Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

gdayton

• Industry Participant
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #160 on: 22 Dec 2013, 01:45 am »
I'll read up on it, but it may have something to do with the fact that the Mytek is a pro model, and they may have licensed DSD as such. I don't have any DSD files, and none of my DACs support DSD, so I haven't verified it. The vast majority of files I have are CD's I've ripped myself, and the remainder are my own DVD-A rips and hi-res PCM downloads.

Marius

« Reply #161 on: 22 Dec 2013, 09:56 am »
 Hi Chris,

Playing Michael Bubles Christmas album through mpod, I got Daft Punk on the front panel display... I actually played them last night, not the dummy in manic moose ;-)
Only after the first track was completed, front panel came along with Michael.

Never happened before, front panel always displays what's happening.

Cheers, Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #162 on: 23 Dec 2013, 03:19 pm »
Hi Chris,

Playing Michael Bubles Christmas album through mpod, I got Daft Punk on the front panel display... I actually played them last night, not the dummy in manic moose ;-)
Only after the first track was completed, front panel came along with Michael.

Never happened before, front panel always displays what's happening.

Cheers, Marius

sounds like something may have crashed, likely either /bin/mpd_client.js or /bin/brystonpanel.php, where the front panel controls still responsive?

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #163 on: 23 Dec 2013, 04:20 pm »
couldn't say Chris, it was over before I realised i should have tried...

Took exactly 1 track.
No harm done.

Marius

sounds like something may have crashed, likely either /bin/mpd_client.js or /bin/brystonpanel.php, where the front panel controls still responsive?

Cheers,
Chris

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #164 on: 23 Dec 2013, 04:23 pm »
Chris,

My attempt at Manic Moose appeared to go smoothly enough during the installation, but I couldn't do anything with it. I really liked the new design, but all I could do was play files without any other visual feedback than the time display. Even the front of the player gave no indication that a file was playing. I couldn't do anything else. I could open screens, but there was no response with anything on them.

Oh well, the return path to Loony Loon was smoothly paved. Thanks for the clear and simple procedure. The latest release of the old firmware is an improvement over what I had.

Should I have another go at the Manic Moose beta, or should I just wait for the official release? For the upgrade, I detached the USB hard drive (the player would have to rebuild the file list anyway) and attached a freshly formatted 4GB thumb drive for the scratch space. Except for the fact that the shutdowns would not complete without intervention, the upgrade process couldn't have been smoother - or, so it appeared.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #165 on: 23 Dec 2013, 05:51 pm »
Chris,

My attempt at Manic Moose appeared to go smoothly enough during the installation, but I couldn't do anything with it. I really liked the new design, but all I could do was play files without any other visual feedback than the time display. Even the front of the player gave no indication that a file was playing. I couldn't do anything else. I could open screens, but there was no response with anything on them.

Oh well, the return path to Loony Loon was smoothly paved. Thanks for the clear and simple procedure. The latest release of the old firmware is an improvement over what I had.

Should I have another go at the Manic Moose beta, or should I just wait for the official release? For the upgrade, I detached the USB hard drive (the player would have to rebuild the file list anyway) and attached a freshly formatted 4GB thumb drive for the scratch space. Except for the fact that the shutdowns would not complete without intervention, the upgrade process couldn't have been smoother - or, so it appeared.

Hi Kevin,

The manic moose firmware has been in an odd state, we had some very troubling issues a few weeks ago; however that seems to be behind us now (fingers crossed).  Development has slowed to a crawl this past week or two, but should pick up in the next week or two to fix a number of issues with the new media player (max 2 replacement).  We are aiming to have either a stable or near stable release for end of February and I think its a reasonable goal that we can hit.  If your interested just check this thread to see what's going on with manic moose.

Cheers,
Chris

Wim J

« Reply #166 on: 27 Dec 2013, 10:36 pm »
Again the same problem with the MD5 check on the latest firmware 2013-12-23,... Had to use the ALT-version on previous frimware as well..

UPDATE: ok again after five downloades,....  :scratch:
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2013, 07:16 am by Wim J »

skunark

« Reply #167 on: 29 Dec 2013, 09:37 pm »
Chris,

Seems like i'm not the only one with download issues here, but on the download page can you add a MD5/SHA1 checks at the end and auto-redownload if one fails?    Perhaps a self-signed tarball might be easier to catch failed downloads.

Jim

Marius

« Reply #168 on: 30 Dec 2013, 04:14 pm »
md5 check error here...

whats the ALT-version?

Marius

Again the same problem with the MD5 check on the latest firmware 2013-12-23,... Had to use the ALT-version on previous frimware as well..

