KWA 100SE sound signature

benma

KWA 100SE sound signature
« on: 15 Apr 2019, 08:25 pm »
Hi,
I am considering about buying a KWA100SE amp. I've read a lot about it, but I have no opportunity to audition it.

My current setup:
- Electrocopmaniet eci5mk2 integrated amp,
- Resolution Audio Cantata Music Center (dac/cdp/preamp),
- Dynaudio Contour 30 speakers

I am very happy with bass presentation on my system, but I would like to have more resolution (it is a bit too warm now). I would like to hear more details in music, but I don't like too clinical sound. I like musicality with good resolution, strong and deep bass, dynamics and precise soundstage.

My preferred genres: dub, acid jazz, reggae, Indian classical, Middle Eastern, hip hop, R&B, electronica, rock, blues, classical music.

I would like to replace my current amp with kwa100se. My question: Is KWA100SE the right solution for my wishes?

Thanks in advance,
B.

mav52

Re: KWA 100SE sound signature
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2019, 08:48 pm »
Good question, I'd like to know that answer as well.  I've read and heard from some others that the amp will provide "great transparency and clarity"

jriggy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2019, 09:06 pm »
The 150 SE would be the MW amp with the surperior resolution and detail.

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2019, 09:37 pm »
The KWA 100SE and 150SE are both very neutral amps.  If you don’t need the power that the 150 puts out then the 100 will perform almost as well, if not as well.  I don’t think the 150 is a superior amp.  It think it just has more power for less sensitive speakers.

I was driving Daedalus speakers with the 100.  I spoke to Dan and he didn’t feel that the 150 was necessary given the high sensitivity of the speakers.

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2019, 11:38 pm »
Just to clarify, I didn’t say the 150 SE is the “superior amp”, I said it will have superior resolution and detail. The 100SE is a MOSFETS output design and there are also years of comments here confirming the 150SE as being more detailed over the 100SE.
I’ve owned the 100SE and have heard the 150SE many times. They are indeed both great amplifiers, with a killer dynamic realism. But since the OP specifically asked for resolution and less warmth, it would be the 150 over the 100.

Sailorboy

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2019, 07:46 am »
Hello
Sorry to be late on this but I thought i would chime in given that I have Dynaudio speakers. I own an 100SE, and use it Dynaudio C1s.
I moved from a Plinius integrated to the 100SE and found that it offers more refinement, details, and musicality.
I also auditioned the 150SE, but found that it tipped by Dynaudios into a more clinical sound, probably due to the extra detail with the 105SE.

In making the decision on the 100se I was most concerned about powering the 4ohm, 85db C1s, but there is plenty of power on tap.  Compared to my Plinius which is rated at 300 watts and 40amps peak current, the 100SE offers just as much but in a more smoother way. 

I hope this has help you.
Cheers
i