M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction

Shakeydeal

Re: M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction
« Reply #380 on: 30 Apr 2020, 02:46 pm »
You shouldn't have any lack of low end response with the X5.

Shakey

aniwolfe

« Reply #381 on: 30 Apr 2020, 02:52 pm »
Can you image having "Camera Eye" or "Natural Science" as background music only?

What I was ultimately saying is, if "I" could not listen to my favorite bands because my system became too resolute. then I would need to fix it. Thank god Rush and Zep aren't terrible. If your ok just listening to Audiophile grade recordings, more power to you. I just don't roll that way.

Certain remasters that have way too much gain and boosted treble are annoying. Like I said you got to have a happy middle ground and pray those bands you love are listenable.

Enjoy your system!

sockpit

« Reply #382 on: 30 Apr 2020, 03:46 pm »
I was also a teen in that era and listen to zep and rush.  The zep reissues sound great especially zep II.  Agree that rush sounds great too esp moving pictures , signals and hemispheres.  When I went from the m3 to x5 I lost some of that low end and I too had to crank it up but then you lose some fidelity.  I wasn’t entirely happy so I’m switching to x5 which I should hopefully have next week.

Jprod, I think this got muddled. Can you clarify the first perhaps mistaken reference to x5?  What's been your path?

Nevermind: I see you went from M3Turbos to M5 and now on to X5.  Will be interested to hear the report on the X5s!
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2020, 05:13 pm by sockpit »

sunnydaze

« Reply #383 on: 30 Apr 2020, 05:22 pm »
I had the same confusion....

He says he lost some low end with the X5....
so he's switching to the X5 to try and remedy it?     :scratch:

I'm guessing he means he will upgrade to the X3.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #384 on: 30 Apr 2020, 05:24 pm »
I think he means he went from the M3 to the M5 Sapphire and now he's going to the X5. If he went from the old M3 to the X5 there is no way he would have LESS bass.

At least that's my interpretation.

Shakey

Jprod

« Reply #385 on: 30 Apr 2020, 07:51 pm »
I think he means he went from the M3 to the M5 Sapphire and now he's going to the X5. If he went from the old M3 to the X5 there is no way he would have LESS bass.

At least that's my interpretation.

Shakey

Yes yes. My apologies for the confusion. I was dealing with another issue the same time I was posting. Went from M3 turbo s to M5.  What I gained on the top end I lost in bass.  I was orinally going to go from m5 to M3 sapphire but I went with Claytons suggestion of the x5. 

Don_S

« Reply #386 on: 30 Apr 2020, 08:09 pm »
A little help please. I was always confused by Clayton using a larger number for the smaller speaker in a series so I guess I confuse easily. :scratch:

Was there an M5 model prior to the M5 Sapphire? I see references to M5 and I am not sure if that was a model or just shorthand for M5 Sapphire.

Thanks for any education.

sockpit

« Reply #387 on: 30 Apr 2020, 08:15 pm »
M5 can only refer to sapphire, so far as I understand past offerings.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #388 on: 5 May 2020, 02:34 pm »
Clayton,

The updates to the website look really good!

lcd54222

« Reply #389 on: 15 May 2020, 11:40 pm »
My M5 Sapphires shipped today and should arrive in the SF Bay Area Sunday afternoon.  Very exciting, but I'm bummed that I'm heading out of town on Monday . . . I'm looking forward to getting some hours on them and hearing what they can do.  Larry

morganc

« Reply #390 on: 16 May 2020, 01:08 am »
My M5 Sapphires shipped today and should arrive in the SF Bay Area Sunday afternoon.  Very exciting, but I'm bummed that I'm heading out of town on Monday . . . I'm looking forward to getting some hours on them and hearing what they can do.  Larry
I'm in Marin with X5's Larry.   Where are you?  You will need a long break in time. Maybe you can do that while you're out of town?

lcd54222

« Reply #391 on: 16 May 2020, 04:13 am »
Hi Morganc,

I'm in Walnut Creek.  Yes from what I've read, I'll need some patience with the break in - it would be good if I could do some of the break-in while out of town, but I don't think my wife would appreciate that. 

How long have you had your X5s?  What was your path to them? 

Larry

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #392 on: 27 Jul 2020, 09:25 pm »
It's encouraging that Clayton is finally getting away from compression drivers. Maybe Spatial's will start sounding more relaxed without that compression driver/horn shout.

Spatials now start at $3500/pair? Seems he is going more upscale.

morganc

« Reply #393 on: 27 Jul 2020, 11:56 pm »
Hi Morganc,

I'm in Walnut Creek.  Yes from what I've read, I'll need some patience with the break in - it would be good if I could do some of the break-in while out of town, but I don't think my wife would appreciate that. 

How long have you had your X5s?  What was your path to them? 

Larry

How has the break in been Larry? 