UPDATE: ok again after five downloades,....  :scratch:

Marius

« Reply #169 on: 30 Dec 2013, 04:39 pm »
tried it 4 more times. latest iteration gives:

What it the wise thing to do...
Marius

Wim J

« Reply #170 on: 30 Dec 2013, 05:47 pm »
I'm not sure what is causing it but I had some succes before, erasingvthe whole usb stick, and redownloading the firmware. But sometimes you need to keep on trying for some reason.
But even this release becomes unresponsive after a short while. Luckily, third party client are possible to display the correct info and initiate files playing.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #171 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:05 am »
tried it 4 more times. latest iteration gives:

What it the wise thing to do...
Marius

that should be a successful installation of the firmware,
the first line is the location of the upgrade with a full valid path
the next three lines are the three md5 values for the firmware and boot files
the next six lines is the md5 checksum before installing to the cf card and then after installing to the cf card

At which point the bdp should reboot on its own, usually within a minute or two.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #172 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:10 am »
Hi Chris,

updating to firmware 26 give this, it won't install:

What to do? Tried dl'ing it again, to no avail. There's no vmlinuz in this download? the progress bar stays empty on it.

Marius

the example below shows that the firmware failed the md5 check of the firmware after it had been copied to the cf card.  This indicates that the downloaded copy of the firmware files are fine, so no need to re-download the firmware.  The failure is likely due to either software issue preventing the BDP's cf card containing the active firmware from becoming writeable or there is some volume corruption, in which case you should send us an email.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #173 on: 31 Dec 2013, 03:16 pm »
Check,
update succeeded.

What about the last line though? Just curious to know what it means.

Marius

that should be a successful installation of the firmware,
the first line is the location of the upgrade with a full valid path
the next three lines are the three md5 values for the firmware and boot files
the next six lines is the md5 checksum before installing to the cf card and then after installing to the cf card

At which point the bdp should reboot on its own, usually within a minute or two.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #174 on: 31 Dec 2013, 03:22 pm »
Hi Chris,

how to know?

I  believe indeed this happens when writing to the root of the cf card, and updates going fine when written on the BDP attached usb drive. But i don't want the updates there. The leave all kind of files behind, and i don't want the music files to be mixed with BDP-firmware residue. Also because i want those USB rives to be read by other machines.
One of the reasons i asked about downloading to the HD of my computer before. Like it was before, quite to everyones satisfaction i believe?

Anyhow, writing to the cf card ought to be successful too, so what is happening, why, and how can we prevent it from corrupting the updating process?

Cheers,

Marius

the example below shows that the firmware failed the md5 check of the firmware after it had been copied to the cf card.  This indicates that the downloaded copy of the firmware files are fine, so no need to re-download the firmware.  The failure is likely due to either software issue preventing the BDP's cf card containing the active firmware from becoming writeable or there is some volume corruption, in which case you should send us an email.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #175 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:43 pm »
Check,
update succeeded.

What about the last line though? Just curious to know what it means.

Marius

Hi Marius,

the last line is produced by the sync command, it ensures that all writes to the cf card are final before doing a filesystem check, if something is found in the filesystem check it would be printed after the sync the command.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #176 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:51 pm »
Hi Chris,

how to know?

I  believe indeed this happens when writing to the root of the cf card, and updates going fine when written on the BDP attached usb drive. But i don't want the updates there. The leave all kind of files behind, and i don't want the music files to be mixed with BDP-firmware residue. Also because i want those USB rives to be read by other machines.
One of the reasons i asked about downloading to the HD of my computer before. Like it was before, quite to everyones satisfaction i believe?

Anyhow, writing to the cf card ought to be successful too, so what is happening, why, and how can we prevent it from corrupting the updating process?

Cheers,

Marius

Hi Marius,

We could return to the old method; however keep in mind that doing so would require downloading over 400MB of data each time you wanted to changed firmware revisions, the new method allows you to backup the existing firmwares and the new system should just be keeping everything in a folder labelled "bdp_firmware" which you can move to your PC after an upgrade from the USB drive.  Unless I'm missing something I don't see a problem that can't be fixed by simply using a spare USB thumb drive?

Cheers,
Chris

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #177 on: 31 Dec 2013, 06:47 pm »
I'm with you here Chris. Would another possibility be creating a partition on the CF Card if someone didn't want to take up an extra USB port or use an extra drive?
My 2 cents...

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #178 on: 31 Dec 2013, 08:41 pm »
I'm with you here Chris. Would another possibility be creating a partition on the CF Card if someone didn't want to take up an extra USB port or use an extra drive?
My 2 cents...

Well that is already an option, (/mnt/img) is the internal cf card

Marius

« Reply #179 on: 2 Jan 2014, 07:32 am »
You're right Chris, never thought of using a separate usb thumb drive for that  :duh:
I'd love it to have the Bryston Logo printed on it though, to match the Bryston Thumb that accompanied the BPD. My back usb ports are full, and only have one front port free. (still on a bdp1...)

Im not specifically asking to go back to the old days, and ways of doing things, but still, wouldn't it be possible to add the option in the folderselection-dropdownbox, of a folder on one's pc/Mac? Why would that prevent all the options you mention are possible with the new method?

Marius

Hi Marius,

We could return to the old method; however keep in mind that doing so would require downloading over 400MB of data each time you wanted to changed firmware revisions, the new method allows you to backup the existing firmwares and the new system should just be keeping everything in a folder labelled "bdp_firmware" which you can move to your PC after an upgrade from the USB drive.  Unless I'm missing something I don't see a problem that can't be fixed by simply using a spare USB thumb drive?

Cheers,
Chris