Some short and possibly useless CD player reviews

Ernest

« on: 2 Jul 2003, 11:47 pm »
I have to apologize in advance.  There won’t be much detail in the reviews below.  I had intended to properly review these items but never found the time.  I’ll have even less time soon (I recently joined a different team at work that is way behind and working major overtime – I’m going from kernel work to CIFS work; if you know what that means then you understand my pain).  Anyway, here are some totally personal, biased, and possibly useless reviews of the Resolution Audio Opus-21, the Audio Note CD 3.1x, the RAM CD Player (a modded Music Hall CD-25), and a modded Shanling CDT-200 (beautiful CD and 2-channel SACD player).

OK, I evaluated these the way I evaluate everything.  I play tracks from “Jazz at the Pawn Shop” (for the clarinet, sax, and xylophone sounds), “Maxwell’s Urban Hang Suite” (for the bass, sax, kick drum, and vocals) , Norah Jones CD (for her voice), and the Matrix Soundtrack (for insanely fast and deep bass and really grungy guitar sounds).  Basically all the stuff I like.

First, all of the CD players are very good.  They are not your run-of-the-mill low-end high-end audio gear.  They are all good.  But to be honest, I was looking for something that could beat the DAC that a have, an Analog Research Segue.  So that was my criteria.

The first thing I tried was the Shanling CDT-100.  I’ve written about this before so I won’t repeat myself here.

Next up was the Opus-21.  I had a strange experience with it.  When I first hooked it up a terrible noise came out of my speakers.  This was on a Saturday.  I sent an email to Resolution Audio, and minutes later they called me!  We couldn’t find anything obviously wrong, and I had to run to dinner, so I just shut everything down and left the system off while I ate.  When I came back I turned everything on and the scary noise was gone.  I have no idea what was going on.  Nothing like that had ever happened before with my system and has never happened since.

I let the system burn in for about 2 weeks and then started to listen to it.  It sounded quite good but had some odd things about it.  The sound was very open and extremely clean.  But it did not sound natural.  It was very pleasing in every way except that it was too clean.  It’s like how in the real world there are germs and people get sick, but in an ideal world that would not happen.  The Opus is a CD player for that ideal world, but in my world I want the music to sound like the world I live in.  I want it to be real.  It’s a great player but just not my cup of tea.  Oh, the player has a split design with the transport in one box and the DAC in the other.  For a $3000 player it was amazingly cheap looking.  But it had absolutely the best shipping box I have ever seen.  It was basically a small crate that was lined with some kind of foam padding.  It was very easy to unpack (and very easy to repack when I sent it back).

Next was the Audio Note CD 3.1x.  I bought this used from a guy on Audiogon and got a very good price.  I really expected this to be the player I would stick with based on things I had heard about it.  When I first hooked it up I was disappointed.  The sound was quite warm.  I like a bit of warmth, but this was too much.  In every other way it sounded great.  Played through the VMPS RM 1’s that I had, the warmth disappeared and the sound was very good, but only to the extent that the RM 1’s could deliver.  I wanted a CD player that would work with my Tetras.  The sound of this player is very lively, open, with lots of detail.  It was fun and enjoyable to listen to, but the warmth bothered me.  Again, not my cup of tea.

I decided next to try the RAM CD player, which is a Music Hall CD-25 modded by Dan Wright and sold by Response Audio.  This was the best player that I had tried to this point.  It is amazingly well made given its price point.  I like its build, its display, its controls, and its remote better than any of the other players.  After break-in I did a ton of listening and found the player to have a very quiet background, revealing lots of little details in music, and very natural tonal balance (not overly clean like the Opus-21 and not overly warm like the CD 3.1x).  The bass was tight, fast, and tuneful.  The presentation was a bit laid back.  But it wasn’t quite what I was looking for.  I really like this CD player and really wanted to be satisfied with it, but I just wasn’t.  I still have it though and can’t make up my mind what to do with it.  I am quite attached to it!

At this point I decided to shoot for the moon.  I ordered a modded Shanling CD-T200 from underwoodwally on Audiogon (Walter Lieberman).  We spoke on the phone a few times and I really liked what I heard about the player.  After a brief wait I had the player.  Like its little brother, this player is BEAUTIFUL.  Very, very well made.  Makes the other players look cheap (well, not so much for the RAM  CD Player).  It also plays SACD (two channel only).  After 200 hours of break-in I put it through its paces, and … was quite unhappy.  The player was excellent but the tonal balance was off.  Everything sounded kind of dull.  I found myself still listening to my DAC, but with a beautiful transport!  But as much as I like my DAC, I wanted something better.  I was looking for something through this whole saga that I couldn’t describe, but I knew that I was NOT hearing it!  A couple more weeks passed and I entertained thoughts of selling the Shanling and using the RAM CD Player as a transport (and possibly upgrading it with further mods).  Then I decided to listen again to the Shanling, and OH MY GOD!  I have NEVER, EVER heard such good sound!  It must have needed more time to break-in!  The sound is glorious!  Whatever it is I was looking for, it is here in abundance!  Thank God!!  I was going crazy trying to find whatever it was I was looking for.

I got some of Wayne’s Inline Bybee Purifier thingies and a GW Labs jitter reducer, which I had ordered before the change in the Shanling.  I was going to see if I could get my DAC to step up to the sound I wanted.  So I did a lot of testing of those things with my DAC and also tried out the Purifiers with the Shanling.  The jitter reducer and the Bybees made a very noticeable improvement in the sound of my DAC, but it still fell considerably short of the Shanling.  Add the Purifiers to the Shanling plus the clock upgrade I will be getting soon, and I have to say I have found my CD player!

