Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house
« Reply #120 on: 24 Mar 2014, 04:48 pm »
Vinnie, what output caps do you use?    Any plans to offer cap options?   Duelund, Jupiter ...

Hi kngale1,

The only cap is the output cap that follows the tube stage.  It is a Wima MKS2 with a polystyrene bypass.  I really love this combo together with
the tube output stage circuit!  Very open and natural, and overall quite neutral.  So I would leave it alone and then play with some NOS tubes to fine tune the sound signature. 

RWA-Z1ES-2

Definitely getting an improvement from the power supply board upgrades - last night listening showed even better decay, micro detail retrieval,
and more silence between the notes.  I still need to update the power supply caps on the audio boards to finalize this mod package, but so was impressed with what the SiC diodes, Muse caps, and C-L-C power input filtering are bringing to the table!

This leads me to believe that taking the next step into battery power for the critical sections is going to make this a mind-blowing source! I'm very excited and please with how things are turning out with this!!!  :bounce:

Vinnie

alan1946

« Reply #121 on: 25 Mar 2014, 07:32 am »
hi guys see that some have the HAPZIES UNIT.   I HAD PROBLEMS WITH THIS UNIT .   25000 CDS RIPPED PLUS 100 HIGH RES ALUMS.  XTENDED UNIT WITH 2 TERA.  COULDNT GET ANY MOBILE APP WORKING PROPERLY /STOP/STARTING /SLUGGISH ETC  READ SOME WERE IT CAN ONLY COPE WITH 20000 TRACKS SAY 1000ALBUMS. CAND SOMEONE CONFIRM THAT THEY HAVE MORE THAN A 1000 CDS ON UNIT AND IT WORKS PERFECT.

I was not happy with this unit so I took it back for refund.// £2000 it costs in u.k.
would like to repurchase if because I want to get away from streaming and do like the dsd sound too. sony support UKwas poor . very poor any one help please  allan Yorkshire uk 

alan1946

« Reply #122 on: 25 Mar 2014, 07:34 am »
should 2500 cds thanks

wisnon

« Reply #123 on: 25 Mar 2014, 10:00 am »
With just 1TB, it wont hold much in the way of DSD ISO. I guess it will do more if you have DSF albums. Still with DSD and Hirez, you can easily run up to more than 4 TB fast.

munosmario

« Reply #124 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:08 pm »
With just 1TB, it wont hold much in the way of DSD ISO. I guess it will do more if you have DSF albums. Still with DSD and Hirez, you can easily run up to more than 4 TB fast.

Wisnon, poster is not inquiring about unit's internal drive "capacity" (which, obviously, depends on the type of files stored). He wants to know if any actual users have also experienced operational sluggishness and other problems that he experienced with unit when loaded with about 20,000 tracks from CDs. He basically wants to ascertain if unit he owned and then returned was most likely defective--since he appears to really like the concept behind unit's design (never mind your "so last century" assessment :scratch:). Incidentally, this sort of user experience becomes relevant for those contemplating owning a modified unit since Sony's warranty would be invalidated.

Mario

noiseless

« Reply #125 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:23 pm »
Gentlemen, if Vinnie don't mind I suggest to keep this thread related with his modifications only.
Thanks,
Ivo

munosmario

« Reply #126 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:43 pm »
Gentlemen, if Vinnie don't mind I suggest to keep this thread related with his modifications only.
Thanks,
Ivo

Sorry, Ivo.....but I thought that potential Vinnie's mod owners (like yourself) could benefit, just as Alan 1946, from learning about actual user experience from stock unit owners. If Alan1946's returned unit happens to be a fluke, we could all be at peace, couldn't we?

Mario

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #127 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:51 pm »
Here's a couple stock HAP threads, one of which Alan1946 also posted to.  I agree; leave stock issues over there.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124685.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123436.0

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #128 on: 25 Mar 2014, 03:00 pm »
I am sure Vinnie wouldn't mind me squashing this.  I had 3tb's worth of DSD full on a external and the 1tb internal full without issue.  Ok now back to hearing about Vinnies exciting stuff!

If anyone has questions about this they can PM me.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #129 on: 25 Mar 2014, 03:18 pm »
hi guys see that some have the HAPZIES UNIT.   I HAD PROBLEMS WITH THIS UNIT .   25000 CDS RIPPED PLUS 100 HIGH RES ALUMS.  XTENDED UNIT WITH 2 TERA.  COULDNT GET ANY MOBILE APP WORKING PROPERLY /STOP/STARTING /SLUGGISH ETC  READ SOME WERE IT CAN ONLY COPE WITH 20000 TRACKS SAY 1000ALBUMS. CAND SOMEONE CONFIRM THAT THEY HAVE MORE THAN A 1000 CDS ON UNIT AND IT WORKS PERFECT.

