Alnico Monitor height: ear level?

rebbi

Alnico Monitor height: ear level?
« on: 20 Jul 2015, 09:55 pm »
Hi, Folks,
I thought of including this question in my thread on speaker stand alternatives, but then decided to break it out into a separate topic because I figure somebody will be asking this question in the future and doing it this way will make an answer easier to find.
 :eyebrows:

What are you finding is the ideal height for Omega monitors? Conventional wisdom with most speakers is that you want the tweeter at ear level. Is the consensus for Omega monitors that you want the center of the driver at ear level, too? And are any of you tilting your monitors back at all to change alignment relative to your ears?

I am kind of scratching my head over this because my listening position is a bit unusual. My room doubles as a guest bedroom and I sit on a day bed to listen to music - that puts my ears about 40" off the floor, IIRC, which I'm guessing is higher than would be the case on a conventional sofa or chair.

Anyway, given that I'm going to have to eventually buy a pair of fixed height stands, how do I get speaker height right the first time?

Thanks for your wisdom and guidance.   :dunno:

Wind Chaser

Re: Alnico Monitor height: ear level?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2015, 10:37 pm »
Forget conventional wisdom and don't fall into line with a consensus. Experiment and use your own judgment. How else can you truly decide on what you like?

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:47 am »
Obviously WC, you're right. However, the OP wants to see what others are doing too. So let's try and be helpful rather than shoot a thread down before it can even start. Perhaps others have found a great solution that would work well for him, or would at least give him some ideas to experiment with.

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:50 am »
Obviously WC, you're right. However, the OP wants to see what others are doing too. So let's try and be helpful rather than shoot a thread down before it can even start. Perhaps others have found a great solution that would work well for him, or would at least give him some ideas to experiment with.

It's pretty clear what to experiment with:  try different heights, choose the one that sounds best to you.
Even if someone was to suggest a specific height, would an owner not do this anyway??  If so, what's the purpose of seeking input?

This isn't brain surgery.  Never understand why folks need to be told what to do.

Besides, I have seen Omega height recommendations discussed many times in this circle.  I'm sure the OP has also seen them.

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:55 am »
double post

rebbi

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:59 am »
Okay, okay: pretend I never asked.   :duh:

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2015, 01:17 am »
If this has been discussed at length, and EVERYONE but rebbi is expected to be so knowledgeable, then at least post the link to this info. Maybe it's difficult because it's Monday, but it definitely isn't rocket science to try and be helpful. :duh:

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2015, 01:20 am »
Rebbi has posted in the actual threads where it's been discussed.

:deadhorse:

ryanmartinson

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:03 am »
I'm interested in the answer to this question also, so if anyone could give an actual answer or link to the thread mentioned it would be much appreciated.

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2015, 03:24 am »
Use the search feature.   Search on '' omega height ''.   It returns dozens of posts.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2015, 03:27 am »

Do you think OP wants to see what other people are doing merely for the sake curiosity, or does he have a goal in mind? If he has a goal in mind, then my open ended advice is far more helpful and aligned with his goal than a variety of random ideas.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2015, 03:29 am »
It's pretty clear what to experiment with:  try different heights, choose the one that sounds best to you.

This isn't brain surgery.  Never understand why folks need to be told what to do.

Well said.

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2015, 04:29 am »
Do you think OP wants to see what other people are doing merely for the sake curiosity, or does he have a goal in mind? If he has a goal in mind, then my open ended advice is far more helpful and aligned with his goal than a variety of random ideas.

The OP provided room and setup info. Maybe someone else out there has a similar set up and has found good results doing some specific things. Oh wait. You're right! Your general blanket "help" statement covers that......as if you're providing some profound thought that the OP didn't think of before asking for input from others. :duh:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2015, 04:47 am »
The OP provided room and setup info. Maybe someone else out there has a similar set up and has found good results doing some specific things. Oh wait. Your blanket "help" statement covers that. :duh:

While you may think it prudent to hope and wait for some for someone with a similar set up to chime in, another person with some initiative will get the ball rolling and achieve the results they want.

