Corona Virus update (See latest update).

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Corona Virus update (See latest update).
« Reply #80 on: 21 Nov 2020, 05:39 am »
I'm mostly waiting on the new batch of NQ drivers, so i can go ahead & order what I need from Danny, so i can then order some of my own crossover upgrades, namely Erse foil inductors & Path Audio resistors.

But I still need to decide on using either all copper caps, or just Sonicaps with copper bypass caps.. :scratch:
Tho as big as some of those copper caps are, I may just go with Sonicaps to save some airspace..

If you want to put the crossover inside, go with Sonicaps and bypass caps. The copper caps are huge. If an external crossover is OK, then the copper caps will work.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #81 on: 21 Nov 2020, 01:26 pm »
If you want to put the crossover inside, go with Sonicaps and bypass caps. The copper caps are huge. If an external crossover is OK, then the copper caps will work.

Yeah thats kinda where I was leaning, cuz I don't really have the space for external crossovers.

Early B.

« Reply #82 on: 21 Nov 2020, 03:06 pm »
Yeah thats kinda where I was leaning, cuz I don't really have the space for external crossovers.

Sure you do. You're resourceful -- build external crossovers. Do you want the best sound or not? If so, don't entertain a lesser option.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #83 on: 21 Nov 2020, 04:16 pm »
Sure you do. You're resourceful -- build external crossovers. Do you want the best sound or not? If so, don't entertain a lesser option.

I mean sure, but I have a few reasons against it.. Desk space for one,  since that's going to be their primary position, and I run a 3 monitor setup. Including one that takes up just around half of a desk by itself, and another one behind.

Most any other option, like a separate box will add height, and they're already quite tall..
Then there's also the cost issue.. they aren't cheap.. at most I'd realistically go with all copper caps on the tweeter circuit, and the Sonicaps for the woofer circuit, to save on the airspace.

If I were building a pair of the Otica MTMs or any of Danny's other NX/Serenity kits, I'd be far more inclined to go all the way with them.

But I just wanted a desk speaker that I could grow into as I eventually upgrade my front-end beyond my Sprout100, which as it stands with my XLS & Rythmik sub, is already leagues better than any set up I've ever heard.. (outside of Danny's NX-Tremes, of course.) :P

I doubt that no matter what I end up doing, I will still be more than happy with their performance for a long time to come.  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #84 on: 21 Nov 2020, 04:57 pm »
Out of curiosity, how many of you are waiting for the studio monitors? It sounds like Danny keeps receiving orders for kits and some of us may be late in the game that we may need to wait after the first batch in December to get our kits :/

I have not been taking "orders" as in I have not been accepting payments for anything.

I have been taking order commitments (send me all of your contact information and what you are waiting), printing them off, and adding them to the pile on a clip board.

When drivers are close to being here I will send out email updates and keep everyone up to date on availability.

When all is here then I will take the orders and fill them. 

NeilBlanchard

« Reply #85 on: 23 Nov 2020, 04:05 pm »
But I still need to decide on using either all copper caps, or just Sonicaps with copper bypass caps.. :scratch:
Tho as big as some of those copper caps are, I may just go with Sonicaps to save some airspace..

What brand are these copper caps - are they the Audyn True Copper Cap, or something else?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #86 on: 25 Nov 2020, 10:30 pm »
What brand are these copper caps - are they the Audyn True Copper Cap, or something else?

They are the Miflex copper caps that Danny offers as an optional upgrade over the standard sonicap bypass caps.

NeilBlanchard

« Reply #87 on: 26 Nov 2020, 01:50 pm »
Okay, thanks.
Question: I have a 22uF cap on my Linaeum TLS tweeter - what is a good bypass cap value, do you think?

Danny Richie

« Reply #88 on: 27 Nov 2020, 03:14 am »
Okay, thanks.
Question: I have a 22uF cap on my Linaeum TLS tweeter - what is a good bypass cap value, do you think?

We typically go with a .1uF value for most applications.

NeilBlanchard

« Reply #89 on: 27 Nov 2020, 03:34 am »
Thanks, that's what I thought. I am learning about this, and I see 0.1uF on many bypass caps, but on some smaller value "main" caps, the bypass is lower than that.