Monsoon 700 drivers

tbrooke

Monsoon 700 drivers
« on: 25 Mar 2024, 02:45 pm »
I am thinking about backup neo panels and I saw these on E-Bay (Monsoon-700) https://www.ebay.com/itm/116118564629?mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&ch=osgood&euid=a51487d22b1d4f57ab9def6478778b6e&bu=44831264506&ut=RU&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20240325062711&segname=11021

I saw earlier that the Monsoon 702 works and I also saw the Mosnoon 700 series works.

Do these look OK - If so I think I'll grab them (please don't beat me to it)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Monsoon 700 drivers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2024, 04:28 pm »
The ones in the picture look like the 8 vertical slot version.

The ones I have seen for VMPS are the 13 vertical slot version. 

GeorgeAb

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2024, 02:44 am »
Just to add to what Hal said, once you get the right type that looks the same as the ones in your VMPS speakers (3 sections, rounded at top and bottom, NOT square, pics post 62 of this thread https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113470.60), but you also likely need the 3 ohm and not the older 5 ohm version. That is pretty much a crap shoot. Brian went to the 3 ohm version around 2005'ish. This is a currently the only eBay listing that are of the right type, unknown impedence: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285735506351 

Here is a post on what to look for and how to modify. On modification highly recommend not trying to drill out the rivet as it usually results in the rivet rotating and tearing the aluminum foil resulting in the panel being unuseable. https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170897.msg1813464#msg1813464

tbrooke

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2024, 02:12 pm »
I saw those but they have the subwoofer I don't want to pay for. I am still OK and I have a ebay search set for the Monsoon speakers. I don't think those others I found are the right ones.

I checked and I bought my RM30s from John Casler in June 2007 so I probably have the 5 ohm version.

I know that people have spares but still it would be nice to find a source for a replacements that would fit the openings or has anyone looked to see if there is a way to organize a group buy - It seems like there might be a company someplace that would be interested - Not a big market and I know some have spares but there is still the potential of 6 speakers per person

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2024, 06:27 pm »
Any of the larger planers (ie from the 1000, or some of the newer ones) will work.

I sold hundreds of spares (there is a story behind that), but the last of them hit the dumpster during the great purge while i was in hoispital and no one knew if i was coming out.

Good luck, one of the best small multimedia systems.

dave

ST86

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2024, 07:19 pm »
Regarding a group buy, I would suggest the following:

The first thing to do would be to find out how many units the group wants to buy.
Would be easier striking a deal with a source knowing the total number of units.
I'd be in it for at least a few, maybe more.
Please reply here, if interested, with how many units you would want.
Moderator please contact me if this deserves a separate topic thread.

Ed

GeorgeAb

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2024, 01:51 am »

I checked and I bought my RM30s from John Casler in June 2007 so I probably have the 5 ohm version.

I know that people have spares but still it would be nice to find a source for a replacements that would fit the openings or has anyone looked to see if there is a way to organize a group buy - It seems like there might be a company someplace that would be interested - Not a big market and I know some have spares but there is still the potential of 6 speakers per person

Pretty sure you have 3 ohm variant. When I purchased my RM-30 from VMPS in 2006 they were 3 ohm. Everything from around that time to VMPS's closing was 3 ohm. Fairly easy to determine. Remove top driver, remove one of the two wires and measure resistance.

Unfortunately, group buy is not an option as they have been long out of production. Any substitue with another planer driver would take some engineering and it would no longer be a VMPS speaker. There are only really two options GRS which is junk, and Radian good stuff, but would definitely take some engineering. https://radianaudio.com/collections/ribbon/products/lm10n-wide-band-planar-ribbon-transducer

Just be patient and something will pop up on eBay for a reasonable price. With respect to the crapshoot, based on my experience the odds are in your favor. I have purchased many and approximately 80% are the newer 3 ohm version. 

ST86

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2024, 01:44 pm »
Unfortunately, group buy is not an option as they have been long out of production.

Out of production....yeah, that's a problem with getting a group buy.....

---------

Just be patient and something will pop up on eBay for a reasonable price. With respect to the crapshoot, based on my experience the odds are in your favor. I have purchased many and approximately 80% are the newer 3 ohm version.

I concur with George.  Of the different flavors that I have purchased on eBay, both the straight slots and wavey 13 slots, most of them have been the 3 ohm (actual measured value is around 2.8 ohms) version.

Ed

A Beer

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2024, 09:33 pm »
Any of the larger planers (ie from the 1000, or some of the newer ones) will work.

I sold hundreds of spares (there is a story behind that), but the last of them hit the dumpster during the great purge while i was in hoispital and no one knew if i was coming out.

Good luck, one of the best small multimedia systems.

dave

That's really sad to hear. My company did all of their stator plate prototyping (many variations) prior to them going into production. I don't know why they shut down but it's too bad they had such a short life.

Keith

artur9

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2024, 02:01 am »
I'm pretty sure I have that system and I can't believe someone is asking $350 for them.
Mine seem to have more vertical slots than that.