Metrum Octave

briang

Re: Metrum Octave
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2011, 02:42 pm »
Thank you for all the information, but I am a bit bummed.  I use an Olive as a source, which is a server but not in the traditional sense.  I only have an SPDIF output without upsampling.  I also suspect it is a bit jittery.  If you get a chance, could you try the Metrum on a conventional transport?  Thanks.

I am currently using a Dacmagic, but the dac world is changing so fast that I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new dac.  I was hoping the Metrum would get me off the fence.
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2011, 04:51 pm by briang »

srb

« Reply #21 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:06 pm »
The Audiophello sounded more accurate and closer to what I heard with the Off-Ramp - but from memory the Off-Ramp let more detail through and was more dynamic.

Since you are comparing the Audiophilleo with a $1500 Empirical Audio Off-Ramp, perhaps it would make more sense to compare the more expensive ($949) Audiophilleo1, which has an adjustable VirtualCable function to fine tune virtual S/PDIF cable length affecting signal reflections and jitter.

Steve

bhobba

« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:20 pm »
Thank you for all the information, but I am a bit bummed.  I use an Olive as a source, which is a server but not in the traditional sense.  I only have an SPDF output without upsampling.  I also suspect it is a bit jittery.  If you get a chance, could you try the Metrum on a conventional transport?  Thanks.

I am currently using a Dacmagic, but the dac world is changing so fast that I can't seem to pull the trigger on a new dac.  I was hoping the Metrum would get me off the fence.

Sorry mate.  I don't have a conventional transport and the guys I know have all switched to computer audio.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:26 pm »
Since you are comparing the Audiophilleo with a $1500 Empirical Audio Off-Ramp, perhaps it would make more sense to compare the more expensive ($949) Audiophilleo1, which has an adjustable VirtualCable function to fine tune virtual S/PDIF cable length affecting signal reflections and jitter.

Good idea - got one to send out for me to try?  Unfortunately I am a private guy who has to pop his own cash to check stuff out.  I was lucky a friend had an Audiophelleo I could use while my Off-Ramp is being fixed.  I forked out for the Stello but it turned out a bit of a bummer - the Audiophello was quite a bit better - I will be onselling it for a loss.

Thanks
Bill

wilsynet

« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:42 pm »
I use an Olive as a source, which is a server but not in the traditional sense.  I only have an SPDF output without upsampling.  I also suspect it is a bit jittery.  If you get a chance, could you try the Metrum on a conventional transport?

Actually, he already has.  He used the TOSLink output from the Mac Mini into the Metrum Octave and declared the results to be somewhat luke warm.  Decent, but not great:

"Because of that decided to check it using the optical SPDIF out of the Mac Mini but needed a mini jack converter ...[It] works fine but is not even in the same class as when used with the Off-Ramp or Wavelength."

I think that's a reasonable approximation of a conventional transport.  I believe the take away is that the Metrum Octave is rather sensitive to quality of transport.

Wilson

bhobba

« Reply #25 on: 7 Sep 2011, 04:11 am »
I think that's a reasonable approximation of a conventional transport.  I believe the take away is that the Metrum Octave is rather sensitive to quality of transport.

I think that's pretty much correct - not only that but you need to upsample it to 176 for it to really shine.

Thanks
Bill

TomS

« Reply #26 on: 7 Sep 2011, 02:19 pm »

Steve
I own the AP1 version. Per Philip, the AP1 and AP2 are sonically identical, other than the adjustments you noted which are possible. I have used both a direct connection (no cable) and a short cable. The "Virtual Cable" adjustment (5ns adjustments) did not seem to affect my setup sonically for the short cable I use though I didn't spend much time fiddling with it since the AP1 sounds so darn good as is. The extra money for the AP1 over AP2 is really for the OLED display and remote capability which is definitely worth it to me but may not be for others.

The AP can also be slightly improved by isolating the 5v USB supply to a linear, since it is totally bus powered. If you can't put together your own supply and cabling (like I did), I'd suggest trying something like the AQVox as a very inexpensive tweak. That would make the comparisons on the Metrum setup more interesting for sure.

munosmario

« Reply #27 on: 7 Sep 2011, 03:24 pm »
OK here is my write-up of what happened down at Lenehan Audio when comparing the Metrum with Audiophello2 and the PDX.

First so everyone understands the biases etc involved this listening session was done with Mike Lenehan and one of his staff Tony.  They make the PDX it will be compared against so may be biased.  However I had been telling them about this DAC for a while and they were interested in hearing it.  I must also give them my thanks for letting me take time from their busy schedule because they are really busy putting the finishing touches on a new speaker they are working on - I interrupted them while Mike was doing the final tweaks and measurements to the new crossover.