I guess that is the end of my story.  I’m sorry I don’t have more audiophile jargon in here.  I’ve reached a point where I just don’t have the patience to analyze endlessly.  I just listen for the things I care about.  I don’t care much about soundstage and imaging.  What I care absolutely most about is tonal balance.  If it’s not highly realistic then I don’t like it.

As usual, this is all just my opinion and may not at all match your impressions of the same equipment under identical conditions.

:D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2003, 03:34 am »
Nice reviews Ernest ! Right to the Point  :!:

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2003, 02:17 pm »
Great review man. . Thanks!  I have a friend who has a couple of those Shanling 200's for sale, but they are sealed in the box, so we haven't listened to them. . .

Anyhow, I have a suggestion that may be unwelcome, but I'm going to make it anyway. . .   :lol:

It was fun and enjoyable to listen to, but the warmth bothered me. Again, not my cup of tea.

If you still have the AN, hook it up again, and listen to it for a week or two without listening to anything else digital.  Listen to some vinyl with it or something.  Then after 2 weeks, hook in the player of your choice, and you will find out what digital noise is.  

That warmth that you are hearing is actually the digital noise missing from the equation.  You will also not find any of that golden silence between notes that you had with the AN, once you swap players.  

Then, if you still don't like it, go out and hear some live music. . .   :wink:

B

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2003, 02:49 pm »
Ernest,

Thanks for your honest review.  As you know, but others may not, we talked a bit in private about yours versus my experience with the AN CD3.1x.  The odd thing is not that you didn't like it, as to each his own, and I didn't like it at first myself as it doesn't sit up and bite you and I found that I needed to leave it on for quite a few hours before I played anything, even after break in.  The odd thing is that I didn't find it at all warm upon my critical evaluation.

I like the AN digital gear much like Hantra does but I am not going to defend it as I think it doesn't need defending (as no equipment does), you like it or you don't.  I don't currently own any AN gear, I sold the 3.1x, but for other reasons.  I am just wondering if the 3.1x reverses polarity, and if it does, did you account for this?  I believe the preamp that I used in my evaluation reversed polarity too, so then netted eachother out?  Not positive, but I have heard reversed polarity and it can screw things up or be mistaken as warmth.  But then again, my speakers are RM40's which like with your RM1 are ribbon monitors which you found this to be absent.  Weird.  

One more thought.  What was the input impedance of the preamp you were using?  AN digital gear has a really high output impedance and doesn't work with all preamps well.  I have heard this affect before and it was very noticeably bad.

Hantra

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2003, 02:53 pm »
Hey Josh. . .How in the world did you go from the AN to the 777?  Are you thinking of adding a DAC?

BTW, I'm not defending anything.  I just think if he still has the AN, he ought to do himself a favor, and try to evaluate it the way that I mentioned.  Non-oversampling is not something you can switch to, and evaluate fairly. . .

B

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2003, 02:57 pm »
My intent was to get the DAC, I had picked up the AN3.1x on a great deal for evaluation and then passed it on.   I can get a good deal on the 3.1Balanced dac which a buddy of mine says is all the world of difference from the 3.1sig. He evens likes the 2.1balanced better than the 3.1sig. I just haven't gotten around to it because of other things going on now.

Hantra

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2003, 03:36 pm »
J::

The 3.1x balanced is an amazing DAC.  I have heard it back to back with the Zander, and there is no comparison.  It has a bit more depth, and bass than my DAC.  Plus it's real pretty!  heh. . .

B

Ernest

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2003, 05:41 pm »
Hantra, I no longer have the 3.1x so I can't try what you suggested.  I did spent a lot of time just listening to the 3.1x but I didn't have a turntable to try.  So after getting accustomed to the sound of the 3.1x, I only had my DAC to compare it to.  My DAC is a non-upsampling DAC.

JoshK, what do you mean about reversing the polarity?  I've reversed polarity before with my speakers but I didn't know that applied to CD players.  Maybe I am completely misunderstanding the term...

I want add a few points to my review.  First, the Music Hall CD-25 has a great remote.  It's metal and fits nicely in my hand.  Actually, it is the same remote that comes with the Shanling CD-T100.

The remote for the Shandling CD-T200 is very big and heavy.  It's also metal.  It is too big for my hand and isn't balanced right, but I have small hands so that may not be an issue for most people.

Disks had a tendency to slide around in the CD-T100, but the 200 has a small, magnetized, something (don't know what to call it) that sits on top of the middle of the disk and holds it snugly in place.

The T200 has a very high quality digital volume control built in that is always enabled.  Since my preamp has a stepped type volume control, I can use the volume control in the T200 to fine tune the volume.

Because of the built in volume control, the T200 can be used without a preamp.  I tried this but the result wasn't as good as when using my preamp.  The sound seemed kind of thin.

nathanm

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2003, 04:29 pm »
Disks had a tendency to slide around in the CD-T100, but the 200 has a small, magnetized, something (don't know what to call it) that sits on top of the middle of the disk and holds it snugly in place.

A magnetized something!? Doh! I'm jealous!  I took some rubber cement and dabbed some on the spindle of my T100 and this cured the CD slipping issue.  It's a dicey thing cause you can't put anything too thick on there or the disc won't read.  A paper-thin Sorbothane washer would probably be the cat's ass but I am not sure if the stuff comes in ultra thin sheets.