Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)

Bigfish

Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)
« Reply #140 on: 3 Mar 2011, 09:30 pm »

Interesting how the Antelope is attracting interest from many of the guys that followed the MWT path.

Cheers,
Mark

Actually many of us progressed from the Bolder Modified Squeezebox>ModWright Modified Transporter>Zodiac+.  We are quite simply married to the convenience of streaming music and want the best sounding streaming digital we can obtain.  Right now the Zodiac+ is at the top of heap. :thumb:

Ken

cryoparts

« Reply #141 on: 3 Mar 2011, 11:19 pm »
Apparently Voltikus was sent to Sweetwater yesterday...?

Got mine yesterday!  Breaking it in now.

Lee

owenmd

« Reply #142 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:15 am »
Got mine yesterday!  Breaking it in now.

Lee

Come on Lee.... spill the beans on your first impressions.... some of us are chomping at the bit here...!  :green:
I know it needs to run in, but I'm sure it sounds better than the wallwart straight out the box.... share please.

Cheers,
Mark

cryoparts

« Reply #143 on: 4 Mar 2011, 02:52 am »
Come on Lee.... spill the beans on your first impressions.... some of us are chomping at the bit here...!  :green:
I know it needs to run in, but I'm sure it sounds better than the wallwart straight out the box.... share please.

Cheers,
Mark

Seriously, I didn't even listen to it, I hooked it up and then walked out the door.  My wife has been so sick, and in the hospital the last two weeks, I don't have any time to listen right now.  I'm hopeful I can log some hours this weekend.

It is a purty thing, looks killer with the Gold.   :thumb: :thumb:

Peace,

Lee

MttBsh

« Reply #144 on: 4 Mar 2011, 04:47 pm »
Lee - couldn't you give it a quick listen in between visits to the hospital? I mean come on man!

Just kidding - I'm not even associated with this thread - just peripherally interested in the Antelope, but allow me to say that even these rabid audiophiles, when pressed, would probably grudgingly admit that there are more important things in life than audio gear.  I hope your wife is OK, take good care of her... that's what counts... and although it should only be an afterthought, it's nice to know there are some great sounds waiting when you get home.

Matt

cryoparts

« Reply #145 on: 4 Mar 2011, 04:57 pm »
Thanks!    :thumb:

Maybe today I can sneak over to my office and give a listen.

Peace,

Lee

Lee - couldn't you give it a quick listen in between visits to the hospital? I mean come on man!

Just kidding - I'm not even associated with this thread - just peripherally interested in the Antelope, but allow me to say that even these rabid audiophiles, when pressed, would probably grudgingly admit that there are more important things in life than audio gear.  I hope your wife is OK, take good care of her... that's what counts... and although it should only be an afterthought, it's nice to know there are some great sounds waiting when you get home.

Matt

Philistine

« Reply #146 on: 10 Mar 2011, 01:35 pm »
Any power supply updates?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #147 on: 10 Mar 2011, 02:29 pm »
No one has theirs yet except Lee.  The Hynes is about 2 weeks away, and the Pardo is lost at sea somewhere (could take a month according to Pardo)!   :o

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #148 on: 10 Mar 2011, 02:35 pm »
Actually, I do. I've got the Black Lightning 18V DC from Vinnie. But the Gold/Voltikus isn't quite here yet. DHL tracking # was issued today however so it's getting close. Igor answered all my questions on the Plus/Gold differences and page 2 of our preview just went live  :icon_twisted:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #149 on: 10 Mar 2011, 03:18 pm »
Srajan,
I look forward to your comparisons of the three (wallwart too) ps's, and between Gold and Plus.   :thumb:

Any interest in the M2Tech Young DAC?  So far my loaner is wonderful.....when stable.   :(

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #150 on: 10 Mar 2011, 03:48 pm »
It's less a matter of interest and more of hours in a week. So many toys, so little time  :scratch:

My schedule is crammed and plenty more things are inbound than are listed in the previews. So I'm taking rain checks all around until things thin out a bit.

owenmd

« Reply #151 on: 10 Mar 2011, 04:34 pm »
Actually, I do. I've got the Black Lightning 18V DC from Vinnie.

