New DHT Line Stage

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: New DHT Line Stage
« Reply #60 on: 24 May 2016, 07:18 pm »
That said, I will miss having the clear acrylic top.

George
My lips are sealed.   :)

TomS

« Reply #61 on: 25 May 2016, 01:03 am »
Vinnie,

Does the DHT version output module replacement retain the single set of balanced outputs if currently optioned that way? It looks like the panel is rather cozy already.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #62 on: 25 May 2016, 02:45 am »
Vinnie,

Does the DHT version output module replacement retain the single set of balanced outputs if currently optioned that way? It looks like the panel is rather cozy already.

Hi TomS,

I will be shipping either a standard LIO OUPTUTS or LIO BAL OUTPUTS with the DHT PRE (based on which one you already own), and in either case, there will be a power jack installed for the filament supply.

Yes - it is *very* cozy, but I got it to fit.  For the LIO BAL OUTPUTS, the jack will moved over between the FIXED and VAR
outputs.  I tested it with even larger RCA plugs it is clears!

The cable coming out of the LIO DHT PRE supply it split into 2 plugs (one that replaces the stock LIO power adapter and
goes to the POWER IN jack, and the other goes to the LIO OUTPUTS power jack, and it is inserted and screwed onto the
threads that lock it in place.  The cables are shielded.

I hope to have more pics to share right after the Newport Beach show, and then after that there will be much needed updates
to our website.  :wink:

Vinnie

TomS

« Reply #63 on: 25 May 2016, 02:53 am »
Most excellent  :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #64 on: 25 May 2016, 11:01 am »
Vinnie,

It does...as I watched Vinnie put in an output module with an XLR when he was over on Monday night.

If that didn't happen, I wouldn't have been able to go with the DHT as my amps are XLR only.

George

Vinnie R.

« Reply #65 on: 25 May 2016, 06:34 pm »
All,

I forgot to mention:

Once I get the DHT PRE pre-orders shipped out, I plan to have a couple different pair of tubes available to ship to
AC members in the USA to try, post their findings, and ship out to the next person interested in trying.  These
particular sets would not be for sale - but something fun for LIO DHT PRE owners to try and see if they like, and
if yes, they can order for themselves online. 

It's easy and fun trying DHTs with LIO DHT PRE's convertible design.  :guitar: :singing: :idea:

Give me about a month and I'll be ready to send out a few pair to AC members.  EML mesh plate 2A3's, anyone?  :wink:

Vinnie

TomS

« Reply #66 on: 25 May 2016, 06:38 pm »
All,

I forgot to mention:

Once I get the DHT PRE pre-orders shipped out, I plan to have a couple different pair of tubes available to ship to
AC members in the USA to try, post their findings, and ship out to the next person interested in trying.  These
particular sets would not be for sale - but something fun for LIO DHT PRE owners to try and see if they like, and

It's easy and fun trying DHTs with LIO DHT PRE's convertible design.  :guitar: :singing: :idea:

Give me about a month and I'll be ready to send out a few pair to AC members.  EML mesh plate 2A3's, anyone?  :wink:

Vinnie
Very nice, I need a "like" button  :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: 25 May 2016, 07:01 pm »
Very nice, I need a "like" button  :green:
Yes, sign me up buttercup! 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #68 on: 25 May 2016, 08:16 pm »
All,

I forgot to mention:

Vinnie

Great idea and program Vinnie.

While the stock tubes and the SV 811's aren't too pricey, the EML and Sophia tubes are seriously expensive.

George

jriggy

« Reply #69 on: 25 May 2016, 10:32 pm »
All,

I forgot to mention:

Vinnie

Awesome. What a good idea! Very kind and generous of you, too. Im sure you will build in insurance to cover yourself but still, quite generous.

Jason

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: 25 May 2016, 10:38 pm »
the EML and Sophia tubes are seriously expensive.

George
I"m not going there...I'm not going there...I'm not going there...

Vinnie R.

« Reply #71 on: 25 May 2016, 11:52 pm »
Awesome. What a good idea! Very kind and generous of you, too. Im sure you will build in insurance to cover yourself but still, quite generous.
 Jason

I'll include good packaging and as long as everyone uses it, I highly doubt there will be loss/damage.  If that were to happen, of course
I will take responsibility.  No worries about paying insurance when you ship to the next user (the time required to fight the claim and follow up, get stuck on the phone for hours, etc. is not worth it).  Just get a tracking number to send to the next user and I think we'll be OK. 

Quote from: jtwrace
I"m not going there...I'm not going there...I'm not going there...

:tempted:   :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: 25 May 2016, 11:55 pm »

:tempted:   :green:
You have done enough of that to me over the last few months.   :oops:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #73 on: 25 May 2016, 11:57 pm »
You have done enough of that to me over the last few months.   :oops:
I'm planning on binging my LIO to the NC G2G on June 18.  Too bad that DHT setup will not be ready.  haha.  Maybe then I could do the same to them.   :lol:

yardbird4

« Reply #74 on: 27 May 2016, 04:19 am »
Hi Steve,

Yes - and they can be installed / removed at any time (for those who want or don't want them in place).

Vinnie

Vinnie will enclosing the tubes in the covers while operating the unit shorten the lifespan of the Tubes?

olegausany

« Reply #75 on: 27 May 2016, 07:21 am »
All,

I forgot to mention:

Vinnie

Great idea, hopefully my last night pre-order will be running by that time

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #76 on: 27 May 2016, 12:44 pm »
Hi all,

I have a potentially dumb question.  Does the external power supply for the DHT PRE negate any benefit of the ultracapacitors?

Thanks in advance.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: 27 May 2016, 12:46 pm »
Hi all,

I have a potentially dumb question.  Does the external power supply for the DHT PRE negate any benefit of the ultracapacitors?

Thanks in advance.
No, not at all.

sfox7076

« Reply #78 on: 27 May 2016, 01:58 pm »
Vinnie will enclosing the tubes in the covers while operating the unit shorten the lifespan of the Tubes?

It won't.  Covers have been used forever on tubes.  The filaments and metal elements inside can take the heat.  Heck, the filament/cathode is the the one creating it...

So I am a self declared DHT junkie and am really interested in this implementation.  That said, I have a few questions about the implementation.  What voltages can you select for the filament supply (with 4A tubes usable, it has enough current to run anything)?  Are the filaments supplied with AC or DC?  Without going into your design (unless you want to), what is the voltage you put on the plate?  I ask because there are a few DHTs that I love (mostly those with thoriated tungsten filaments), but are not on your list.  Looking forward to your answers.

As an aside, I have about 20 WE 101Ds and never had a hum traceable to the tubes.  Not saying it does not happen, but they are not usually hum prone in my experience.  That said, I also only use DC on the filaments (that is a huge debate not suitable for this forum).   

One last thing.  the Western Electric 101Ds use a UV tube socket (4 small pins all the same size).  The Lio has UX tube sockets (two big pins (for the filament) and two small pins).  If you want to use original 101Ds, you will likely need adapters (some sockets will allow a UV tube to lean against the filament connections, but that is a recipe for disaster in my opinion).

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: 27 May 2016, 02:43 pm »
Vinnie-

What's the DHT like with the HPA?