I was not happy with this unit so I took it back for refund.// £2000 it costs in u.k.
would like to repurchase if because I want to get away from streaming and do like the dsd sound too. sony support UKwas poor . very poor any one help please  allan Yorkshire uk

Hi anan1946,

Welcome to AC and the RWA forum!  I have not had experience with loading 2500 CDs yet.  I've been 'cherry-picking' some of my favorites so far.  I wonder if the problem has to do with the fact that you were using a 2TB external USB drive (vs. if a larger HDD was installed inside the unit)?

I recommend you also post here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123436.0
as this is a more general discussion thread about the stock player than this RWA thread, which is more "modification-centric."  Hopefully your post will get more exposure there and responses from those who already have > 1000 albums loaded.

-----

RWA-Z1ES-2

Last night I completed the upgrade to the power supply rail decoupling caps on the audio board (the ones for the d/a chips and clocking). I'm happy to report that Z1ES-2 was successful in:

- Bringing better attack and decay of the notes. 
- Offering more silence between the notes from a blacker background level.
- Enhancing fine-detail retrieval. 

It really unravels more information out of well-recorded high resolution tracks.  Shelby Lynne's "Just a Little Lovin" in DSD is an example of a dream album that shows off how good it can get!  :drool:

I added the RWA-Z1ES-2 package to our website:
http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwa-z1es-x
It includes everything from RWA-Z1ES-2, but the power supply board mods and well as more vibration damping inside the enclosure.

I know, I know ... more pictures need to be added to the website.  I'll get there, but for now I need to put the time into the modification R&D
and will catch up with the website after.

OPTIONS

I am still working out options that can be added to Z1ES-1 or Z1ES-2 packages if desired, such as:

Volume controlled output:  I spoke with John Chapman of Bent Audio yesterday and discussed volume controls.  We both believe that the remote controlled stereo Alps pot would give the best value / bang-for-the-buck.  The idea (still to be tested here this week) is that it would be installed on the rear panel (as close to the tube stage boards as possible for the shortest, cleanest signal path).  It would be controlled via the Sony remote handset, or the Sony App.  The MUTE feature on the remote/app would also work.  And when you turn the unit ON, the volume would return to MIN before the unit even boots up.  The reason for this is because there would not be a display on the front panel to show the volume position.

- The other option (which can also be offered as an upgrade) is the more expensive Bent Hybrid Resistor board (60 position stepped attenuator volume control boards in a shunt configuration, so only one precision resistor in the signal path).  The would also be remote controlled with MUTE feature like the Alps pot above, with return to MIN volume upon boot up. 

I'm also thinking that with the Bent Hybrid Resistor option, their PRM-1 controller could be mounted to the front panel.  I'm not too sure how it would look there, but it is doable and allows for one to see the volume setting and also control it from the front panel - for those who really want to know where the volume control is set to and be able to control it w/o a remote.

- For those who want to take it to the extreme, the Bent Slagleformer (TVC) modules could be implemented!  These are probably one of the finest volume controls available.  You pay a premium for them, but if you want to do away with your preamp and want the very best, this should do it! Again, the PRM-1 controller could be installed on the front.

Do check out these Bent Audio offerings: http://bentaudio.com/index2.html

NOTE - I haven't tried installing these in the Sony yet, but I am quite confident that it could be done.  So contact me if you want to be the first to do it.

Anlog input:   This option can be added for someone who wants to feed their analog source into the RWA-Z1ES-1/2 for it to go through the remote volume control and tube output stage.  Like the remote volume control option, this is for those who don't want to use a preamplifier in their system - but the analog input would allow for an analog source (e.g. Phonostage) to be added.

Upgrade to SSD:

- I am finally going to order a 1TB SSD today and test it out.  I think we all know about the advantages of going from HDD to SSD.

RWA-Z1ES-1-BAL and RWA-Z1ES-2-BAL

- The same mod packages as the single-ended version, only applied to the balanced (XLR) outputs instead of the single-ended (RCA) output jacks.

-----

RWA-Z1ES-3

I'll be working on making a custom, external Black Lightning LiFePO4 battery power supply to provide super clean, high-current power to the d/a converters, clocks, and tube output stages, oh my!  :green:
I'd like for this external battery to automatically turn ON and OFF when the Sony player is turned ON/OFF so you don't have to think about it.  But there could also be a mode that keeps it turned OFF (when you have the Sony ON just for transferring music).  This will take a couple of weeks to develop, but I expect some really good things with it!

User Reviews / Testimonials

Smargo received his RWA-Z1ES-1 yesterday, so I suspect he'll be posting in the next few days.  Another customer had a stock Sony drop-shipped to me from Crutchfield and is deciding on what mod package to go with. 

