Lii F-6S

JCarney

Lii F-6S
« on: 11 Sep 2023, 04:07 pm »
I took delivery of a pair Lii F-6S yesterday, and Weiyu Zhang answered my question on open baffle. He told me that the larger the OB baffle, the less baffle loss. I do not know what that means exactly, so I am asking the group to help me out. I do have a set of plans for an enclosure, but for fun, I thought I'd give them a try in OB first. Once a size is decide upon, where do I place the driver? Does it go in the middle of the baffle, or does it need to be located more in a corner? Yeah, I have no idea what I am doing.

Thank You to anyone who takes the time to try and explain it to me,
JCarney

mcgsxr

Re: Lii F-6S
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2023, 04:36 pm »
There are a few considerations for baffle size for sure.  I believe there are freeware modeling apps but I have not used them in a long time.

Consider - baffle width drives bass - wider is better.  Baffle width also affects imaging - smaller is better.  I rounded off the edge of my mdf baffles to help with a 3/4 round over but and router - helps with edge diffraction.  Placement of driver - I’d start with 2/3 up from the floor or so and same for L to R spacing.  You don’t want the driver in the center of the baffle. 

I used mdf to start as the baffle since it’s cheap and readily available.   

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2023, 05:47 pm »
In an OB th eback radiation from the driver cancels the bas sfrom the front at a rate of 6dB/octave below a point related to the size/width of the OB. The bigger the OB the lower the frequency at which that starts happening.

Likely the best technical paper with details is Martin King’s OB article: http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/OB_Theory.html

They is also a big whoop in the FR around th etransition point.

With such a small drive ryou are likely to require a helper woofer for real bass, Martin shows how to integrate that whoop into the XO to create a flattish response.

dave
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2023, 12:02 am by planet10 »

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2023, 11:20 pm »
Thank You mcgsxr and Dave for your descriptions. They both help, and I will read the linked article tonight.

JCarney

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2023, 12:00 am »
Do you will use the Lii Audio W-21 giant woofer?
Fs 23Hz  Qts 0.8  200Wrms  wow...
https://www.lii-audio.com/product/w21/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2023, 12:17 am »
double post

JCarney

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2023, 01:08 am »
I appreciate the idea, but thought just for fun I would give it a try, just so I can see what the mids and highs might sound like. I know the bass foundation helps to fill all that out, but I'm really just playing around with something new to me.

Thanks,
JCarney