Anyway they set up a pair ML1 Reference speakers and connected them up to the Mac 501's they use.  The Metrum was direct connected to the amps and the volume control of Itunes with Bit-Perfect was used but only initially upsampled to 96K.  First thing that was noticed was how accurate and low distortion it was.  It was easily better than any of the other DAC's I had taken down so they could hear - in fact they said it was even better than they thought it would be from my enthusiastic build up.  However with Kdoot I had noticed the higher the upsampling the better this DAC sounded so we went to 176.  Very noticeably better - greater detail and bass.  The detail was very well defined but perhaps the top was slightly hard and maybe slightly etched.

Ok - we decided to pop in a level 2 PDX which is a PCM1704K DAC that uses the I2S of a modified M2Tech as input and has an SRPP valve output stage.  Immediately it sounded more real and palpable just as it did on my system.  The top end was less etched and the detail was perhaps less defined but there was no sense it was not there.  I thought this was just a characteristic of the valve output stage but Mike was not so sure - he thought something else was going on.  Anyway we popped the Metrum back on and Mike said - got it.  He detected a slight bloom in the lower vocals.  Now he identified it I listened then heard it.  That was it.  It was the bloom that was the cause - its absence made the sound more palpable and real sounding.  Well I will be fooked.

OK to test out the theory we decided to pop on the a base level PDX without exotic stuff like Duelund output capacitors.  The conjecture was it will introduce some of the bloom and guess what it did - maybe half to one third what the Metrum had.  It was sort of halfway between the Metrum and Level 2 PDX in sound.  Mike thought the cause may have been the capacitors in the Metrum.  But when I explained the Metrum had no output stage or capacitors we were scratching our heads. 

Anyway while driving home a thought occurred to me - perhaps it was an artifact of jitter.  Previous tests I had been privy to indicated via I2S the modified M2Tech was better than the Audiophello so maybe what we were hearing was added jitter in the Metrum.  The better output stage of the Level 2 PDX was able to show up this absence of jitter better than the base model.  Anyway before I left we all thought when more time was available it should be done again - but this time with the Off-Ramp

Thanks
Bill

Bill,great stuff, as usual. A couple of questions:

1) I understand source was LA's Mac, the I2S signal, was it fed to the PDX via USB input corresponding to optional USB-to-I2S converter built inside PDX--which, it appears, because of better SQ, makes using an USB-to-SPDIF converter (at the PDX standard SPDIF input) totally unnecessary/redundant--or was it connected directly from Mac (having I2s data line outputs?) into (also) optional I2S inputs in PDX (4 BNC connectors carrying 4 separate I2S data lines)?

2) More than a question, an observation--audition was via MT1's minimonitors that basically stop at 50Hz (your MT3's go into the low 20Hz)...so,  this comparison exercise tells very little about bass performance, don't you agree? I imagine, a fuller response spectrum should render a different perception  of overall SQ comparison. Incidentaly, the  MT3 is not shown at all in LA's web page...it states that MT1 (two versions) is the only production model, any input on this?

Cheers,

Mario

bhobba

« Reply #28 on: 8 Sep 2011, 12:15 am »
Hi Mario

1) I understand source was LA's Mac, the I2S signal, was it fed to the PDX via USB input corresponding to optional USB-to-I2S converter built inside PDX--which, it appears, because of better SQ, makes using an USB-to-SPDIF converter (at the PDX standard SPDIF input) totally unnecessary/redundant--or was it connected directly from Mac (having I2s data line outputs?) into (also) optional I2S inputs in PDX (4 BNC connectors carrying 4 separate I2S data lines)?

It was using the internal USB to I2S converter which is a battery modified M2Tech.  Listening sessions I was fortunate enough to be at showed it was better than the Audiophello, probably because it was direct to I2S whereas the Audiophello converted to SPDIF first.  We have tried battery stuff and USB cable changes as per Toms's post and yes it made a difference - but the M2Tech still won.

2) More than a question, an observation--audition was via MT1's minimonitors that basically stop at 50Hz (your MT3's go into the low 20Hz)...so,  this comparison exercise tells very little about bass performance, don't you agree? I imagine, a fuller response spectrum should render a different perception  of overall SQ comparison. Incidentaly, the  MT3 is not shown at all in LA's web page...it states that MT1 (two versions) is the only production model, any input on this?

On the bass issue two points.  First you are correct Mike Lenehan only specs the ML1's (not MT :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:) to 50hz but that is at full output - at normal levels that go to 40hz - the reason they wont go that low at full output is the woofer excursion will not allow it.  Secondly not a lot of material has stuff below 40hz - a bit of stuff does but mostly it is confined to above 40hz.  That said - yes we were not able - at Lenehan Audio - to check stuff below 40hz.  However I have the ML3's at home and they are flat to 25hz.  When upsampled the bass of the Metrum is good - the PDX is a bit better - but there is not a lot in it.