Having new units drop-shipped to me for modification is fine - but please have the tracking number and your name in the shipping label so I know it belongs to you.  E.g. Red Wine Audio, John Doe, etc.

Review units will also be sent out in due time.  Right now I have a stock unit and my Z1ES-2 modded unit going into the Isabella preamp so I can do easy A/B'ing.  Having the burned-in stock unit here has been very helpful in allowing me to listen to where I was, and where I am going with the modification process.  It's really hard to go back to the stock for more than a track or two...  :wink:

Vinnie 

munosmario

« Reply #130 on: 25 Mar 2014, 03:57 pm »
Apologies, Ivo & Vinnie. Forgot about that "stock" thread...lazy me, wanted all in just one thread :green:.

Regarding SSD, are there any issues in there (OS compatibility or hardware connectivity) that do not (or may not) allow for user friendly substitution? I upgraded to SSD rather easily one of my laptops (but I reckon that the HAP-Z1ES's inner computer environment may have unique characteristics). What type of SSD are you contemplating  SLC (single-level cell) or MLC (multi-level cell)? I gather you could also try an external-USB-ready SSD for the back USB port and compare.

Cheers,

Mario

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #131 on: 25 Mar 2014, 04:32 pm »
Regarding SSD, are there any issues in there (OS compatibility or hardware connectivity) that do not (or may not) allow for user friendly substitution? I upgraded to SSD rather easily one of my laptops (but I reckon that the HAP-Z1ES's inner computer environment may have unique characteristics). What type of SSD are you contemplating  SLC (single-level cell) or MLC (multi-level cell)? I gather you could also try an external-USB-ready SSD for the back USB port and compare.

Hi Mario,

Good question and this is something that I need to confirm.  I read (I think on the Audiogon forum) that someone did the SSD conversion by cloning the SSD with the stock drive and it worked fine.  I think I also read that someone installed the new drive and did a full 'reformat' using the Sony player's Settings menu and it worked fine.  But I need to check into all of this for myself. 

I have no interest in using an external USB drive.  I want the drive's data to go directly to the microprocessor and the path is already very short inside the Sony for this (drive is a few inches from the processor board).  And I want to keep external clutter to a minimum.  And I think the connection would be faster using the direct SATA port on the microcontroller instead of going SATA > USB (external drive) and then USB > SATA again (inside the Sony), and no need for putting more load on the 5V bus.  Just me being anal about this sort of thing.  :roll:   :lol:

Not sure if there is a 2.5" SLC offered in 1TB (or larger).  I have to look into this..

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #132 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:46 pm »
All,

The 1TB SSD should be here on Friday.  Looking at the specifications, the read/write speeds should be faster.  No noise at all from SSD.  Sonically, I'm curious if there will be any improvement.  Reliability should be excellent compared to the stock HDD.  We'll see...

RWA-Z1ES-3 (continued)

I really want this modification package to take the performance to the max and besides the battery power feed to the critical sections, I also plan to use "super regulator"boards after the battery feed for the d/a converters' 5V and 3.3V power feeds, and a separate 3.3V regulator for the clocking.  We're talking orders of magnitude improvement in lowering the noise floor, with no ripple at all from the pure battery feed.  And for those who know my tube stage, you already know how silent it runs... especially from LiFePO4 battery feeding both the B+ and the filament regulators.   8)

I am sure Vinnie wouldn't mind me squashing this.  I had 3tb's worth of DSD full on a external and the 1tb internal full without issue.  Ok now back to hearing about Vinnies exciting stuff!

If anyone has questions about this they can PM me.

Hi harri009,

Thanks for letting us know that you proved that out.  Wow - 4TB of storage!  :thumb: 

- Vinnie

kngale1

« Reply #133 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:39 pm »
The 1TB SSD should be here on Friday.  Looking at the specifications, the read/write speeds should be faster.  No noise at all from SSD.  Sonically, I'm curious if there will be any improvement.  Reliability should be excellent compared to the stock HDD.  We'll see...
Vinne, how much $ for the 1TB SSD?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #134 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:54 pm »
Vinne, how much $ for the 1TB SSD?

kngale1,

The one I am going to be testing is $595.  Installing / test service (if this works out like I hope) will probably add $100.  I'll get back to you
on this once I do do the installation and configuration to see what it is all about.

Vinnie

noiseless

« Reply #135 on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:34 pm »
Hi Vinnie, a question that I think hasn't been discussed before: the pcm1795 output is balanced - is your tube stage with balanced input, please? If yes, how do you do the BAL/SE conversion - OpAmp-, discrete- or transformer-based? Is the BAL-SE stage powered separately from the I/V stage or can it be, please?
Thank you!
Ivo

Merko

« Reply #136 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:05 pm »
Vinnie -

I purchased and received my Sony HAP-Z1ES around 6 - 7 weeks ago, and after gaining the measure of this unit, I have become absolutely thrilled with its sound and function.  I can only imagine what your modification packages will do for the sound quality (!!!).

