Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit
« Reply #520 on: 28 Aug 2010, 01:50 am »
Hi everyone! My first post. I read the whole thread, bought the parts and put it together. My first build except for a Hafler amp and pre that I put together in the '80s. Thanks for all the pics and terrific information. Here's a couple of pics of mine.

Nice work. Looks like a Context engineering chassis. Is that right?

Anand.

Chris Adams

« Reply #521 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:28 am »
Thanks, guys! I am running a break in disc as we speak. Listened to it cold earlier today and it is smoother and much more of an open window then the clone P1.0 that I had been using, and that piece was no slouch. I'm all solid state. Modified Teradak Chameleon, B1, Bill Thalmann modded Sonographe SA-400, modded Maggie MMGs.

Jon L, I picked those caps after a lot of reading and some experimenting. I happen to have some FT-1s already and some FT-3s on the way. :)

Anand, it is indeed a Context engineering chassis. Nicely made and nice people to work with.

kingnubian

« Reply #522 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:50 am »
I have found that the 4-1k resistors have quite an effect with the B1. Im surprized it isnt mentioned a whole lot, seems to be a bigger issue on the dcb1 thread. Im sure it is somewhat system dependant but good parts in this location should be considered.

I have tried several different resistors so far and awaiting some naked Vishays now.

Takman carbon film- great bass and dynamics, warm and smooth but lack transparency
Prp metal film- smooth and transparent but lacks dynamics
Riken carbon film- great resistor with good transparency, smooth, awesome bass and dynamics. I think i could live with all 4 Rikens but some say use in moderation.
Naked Vishay(TX2575)- report back

I am going to try the Vishays as the input resistor and have the Rikens on the output right now, hoping that will be a good balance with awesome transparency. I will also note these results are based upon 330r.

I'd like to request direct retail links, if possible Canadian links in addition to U.S. links would also be appreciated, to the Riken & Naked Vishay resistors used in your build. I've found the Naked Vishay's but at almost $16 a pop CAD at Parts Connexion, I'm looking for alternate sources.

kingnubian

« Reply #523 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:56 am »
Hi everyone! My first post. I read the whole thread, bought the parts and put it together. My first build except for a Hafler amp and pre that I put together in the '80s. Thanks for all the pics and terrific information. Here's a couple of pics of mine.

Wow!! This is exactly what I am after................100% beautiful build. Please post a link to the case retailer & I really hope they ship to Canada.

mightym

« Reply #524 on: 28 Aug 2010, 04:22 am »
Chris:  Niiice.... :D

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #525 on: 28 Aug 2010, 04:55 am »
I'd like to request direct retail links, if possible Canadian links in addition to U.S. links would also be appreciated, to the Riken & Naked Vishay resistors used in your build. I've found the Naked Vishay's but at almost $16 a pop CAD at Parts Connexion, I'm looking for alternate sources.

Google is your friend.

Context engineering desktop enclosures like the 175/350dt.

Texas Components TX2575. Just call them or e-mail them request: resistorinfo@texascomponents.com. They are usually $9 per resistor

Anand.

Nick77

« Reply #526 on: 28 Aug 2010, 10:47 am »

Im actually waiting on another pair of naked Vishays, the Riken is wonderfully colored but for my system is a tad warm. If your looking to warm things up its a great resistor.

exojam

« Reply #527 on: 28 Aug 2010, 11:29 am »
Chris,

Very nice and clean looking build you have there.

I wish mine was going to be that nice looking, but…

James

Chris Adams

« Reply #528 on: 28 Aug 2010, 11:50 am »
Google is your friend.

Context engineering desktop enclosures like the 175/350dt.

Texas Components TX2575. Just call them or e-mail them request: resistorinfo@texascomponents.com. They are usually $9 per resistor

Anand.

The contact at Context is Lucy and at Texas Components it's Janet Alcebo. I called both and they were very pleasant and easy to deal with. I have some TX2575 in my dac and I'm going to try some in the B1. The difference in the dac was amazing. :o
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2010, 04:53 pm by Chris Adams »

rtate

« Reply #529 on: 28 Aug 2010, 04:20 pm »
Chris, what type of volume pot did you use??
Is that a PEC?
What are you powering your B1 with?
Also where did you source the nichon electrolytics??

