Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)

roscoeiii

Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)
« Reply #60 on: 19 Nov 2010, 04:14 pm »
And speaking of Zodiacs, the Antelope Zodiac linear power supply has been spotted in the wild and is will be available for $700 or so. I've also heard through the grapevine that the Zodiac+ sounds fantastic with the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning power supply.

The plot thickens...

PremierAM

« Reply #61 on: 3 Dec 2010, 07:12 pm »
I would like to get some real reviews of upgraded power supplies for the Zodiac+ (Black Lightening, Voltikus, Paul Hynes, Welborne Labs etc.BTW, I will be testing all of my DACs (Zodiac+, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Weiss DAC202 and RWA Isabella) over the next week with both 24 and 16 bit digital music (the RWA dac only plays 16/44 files). 

roscoeiii

« Reply #62 on: 3 Dec 2010, 07:51 pm »
Well, I sure look forward to reading about your comparisons. Please let us know what you find here, or point us to where you may be giving your impressions.

As for the power supplies, I don't think the Antelope linear supply is available yet. I believe it will come out once the Gold is released. As for the Black Lightning, to the best of my knowledge, only Vinnie at RWA and the maker of the Holistic Audio speakers have heard this combo for any significant period of time.

Heck, there's still not a whole ton on the Zodiac+ with the stock supply out on the web yet...

owenmd

« Reply #63 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:02 pm »
I've been watching the steadily evolving DAC market and recently decided that the Antelope was probably most suited to my needs because of its switchable multiple input capability and volume control etc.... a very flexible product it appeared.

Upon first hearing the Zodiac+, I was immediately struck by its speed, transparency and clarity.... squeaky clean.  Detail in abundance, loads of ambient clues and positional detail and the most impressive thing was that you could hear all the details of any instrument that you chose to focus on.... no matter how many were playing at the same time.... impressive separation.  It also had a very big soundstage and bandwidth.... being extended at both ends of the spectrum with ease.

However.... although the technical aspects of the DAC are VERY impressive, I simply wasn't enjoying listening to it...?  It was difficult to put your finger on what was wrong as well?  It sounded almost like a large 3D sounstage with beautifully painted, but 2D cardboard cutout performers within it.... something was missing?

I read this DAC takes time to start sounding right, so I let it run with my amp turned off 24/7.  At about 200 hours, the bass tightened and became more delinerated and tuneful.  At 250hrs, there wasn't much change apart from becoming a little weightier across the range and more organic.... better, but not right.  I had several times thought to return this DAC, as I simply wasn't enjoying listening to it.  Again, trying to discern just what was wrong.... the only thing I could come up with was the DAC was just not fully forming each note.... maybe only 98% or something, but enough to subconsciously tell me something was wrong?

Then, one evening at about 300hrs+, it suddenly seemed to gel.... I enjoyed it for the very first time.... it started to sound believable and I stopped listening to gear and started listening to music again.  I now have approaching 400 hours on the DAC and it seems to be getting better and better.... or maybe I'm just starting to like its presentation more...?  It's a now very fine DAC IMHO.

If I had any criticism, I would still wish for a touch more flesh on the performers bones and a slightly blacker or inky background.  Both of these aspects are influenced by the power supply and being a wallwart, I'm not surprised.  Marcel at Antelope has suggested that for critical audiophile use or studio mastering, the Voltikus power supply is mandatory.  I've ordered one, but it wont be available until mid-February.... I'm greatly looking forward to the potential impact it may have on sound quality...?

Just thought those contemplating this DAC may be interested in knowing that this thing NEED'S lots of hours to start sounding "right" and enjoyable.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Mark

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #64 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:16 pm »
Mark,
Those are my findings EXACTLY.  I am an imaging freak, so the detail and image specificity out of the box won me over big time, but I soon grew to feel as you did.  It's why I posted on every forum that mentioned the DAC....wait for 400hrs, please!!!  I even told Srajan, but he said that as a reviewer he can't put that kind of time into it..they won't let him keep it that long, usually.  He expressed a trust in what I had found, and said he wished manufacturers/distributors would break these things in if that kind of "aging" is required before we take the first sip.  I mean, wine makers do it, why not audio manufacturers.  :)

Let us know as soon as you feel confident you are hearing what the new Volticus PS brings to the table.  It could be the tipping point.

gabrielo

« Reply #65 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:25 pm »
I heard Zodiac+ with the generic PSU and found it wanting.
I now got it with Teddy Prado PSU and I think it improved a lot in body, warmth and heft
Tracks which lacks warmth are now playing perfectly (IMHO that is)

Now if only they could find a way to get rid of USB LED blinking like crazy every time I stop the music ...

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:38 pm »
Gabrielo,
Thanks for that.  By the way, it's "Teddy Pardo" (spelled so people who are interested could google it).  Can I ask, how much is the Teddy ps?  Which of his ps's is it based on?

owenmd

« Reply #67 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:48 pm »
Now if only they could find a way to get rid of USB LED blinking like crazy every time I stop the music ...

