Doors leaking sound

Butterworth

Doors leaking sound
« on: 23 May 2019, 04:31 pm »
It seems like doors and an overlooked culprit for unwanted sound to get in/out. I have pretty lightweight ones that rattle at the slightest draft and leak sound like no one's business.

I've seen sound blocking polyurethane flaps you can hang over them which are great if you have a meat locker themed studio. But if you don't, does anyone have good tricks or recommendations?

JakeJ

Re: Doors leaking sound
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2019, 09:28 pm »
Well this is probably not what you want but change the lightweight doors out for solid core ones and apply a winter seal on the door frame(s) to eliminate the leakage?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2019, 10:16 pm »
Knock out the existing frame and door and replace with an insulated exterior pre-hung door. Then also hang absorbing panels on them. Center of picture at 45 degrees.

Or add a second door with seals as Jake suggests. It can be a sheet of plywood with a piano hinge and modified with those seals for next to nothin in cost. See hard left in photo.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2019, 11:08 pm »
This site also has some products - https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/

Butterworth

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2019, 02:47 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. BRM, I like how the door on the far left blends right in with the walls.

Replacing the door with a heavier duty one wouldn't be entirely outside of my scope but would avoid it if I could. I do like the idea of insulated exterior prehung doors. Will have to look into those.

Soundproofing doorsweeps are suggested here:
https://www.cdfdistributors.com/create-quality-acoustics-sound-control-doors/

There's no carpet underneath one side of the door, so doorsweep/something to fill the gap + hang absorbing panels + sealing via tmsoundproofing may suit my purposes. Never would have thought about creating a second door with plywood and piano hinges - genius!

youngho

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2019, 04:56 pm »
Lightweight door probably not worth significant investment, better to replace.

Would strongly consider drop seals (aka automatic door bottoms) that you can mortise or semi-mortise, also high quality gasket around periphery. Zero Seal makes a very good product, but there are other options. You can add an acoustic threshold for additional benefit.

youngho

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2019, 05:07 pm »
Maybe Herbie's Audio Lab makes a door stop (for the vibration problems)? :D

Mike-48

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2019, 04:07 pm »
NOTE: Links now edited so they work. Auto-wrap killed them.

What stops sound is mass. A hollow-core door will never do it. You can try halfway measures, or you can do it right the first time.

What I'd recommend is a wooden solid-core door, prehung with a gasketed frame. I would have the installer add the following:

https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/product_information/adjustable-door-jamb-stop

https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/product_information/automatic-door-bottom

That may sound over the top, but it's what I did, and it works.  It's a way to improve the S/N ratio of your system by 6 dB or more, depending on the rest of the construction and how much noise is on the other side of the door.

Have fun!

« Last Edit: 26 May 2019, 01:36 am by Mike in NC »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2019, 09:30 am »
I use an exterior insulated fiberglass pre-hung door (comes with weather seal).  It has a six panel look with wood grain and can be painted/stained.  Only down side is the threshold, but cheaper than nice solid core interior pre-hung doors.  For 15 years it's been quite effective.