Thanks
Great build by the way :thumb:

Chris Adams

« Reply #530 on: 28 Aug 2010, 04:59 pm »
rtate,

Thanks for the compliment!
The pot is from gigawork on ebay 120502791204, 20k stereo 21 step. Inexpensive build quality but great sound, $15 shipped. Got the Gold Tune Nichicons from Parts Connection. Using the PS from Digikey at the moment but I intend to try batteries when it's broken in.

exojam

« Reply #531 on: 28 Aug 2010, 05:03 pm »
Here is my correct pot connected. I believe the wiring is correct but if anyone wants to take a pick that would be great (hopefully the picture is clear enough). Thanks.

James

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #532 on: 28 Aug 2010, 05:16 pm »
James, the pot wiring appears to be right in the picture.  Looks like you're close to being done.  But, what's the deal with those humongous caps?  :wink:

kingnubian

« Reply #533 on: 28 Aug 2010, 05:18 pm »
rtate,

Thanks for the compliment!
The pot is from gigawork on ebay 120502791204, 20k stereo 21 step. Inexpensive build quality but great sound, $15 shipped. Got the Gold Tune Nichicons from Parts Connection. Using the PS from Digikey at the moment but I intend to try batteries when it's broken in.

I got an email from Gigawork stating that their pot is a Linear type. I was after a logarithmic so I'm inclined to pick up one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270617059671&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4926wt_911
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Assemble-Dale-23-Step-Attenuator-Volume-Control-50k-/270311270532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_2154wt_911
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/737959-pot-10k-ohm-2w-dual-log-taper-kka1031s28.html

exojam

« Reply #534 on: 28 Aug 2010, 05:30 pm »
James, the pot wiring appears to be right in the picture.  Looks like you're close to being done.  But, what's the deal with those humongous caps?  :wink:

Roymail,

Thanks for taking the time to look of the wiring. The caps were recommended so I figured I would give them a try and see where it takes me.

Yeah, I am almost there. I used some JB Weld to fix up one RCA hole and the switch hole. The housing will not look nearly as good as some I am seeing but for now it will work. I will have to place this next to my TT so the smaller the better at this time.

The thing I am waiting for most of all is to see how this sounds in my setup. I have never done anything DIY like this so it will be interesting to hear the results.

James
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2010, 03:20 am by exojam »

kingnubian

« Reply #535 on: 28 Aug 2010, 05:33 pm »
Roymail,

Thanks for taking the time to look of the wiring. The caps were recommended so I figured I would give them a try and see where it takes.

Yeah, I am almost there. I used some JB Weld to fix up one RCA hole and the switch hole. The housing will not look nearly as good as some I am seeing but for now it will work. I will have to place this next to my TT so the smaller the better at this time.

The thing I am waiting for most of all is to see how this sounds in my setup. I have never done anything DIY like this so it will be interesting to hear the results.

James

What caps did you use? I was looking at using Sonicaps Gen 1 (1uf & 10uf)

exojam

« Reply #536 on: 28 Aug 2010, 05:58 pm »
Those are the Clarity ESA's.

James

rtate

« Reply #537 on: 28 Aug 2010, 06:05 pm »
Kingnubian , I have the digikey pot for my build but have not completed it yet so I can't coment on the sound....

wushuliu

« Reply #538 on: 28 Aug 2010, 06:05 pm »
I got an email from Gigawork stating that their pot is a Linear type. I was after a logarithmic so I'm inclined to pick up one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270617059671&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4926wt_911
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Assemble-Dale-23-Step-Attenuator-Volume-Control-50k-/270311270532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_2154wt_911
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/737959-pot-10k-ohm-2w-dual-log-taper-kka1031s28.html

I would still go with the Gigawork. Despite being linear, it is smoother and easier to use than the others you have linked and there's a lot of good feedback on it, not just on this forum. I do not care for the switch quality of the Dale. And you don't want to get that PEC stereo pot, they are not reliable for matching. Only use their mono pots.

Jon L

« Reply #539 on: 28 Aug 2010, 06:07 pm »

Huh?  The Gigawork 20K pot I ordered says clearly log type in the ad:
"Up for sale is one (1) piece Brand New 21-stepped attenuator 20K Type A (Log)  STEREO using SMT resistors.  Knurled shaft supplied with a nut and a star washer"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120502791204&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4201wt_907