I agree.... those LED's, the "spotlight" white one and the red bar are waaay too bright.  I'm guessing they were intended for unmistakable recognition in a bright studio environment?  Anyway.... it would be nice to have the option to dim them a little.

gabrielo

« Reply #68 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:53 pm »

Can't say for sure what is the price as the dealer bundled it all together DAC/Pardo PSU/AMP/Speakers
The dealer personal take was that the Zodiac DAC is unsaleable with the generic PSU, which after listening to it next to MF-M1 and Ayre DAC I think he was right.
Without the PSU even the $700 MF-M1 DAC had better warmth/body (and the similarly priced Ayre was killing it in that area).
I think that with the new PSU it sounded better in every regard than Ayre (and easily bested the MF-M1)

My guess is that we are talking $300 area, but it could be anywhere from $200-$400
Best is to send an email to Teddy and inquire (teddy@teddypardo.com).

I don't know how to check what it is based on, but I will try and post few photos tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2011, 04:21 pm by gabrielo »

gabrielo

« Reply #69 on: 13 Jan 2011, 06:05 pm »
I agree.... those LED's, the "spotlight" white one and the red bar are waaay too bright.  I'm guessing they were intended for unmistakable recognition in a bright studio environment?  Anyway.... it would be nice to have the option to dim them a little.
The blinking white LED must be SW controlled as it is turned on and off based on USB status so it should be easy to change setting with FW upgrade.
It might be possible to do this using S/W running on the connected PC without flashing anything.

We should try and sign few people to get this XMAS tree mode disabled.

ted_b

• Volunteer

owenmd

« Reply #71 on: 13 Jan 2011, 06:45 pm »
Anybody try these?
http://www.shop.leddim.com/LED-Dim-Dots-24-Pack-745611.htm

Cool.... that could be a simple option if nothing else surfaces, and it finally annoys me enough to take action....!

gabrielo

« Reply #72 on: 14 Jan 2011, 04:23 pm »

owenmd

« Reply #73 on: 16 Feb 2011, 04:51 pm »
Hi guys,

Has anyone else had any experience yet with the Zodiac+ and a different power supply...?  I was supposed to get my Voltikus this week, but Antelope has yet again delayed delivery.... To Sweetwater at least?  I'm chomping at the bit to hear an upgraded PS...!

Having said that, the Zodiac+ has now improved to such a degree with more hours (around 500?) that I could probably live with it using the standard PS alone.  This DAC just does everything so well enabling you to completely forget about gear and just enjoy the music.  The Voltikus will need to be VERY good to justify its high price IMHO.

I have only found one thing I don't like about the DAC.... there's a low level, high pitched squeal that can be heard when the music is not playing.  I've heard this from other bits of digital gear also, computers, satelite recievers etc.  It annoys me, but can't be heard when the music is playing.... I think my ears are just quite sensitive to things like that.  Anyone else noticed it?  I wonder of a new PS wil reduce it...?

Cheers,
Mark

sfig

« Reply #74 on: 16 Feb 2011, 07:10 pm »
I'm very interested in alternate power supplies for my Zodiac+ as well.  I can't find information on when the Volticus may be available in the U.S. and have been holding off buying a Pardo or Wellborne hoping to only upgrade once to the Volticus.  But I'm not sure how much longer I will be holding out.

roscoeiii

« Reply #75 on: 16 Feb 2011, 07:20 pm »
And it also ought to be pointed out that a Red Wine Audio Black Lightning battery power supply can be made for these. Not too much difference in price from the new Zodiac power supply, IIRC

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #76 on: 16 Feb 2011, 07:25 pm »
Marcel (Antelope US) is saying March 1 as of latest.

gabrielo

« Reply #77 on: 16 Feb 2011, 08:21 pm »
I have only found one thing I don't like about the DAC.... there's a low level, high pitched squeal that can be heard when the music is not playing.  I've heard this from other bits of digital gear also, computers, satelite recievers etc.  It annoys me, but can't be heard when the music is playing.... I think my ears are just quite sensitive to things like that.  Anyone else noticed it?  I wonder of a new PS wil reduce it...?

Cheers,
Mark
HI Mark,

I can't hear this pitch from my Zodiac+, tried to put my ear against the speakers and still nothing.
/gabi

DZetye

« Reply #78 on: 16 Feb 2011, 09:12 pm »
I've been trying to find out the DAC chip that Antelope Audio uses in their Zodiac+ but no one seems to know.  Do any of you users happen to know?

dspringham

« Reply #79 on: 16 Feb 2011, 11:01 pm »
All of the Antelope dacs utilize the BurrBrown 1792-A chip.

I have had the Zodiac+ in my system (2010 Mac Mini 4GRAM, SSD, Oyen enclosure/Hitachi 2TB FW external > Pure Music > USB > Zodiac+ > Zu Mission > Allnic TI-1500 300B integrated > Zu Ibis > Zu Soul Superfly) for some time now and feel it sounds great with the stock SMPS. May be just my imagination but I found that when I put an AC Regenerator (Monarchy Audio) in front of the SMPS things improved greatly - more transparency/bigger soundstage.

With the stock supply I'm getting more bass than with my previous DAC setup (Mac Mini > Firewire > Focusrite Saffire > SPDIF > Veloce Black Cat > Monarchy Audio NM24) so I'm in no hurry to upgrade the power supply. However, when I do it will probably be with the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning.

Spoke with Jack Caldwell at Holistic Audio (speaker manufacturer) who has has some experience with the Zodiac+. His opinion is that the Black Lightning supply will best the Antelope linear PS and most any other outboard supply currently available. I think the Red Wine unit would be great since it is price competitive with Antelopes own unit
and isolates from an AC line noise.

Regards,
Dave