Are most people using the spikes with their speakers?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #20 on: 1 Dec 2005, 04:45 pm »
Thanks for the link on the book.

Since I have no plans on building speakers, I don't think I will pay $40 for it, but I would be very interested to hear any tidbits or important facts that you find.

I wasn't disputing the claim that location matters, rather just pointing out at a very high level that it was more than that.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #21 on: 1 Dec 2005, 05:09 pm »
I agree with you that the response of this speaker (or any speaker) is much more than the location of the drivers.  

As an aside, I don't plan on building a speaker (though I may build a power suppy and/or amplifier), but I wanted more information as to speaker design (part of my engineering mind -- I always want to find out how things work).  That book is very detailed but incredibly dense and really not for beginners.   For instance, the very first chapter is a chapter on "how speakers work".  Is there a description of how there are typically multiple drivers in a single cabinet and how a crossover is used to direct certain frequency ranges to certain drivers?  No.  Instead, there is an indepth discussion of how a driver itself works, including a ton of diagrams, curves, etc., for the various parameters of a driver and how a driver might be selected.   One tidbit I've gained is that stuffing affects the Q and f3 of a speaker.   That's both for amount (i.e., volume) and type of stuffing.  

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack a thread about Joe's speakers, since he has been waiting for these a long time and is now happy -- and should be, at least judging by the photos.

chirpie

« Reply #22 on: 1 Dec 2005, 07:03 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Anyway, I don't mean to hijack a thread about Joe's speakers, since he has been waiting for these a long time and is now happy -- and should be, at least judging by the photos.

And by his really short responses...

Me thinks he's finally out there re-listening to his entire music collection all over again. ^_^