apple Camera connector and an iPod or iPhone playing iTunes lossless files. I'm assuming that allows a direct digital connection that bypasses the apple device's DAC and uses the STR preamp DAC.

2) My VPI Prime turntable using the MC phono stage.

For some reason the turntable sounds much better to my ears. Granted I like the vinyl sound but I expected the ALAC files to sound more dynamic but it doesn't.

I'm glad you are getting sound you like on the vinyl side.

Regarding the digital input: I have never understood why, and really I don't want it to be true, but I've found time and time again that quality of the digital source affects reproduction a great deal. I don't mean the files (which also are key), but the hardware feeding your DAC. Tablets and laptops can be OK, but I've had far better results from dedicated stream renderers.

I don't know what your budget might be for that, but at a $2700 new, the Auralic Aries G1 is excellent, as it should be, and offers many interesting features. At a way lower price (about $215), the Allo DigiOne Player also sounds great -- way above any laptop or cheap CD player I've tried as a transport. It will play files from a network server, attached USB drive, or thumb drive, and it can be controlled from an iPad or similar device.

There are many other choices in this area, but I own both the above devices and have experienced great sound quality from both. With the DigiOne, I use the Volumio OS and an iFi iPower power supply ($50).

Enjoy your new preamp!
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2020, 04:52 am by Mike-48 »

richidoo

« Reply #63 on: 12 Oct 2020, 12:10 am »
Am I going crazy or is it really not possible to change the input source on STR-Pre without the remote control?  :scratch:

I better not misplace that little guy!

Doublej

« Reply #64 on: 12 Oct 2020, 12:43 am »
Am I going crazy or is it really not possible to change the input source on STR-Pre without the remote control?  :scratch:

I better not misplace that little guy!

Check the error codes on the unit. There might be an ID 10 T code among them.  :lol:

See page 35 of the manual. Is this what you are trying to do?

The number of active inputs varies according to how the Input Setup menu was programmed. To scroll through the
active inputs and view them on the display, press the left/right buttons on the remote control or PREV/NEXT on the
front panel.
To make the selection press SELECT.

richidoo

« Reply #65 on: 12 Oct 2020, 04:10 am »
Thanks! I was pressing the "menu select" button first but that doesnt show inputs.

Pressing prev or next buttons (first) shows the inputs. But the current input is not centered in the display. You have to scroll through them reading the fine print under each input label to see which one is active. I should check for new update.

Quirky, but at least it can be done!  :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #66 on: 12 Oct 2020, 10:57 am »
It's definitely not obvious or user friendly. Does the Anthem app let you control the preamp?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/anthem-remote/id1132341848

richidoo

« Reply #67 on: 12 Oct 2020, 04:22 pm »
I'm downloading the control app now. Thanks for the link.

The front panel buttons serve dual duty in that they switch to input display mode and they also switch inputs. If the pre is displaying volume then hitting prev/next front panel button does both of these actions at the same time, and it displays the input adjacent to the selected input instead of the current input. The R/L buttons on the remote behave the same as the prev/next buttons on the front panel.

The remote's "input" button switches to the input display without scrolling to the adjacent input.

richidoo

« Reply #68 on: 12 Oct 2020, 08:28 pm »
The control app seems to work pretty good!
Much easier access to deeper menu tasks like EQ, and turning ARC on and off.
Definitely worth trying out.