The Sony unit is groundbreaking in several respects, not so much in others.  However, I am wondering about the potential effects of any future Sony firmware/system software updates on a modified unit.  I would imagine that the fundamental electrical properties of the Sony will not change at all with any such upgrade.  But additional features, tweaks to power supply utilization and processing algorithms could conceivably be forthcoming. Operating system tweaks to improve the read/write speed could also be in their plans.

A company the size of Sony is (understandably or not) tight-lipped about any upcoming changes, and unless I am mistaken, probably do not issue many NDA's to outfits such as yours.

What can you say - in the absence of any (publicly) known firmware changes - that might be reassuring regarding post-modification, post-update function of this lovely unit?

Thank you!

Merko  :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #137 on: 27 Mar 2014, 01:01 am »
I purchased and received my Sony HAP-Z1ES around 6 - 7 weeks ago, and after gaining the measure of this unit, I have become absolutely thrilled with its sound and function.  I can only imagine what your modification packages will do for the sound quality (!!!).

The Sony unit is groundbreaking in several respects, not so much in others.  However, I am wondering about the potential effects of any future Sony firmware/system software updates on a modified unit.  I would imagine that the fundamental electrical properties of the Sony will not change at all with any such upgrade.  But additional features, tweaks to power supply utilization and processing algorithms could conceivably be forthcoming. Operating system tweaks to improve the read/write speed could also be in their plans.

Hi Merko,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!  Glad you hear you are enjoying your Z1ES's sound quality and functionality.  :beer:

Good question - and the answer is that I do NOT believe that any firmware update(s) that Sony issues for this unit in the future will have
a conflict with the RWA-Z1ES-X mods.  I cannot see how there could be a conflict with what I am doing.  I'll go a step beyond that and say that if there was any type of conflict, I would take care of it under the 5-year warranty that I provide for the mods.  I'm that confident that firmware changes will not be an issue.  :wink:

Hi Vinnie, a question that I think hasn't been discussed before: the pcm1795 output is balanced - is your tube stage with balanced input, please? If yes, how do you do the BAL/SE conversion - OpAmp-, discrete- or transformer-based? Is the BAL-SE stage powered separately from the I/V stage or can it be, please?
Thank you!

Hi Ivo,

Yes - the tube stages do the BAL to SE conversion for each channel.
Yes - there is separate power for the d/a, I/V, and tube output.  And when the RWA-Z1ES-3 package is released, they will all be ran from a battery power supply, but will each their their own super regulator boards (separate 5V and 3.3V for the d/a chips, separate 3.3V for the clocking, separate for the tube output stages).  This should come to form in a few weeks, but in the meantime, the Z1ES-1 and Z1ES-2 modifications are rolling!  8)

All,

I want to announce that Ted Brady will be reviewing an RWA-Z1ES-3 unit for www.computeraudiophile.com when it is available!  Ted has evaluated numerous PCM and DSD dacs at all different price points, so I believe he is a great choice for reviewing the RWA-Z1ES-3 and hearing where it stacks up. 

In the meantime, customer feedback is both welcomed and appreciated.  We can start a new thread on the RWA forum to post listening impressions, and I can link to it from this thread.  Just trying to keep it organized as possible because I know these pages add up and it gets hard to find info.  Maybe I need to make a table of contents one day...  :lol:

Vinnie

peterlim8

« Reply #138 on: 27 Mar 2014, 01:15 am »

I remembered some where said that the magic number is 40,000 tracks. That is the Hap will support up to this number, irregardless of size, till now.

steve in jersey

« Reply #139 on: 27 Mar 2014, 04:45 am »
I really don't want to take up too much space here on this posting here on the RWA Z1ES thread as Vinnie was kind enough to start this thread to discuss his plans to improve upon this player. So I'll try to keep this observation a shorter length (I said try, as I go off on tangents quite often)

While no product is ever as good or as bad as people say, I find it very interesting that those people who are
reporting having positive experiences w/ their Z1 are going into much greater detail explaining what steps & the sequence they followed to perform these steps while those having some problems generally have just said "I did (so &.so, etc) & then I had a problem with this" If they can't give a more detailed account of what they attempted to do & how they attempted this, there is no real way to judge if the player was at fault or the
user may have missed something during the setup.

The setup procedure for the Z1ES is not the suggested steps they "are" the steps the player wants to see. Someone may want to counter this with "I can & have setup all kinds of equipment, why is this any different"
That would be because other players with the same unique specific functionality don't exist.

Well, I tried to make it short