Lenehan Audio's web site is way out of date - they have ML2's and ML3's available.  I have given a review of the ML3's.  A guy on the forum out here in Australia has given an excellent review of the ML2's:
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/38993-Review-of-the-Brand-New-Lenehan-Audio-ML2

I have heard the ML2's with the guy that wrote the review and was so blown away ordered a pair - but slightly special:
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=3228.0

I am still looking at getting it out to the US but it will take time.  I can not use the normal method like Fed Ex because that will cost something like $3K - gulp  :cry: :cry: :cry:.  Sea shipping is much cheaper and that is what I am looking at - but that takes 2 months.  This is because I really enjoy sending my stuff off for others to hear - I am willing to spend $100.00 or something like that - but $3k - afraid not.

Also the price structure for US guys will be different but dont ask me for details - that is being worked out with Swap Meet Audio:
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=3197.0

Also I want to make clear, I am a satisfied customer of Lenehan Audio that gets a lot of stuff from them (I get a lot of stuff from elsewhere as well such as the Metrum) because I use them as my local Hi Fi shop since they are just 40 minutes away.  Although not on the website they are dealers in a lot of stuff such as Burson and Leben so when I want Hi Fi gear thats were I usually go.  I have no commercial relationship with them other than that.  But becuase I am a good customer I am somtimes invited, along with other guys out our way such as my firend Kdoot, to hear new products such as the ML2. 

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #29 on: 8 Sep 2011, 03:46 am »
Hi Guys

Here is something interesting I just discovered. 

Kdoot couldn't get the Metrum Audiophello combo working at rates above 96K.  I had no problem however -until now.  Just downloaded the latest version of Pure Music and then I started to have the same problem.  At that rate you press the play button and it will not play.  Tried it with a few players - same thing.  But Audirvana was kind enough to actually display an error - it cant get exclusive access.  Anyway dialling it back to 96k is fine.  Then on a whim decided to try the Stello at 192k and it worked fine.  Switched back to the Audiophello and guess what - it now worked fine.  Restarted the mac and the Audiophello would not work.  Used the Sterllo then it started to work.  Wierd hey?

Thanks
Bill

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #30 on: 9 Sep 2011, 07:30 pm »
How I hate reading of computer gremlins.   :evil:

bhobba

« Reply #31 on: 9 Sep 2011, 11:41 pm »
Hi Guys

This is just a note to thanks Steve for fixing my Off-Ramp.

It turned out it was my fault - I, or someone else, had done two things - excessive twisting on the coax lead broke the internal lead and an attempt to insert the USB into the I2S socket also wrecked it. It had nothing to do with the unit developing a fault or anything like that. And guess what - Steve was good enough to fix this for nothing. How's that for service. I also go an upgrade he is offering - the Hynes USB upgrade.

Again many thanks to Steve.

Hopefully it will arrive soon and I can get back to using it with the Metrum.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 2011, 12:35 am »
How I hate reading of computer gremlins.   :evil:

Would you prefer not reading about them and spending hours discovering them for yourself? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #33 on: 10 Sep 2011, 12:51 am »
Would you prefer not reading about them and spending hours discovering them for yourself? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AAAAAArrrrruuuugggghhhh.  I'll stay with my CD transport.   :roll:

adhesiv

« Reply #34 on: 13 Sep 2011, 06:31 am »
Bill,

Any update since you got the offramp back?

bhobba

« Reply #35 on: 14 Sep 2011, 01:08 am »
Any update since you got the offramp back?

Not back yet.  I am in Australia and it takes at least a week for stuff from the US to arrive.  I have not even been advised by Steve he has sent it yet.

Thanks
Bill

adhesiv

« Reply #36 on: 14 Sep 2011, 01:42 am »
ouch! ok anxiously awaiting your update  :D

bhobba

« Reply #37 on: 14 Sep 2011, 07:10 am »
ouch! ok anxiously awaiting your update  :D

Hi Adhesiv

Steve just confirmed it will be sent tomorrow.

Same here mate, same here.  Will post about it as soon as it returns.  This time may even be able to get it working with the PDX.  Now fed by the same source, namely the Off-Ramp, the match up with the Metrum will be very very interesting - my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Thanks
Bill

kyrill

« Reply #38 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:08 pm »
Hi Bill

It is just like a radio play we all have our ears tuned  :)

If I read right you prefer the Audiophilleo( 1 or 2) to Stello 3?
and second would you inform us sonic differences with the metrum between Steve's product and the Audiophilleo2?

bhobba

« Reply #39 on: 16 Sep 2011, 11:23 am »
If I read right you prefer the Audiophilleo( 1 or 2) to Stello 3? and second would you inform us sonic differences with the metrum between Steve's product and the Audiophilleo2

The Audiophello2 is easily better than the U3 - the U3 was fuzzier and had an unnatural darkness to it.  From memory the Off-Ramp revealed more detail and sounded more 'accurate' than the Audeophello.  Hopefully I can do a side by side comparison but I do not own the Audiophello so can not guarantee that will happen.  I think the guy that owns it is interested, he is a friend of mine, but cant promise anything.

Thanks
Bill