I picked up the X-5's in March, and am finally getting them dialed in very nicely!

How are yours coming along? 

I have owned the Spatial M3TM's, and before that GR Research Super V's, Zu Definition MkIV's, Zu Druid Mk V's, Tekton Pendragons, Tekton Lores and quite a few more.....

Loving the X-5's  I would love to have a pair of Gr Research OB servos as well as I have a large open room. Other than that, loving them!

Jean-Paul

« Reply #394 on: 28 Jul 2020, 02:52 am »
It's encouraging that Clayton is finally getting away from compression drivers. Maybe Spatial's will start sounding more relaxed without that compression driver/horn shout.

You're right about the compression drivers sounding on the "shouty" side but they also have a "liveness" that I haven't heard duplicated through any other driver type. And they can sound relaxed with naturally-recorded material. So I'm not entirely convinced about the move away from compression drivers: it may be a case of substituting extra "refinement" for the incredible immediacy of the older design. At the moment, I'm moving from speaker (Barefoot mm12) to speaker (Spatial Audio M4 TurboS) to get the benefits of each - refinement and bass extension with one, immediacy and imagery with the other.

I have a few other reservations about the newer designs. First of all, they're a lot more expensive and it appears that you're paying for baffle material and new drivers. Now, even though my M4 TurboS baffle vibrates dramatically, i don't hear any muffling or wooliness in the sound. In fact, I would like a little more warmth and bloom and if baffle resonance contributes to that then I'm all for it. So more expensive and deader baffles may not make a major positive difference to the sound, from my point of view. Next, the new designs are not co-axial so I'm guessing the imagery isn't as good. Third, you seem to be getting less woofer to achieve ostensibly more bass. For instance, The M4 has TWO twelve inch woofers to get what I hear as a gradual roll-of below maybe 120 Hz (at 6dB an octave this makes it only 6dB down at 60 Hz and maybe 10 at the specified 42 Hz).
With, say, the X5, you're getting a SINGLE twelve-inch woofer to do all the bass work up to 90Hz and you're paying three and a half times the price of the M4 TurboS to get this. Now, no doubt this is a simplistic way of looking at things: the new woofer may move a lot more air than the old one; it is active and there's probably an electronic boost to give it extra bass, so I may be comparing apples with oranges. Even so, I'm sceptical that the new designs are superior in every single respect to the older, cheaper designs. But I may be wrong.

Jon L

« Reply #395 on: 28 Jul 2020, 03:49 am »
You're right about the compression drivers sounding on the "shouty" side but they also have a "liveness" that I haven't heard duplicated through any other driver type.

Many people seem to have this misconception about compression drivers/horns being "shouty," but this may be coming from being exposed to cheaply made compression drivers stuck into horns made for loudness over SQ, played at ear-splitting loudness powered by high-power "pro" solid state amps.  Even worse, the wonderfully sensitive (107-110 dB) compression drivers are being tortured to pad down to match 90-92dB sensitivity of woofers, often via simplistic passive crossovers made of cheap parts. 

Take a high quality compression driver mated to horn designed for sound quality, power them directly via high-quality, low watt valve amp, preferably via active crossover to bypass the said passive crossover parts, and play them at sane home volume levels, and there is nothing else like it  :green:

Jean-Paul

« Reply #396 on: 29 Jul 2020, 01:33 am »
Many people seem to have this misconception about compression drivers/horns being "shouty," but this may be coming from being exposed to cheaply made compression drivers stuck into horns made for loudness over SQ, played at ear-splitting loudness powered by high-power "pro" solid state amps.  Even worse, the wonderfully sensitive (107-110 dB) compression drivers are being tortured to pad down to match 90-92dB sensitivity of woofers, often via simplistic passive crossovers made of cheap parts. 

Take a high quality compression driver mated to horn designed for sound quality, power them directly via high-quality, low watt valve amp, preferably via active crossover to bypass the said passive crossover parts, and play them at sane home volume levels, and there is nothing else like it  :green:

Agreed; the ultra-expensive and very highly regarded Meyer X-10 uses a compression driver, as does the JBL M2. And I briefly owned a set of JBL monitors which used a compression driver and that sounded far from shouty. I do find the Turbo S driver can sound very aggressive with some material but I wonder if it's actually showing reality while more conventional tweeters are muting the sound to achieve a "nicer" sound.

ElGatoRon

Re: M35Sapphire - All new M design introduction
« Reply #397 on: 3 Aug 2020, 03:52 am »
Have had my M3 Sapphitrs for a little over 6 weeks...play music daily.   Very happywith my decision

Ron

Grahamps

« Reply #398 on: 4 Aug 2020, 01:20 am »
Hello Ron,

Your room and system and the M3's in there look fantastic! I'm curious why you still have the bookshelf speakers setup? Seeing the Subwoofer, I'm going to guess that you have a separate surround sound system running in the same space?

Peace, Graham