So.... Please, have you tried the Black Lightning with a Zodiac+ yet.... or did you primarily get it to compare to the Voltikus when your Gold combo turns up...?  We are all eager to hear if a new PSU fleshes out any perceived issues of weight etc, and any other improvements over the wallwart.

Interestingly, my Zodiac+ seems to continue to change and mature.  I just played some material last night that was last played at about 300hrs.... I'm now probably around 500+?  There is definitely more density with less emphasis on the highs.... probably more natural sounding.  One thing I love about the Zodiac is that no matter what the quality of recording is.... its still very enjoyable to listen to.... you only notice the music.

Igor answered all my questions on the Plus/Gold differences and page 2 of our preview just went live  :icon_twisted:

Do you have a link we can have to this new preview Srajan...?

My Voltikus turns up tomorrow.

Cheers,
Mark

roscoeiii

« Reply #152 on: 10 Mar 2011, 04:47 pm »
Link to preview:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/antelope2/1.html

And link to Black Lightning preview:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine13/1.html

Preview also seems to indicate that the Zodiac+ hasn't yet been sent back for comparison...

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #153 on: 10 Mar 2011, 04:53 pm »
So.... Please, have you tried the Black Lightning with a Zodiac+ yet.... or did you primarily get it to compare to the Voltikus when your Gold combo turns up...?  We are all eager to hear if a new PSU fleshes out any perceived issues of weight etc, and any other improvements over the wallwart.

Interestingly, my Zodiac+ seems to continue to change and mature.  I just played some material last night that was last played at about 300hrs.... I'm now probably around 500+?  There is definitely more density with less emphasis on the highs.... probably more natural sounding.  One thing I love about the Zodiac is that no matter what the quality of recording is.... its still very enjoyable to listen to.... you only notice the music.

Do you have a link we can have to this new preview Srajan...?

My Voltikus turns up tomorrow.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,
Srajan has the Red Wine and that's it.  The Gold + Volticus is on its way, and he gave back the Plus some time ago.  Although Igor has offered to send it back Srajan has only implied he is gonna do the Plus vs Gold thing.

Although David (rydenfan) obtained a broken-in Plus with 500+ hours he continues to notice the same positive changes as you do...so be prepared for more I guess.  :)

cryoparts

« Reply #154 on: 11 Mar 2011, 02:07 am »
Yeah, the Zodiacs take FOREVER to break in.  The + is quite lightweight until 500+ hours. 

The Voltikus makes a very nice difference, well worth the upcharge, at least to me.  Looks killer sitting next to the Gold too.  I'll try to take a pic, if I get the time.

Peace,

Lee

Philistine

« Reply #155 on: 12 Mar 2011, 04:27 pm »
Yeah, the Zodiacs take FOREVER to break in.  The + is quite lightweight until 500+ hours. 

The Voltikus makes a very nice difference, well worth the upcharge, at least to me.  Looks killer sitting next to the Gold too.  I'll try to take a pic, if I get the time.

Peace,

Lee

Thanks for the update Lee.
Understand you're busy and have other more important priorities - if you have a few minutes to spare it would be interesting if you could articulate the value of the upcharge for the Volticus in terms of sonic performance.

KrK

« Reply #156 on: 12 Mar 2011, 05:12 pm »
Better dynamics, fuller sound. Also a bit wider and deeper... 8)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #157 on: 12 Mar 2011, 05:15 pm »
Kees, thanks.  Any change in noise floor?

cryoparts

« Reply #158 on: 12 Mar 2011, 05:48 pm »

Yes.

Also, noise floor is reduced.  Bass is improved (depth and slam).  Drives headphones better (the headphone amp is not half bad/pretty good in this DAC).  Inner detail retrieval is improved, most likely as a result of the noise floor being lowered.

And, it looks cool!   :lol:

Peace,

Lee

KrK

« Reply #159 on: 12 Mar 2011, 06:41 pm »
Also, noise floor is reduced.  Bass is improved (depth and slam).  Drives headphones better (the headphone amp is not half bad/pretty good in this DAC).  Inner detail retrieval is improved, most likely as a result of the noise floor being lowered.

And, it looks cool!   :lol:

Right! Noise floor significantly better.