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:00 am »
OK. We can agree that doing something is better than doing nothing. I don't think rebbi has his speakers yet (from Omega). Don't know if it is important to state that or not. If I were to gander a guess, he's trying to prepare for arrival so maybe he'll have a chance at setting them up somewhere close to optimal first time around....especially as he may need to purchase custom stands for his listening height. At the same time, not sure that'd completely matter as they'll need some break-in time anyway which can affect placement to some extent.
So.....wouldn't you say the OP is actually taking initiative here, given that (I don't believe) he has his speakers yet?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:12 am »
Say Rebbi wants a pair of Skylans at $510 a pair - pretty hard to experiment with height.  What's he supposed to do, but ask for help and get a consensus, or else what's a forum for?  He then can draw his own conclusions.  Is he supposed to buy a set of 24" and start hacking them down?  He still has to buy them.  Does he get a set of 18" and put bricks on or under?  He still has to buy them. Either way it could look like a science experiment gone bad. :duh:

Rebbi, mine are on 20" stands (from floor to top of top plate).  I believe this is a happy medium for having the speaker low enough for good bass and high enough for any conventional seating position.  The Alnicos have excellent dispersion, so having your ears a little above the 34.5" high firing line I don't think is going to be a problem.  If it helps, the center of the driver is 14.5" from the bottom edge of the speaker cabinet.  If you have a set of robust 24" stands, that would be a place to start.

Hope this gives you some direction.

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2015, 11:57 am »
pretty hard to experiment with height.

No it's not!  It's quite simple, actually.  Play around with stuff you already have around the house:

Stack some cinder blocks.  Even if not on hand, will cost you a few bux at Home Depot.  Very solid and effective sonically.  I've actually used these as monitor stands -- spkrs sounded great on 'em.  Paint them to better the look.

Plant stands.

Kitchen / dining chairs. 

Bar stools.

Some simple wooden end tables (or any material, for that matter).   In a pinch, I have used these as speaker (and gear) stands:

Adjust the height in small increments with books, bricks, blocks of wood, hockey pucks, etc.  The height of the average kitchen / dining chair is 18 inches.  Maybe a good starting point?

Use your imagination.  Experiment and get a feel for things.  When you find the height that works, then commit to a pair of more expensive dedicated stands. 

Think outside the box.  Not only is it not brain surgery, it's not rocket science either!      :lol:

Good luck in your experimentations.  I'm sure they will sound absolutely superb, even if "off"  by a few inches.  I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.         :thumb:

rebbi

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:10 pm »
OK. We can agree that doing something is better than doing nothing. I don't think rebbi has his speakers yet (from Omega). Don't know if it is important to state that or not. If I were to gander a guess, he's trying to prepare for arrival so maybe he'll have a chance at setting them up somewhere close to optimal first time around....especially as he may need to purchase custom stands for his listening height. At the same time, not sure that'd completely matter as they'll need some break-in time anyway which can affect placement to some extent.
So.....wouldn't you say the OP is actually taking initiative here, given that (I don't believe) he has his speakers yet?

Rdavidson:
Precisely, thank you.  :thumb:

rebbi

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:12 pm »
Say Rebbi wants a pair of Skylans at $510 a pair - pretty hard to experiment with height.  What's he supposed to do, but ask for help and get a consensus, or else what's a forum for?  He then can draw his own conclusions.  Is he supposed to buy a set of 24" and start hacking them down?  He still has to buy them.  Does he get a set of 18" and put bricks on or under?  He still has to buy them. Either way it could look like a science experiment gone bad. :duh:

Rebbi, mine are on 20" stands (from floor to top of top plate).  I believe this is a happy medium for having the speaker low enough for good bass and high enough for any conventional seating position.  The Alnicos have excellent dispersion, so having your ears a little above the 34.5" high firing line I don't think is going to be a problem.  If it helps, the center of the driver is 14.5" from the bottom edge of the speaker cabinet.  If you have a set of robust 24" stands, that would be a place to start.

Hope this gives you some direction.

Yes and yes - that reflects my concerns exactly. And very useful measurements, thank you.  :thumb:

rebbi

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:20 pm »
Wind Chaser and sunnydaze:

I don't really understand the impulse to chastise someone for asking any question,especially, as Canada Rob wrote, in a public forum dedicated to sharing information and answering questions.

I do a lot of teaching in my work. I tell the kids, "The only 'stupid question' is one you don't ask because you're afraid to look stupid."   :lol:

sunnydaze: Your last post was actually very useful. Thank you.

Super Alnico's should be here in around 3.5 weeks!