Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

Russellc

Re: Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit
« Reply #500 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:09 pm »
I just picked up two dcb1 blue boards from the diyaudio group buy. Is anyone in the process of building one of these? Looks to be quite a bit more challenging than the original b1 build.

I just picked up the same boards.   Will be watching.

russellc

Russellc

« Reply #501 on: 20 Aug 2010, 01:13 pm »
You can also find panel/chassis mountable jacks at Radio Shack. Much easier to deal with.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102486

I used that jack, not too bad of quality, cant say the same for the plug they have to go with it, it is a piece of poo.

Russellc

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #502 on: 20 Aug 2010, 06:39 pm »
Digi-key has this one, CP-5-ND.

exojam

« Reply #503 on: 22 Aug 2010, 02:56 pm »
This one will fit flush and was recommended to me by another AC member.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=US&WT.z_homepage_link=hp_go_button&KeyWords=CP-011A-ND&x=19&y=21

Can anyone tell me if I only need to use one of the ground tabs from this connector? If you look at the picture in the link it has three tabs. I can see which one is for power but I am not sure if I can use either of two other ones for the ground connection. Thanks.

James

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #504 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:09 pm »
Can anyone tell me if I only need to use one of the ground tabs from this connector? If you look at the picture in the link it has three tabs. I can see which one is for power but I am not sure if I can use either of two other ones for the ground connection. Thanks.
James

You only need to use one ground and one center.  The wire you are attaching only has 2 wires and one is a ground wire.  You can't really hurt anything since the power supply is such low voltage, 18v or 24v.

exojam

« Reply #505 on: 22 Aug 2010, 11:54 pm »
Very good. I was just not sure why this had three tabs for only two wires.

Thanks,
James

wushuliu

« Reply #506 on: 23 Aug 2010, 02:27 am »
FYI: DCB1 Build thread has started.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #507 on: 23 Aug 2010, 03:59 am »
Very good. I was just not sure why this had three tabs for only two wires.

Thanks,
James
Usually the third wire is a switch terminal when the plug is inserted into the jack.   

wushuliu

« Reply #508 on: 26 Aug 2010, 09:14 pm »
I've put my first B1 and DCB1 builds for sale. Just the boards, no enclosures. Need to clear out my projects.

exojam

« Reply #509 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:10 pm »
Well to say the least I am pretty bummed right now, my stereo pot came into today so I figured I would finally finish this up and be able to listen to it this week. BUT, the jack that I had ordered will not accept the wall wart plug :evil:. I ordered that jack since the original one I ordered was not in stock.

I went ahead and soldered in the new pot and new resistors I got for R102-202 and now just have to wait for the other jack to get in stock and shipped.

James

Jon L

« Reply #510 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:49 pm »
Well to say the least I am pretty bummed right now, my stereo pot came into today so I figured I would finally finish this up and be able to listen to it this week. BUT, the jack that I had ordered will not accept the wall wart plug :evil:. I ordered that jack since the original one I ordered was not in stock.

I went ahead and soldered in the new pot and new resistors I got for R102-202 and now just have to wait for the other jack to get in stock and shipped.

James

I'm in a similar spot myself for something else, but that's what the alligator clips are for  :green:

wushuliu

« Reply #511 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:51 pm »

James

What's the size of your wall-wart? have you checked radio shack? (assuming youre in the states).

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #512 on: 27 Aug 2010, 12:14 am »
James

2.1mm I.D. x 5.5mm O.D. should be correct since that what it has for both the Digi-key wall PS plug (T987-P5P-ND) and the DC jack (CP-5-ND).

As Wushuliu asked, what part numbers did you order?  And, have you checked at Radio Shack for a DC jack that will fit your wall plug?

exojam

« Reply #513 on: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56 am »
Guys,

Thanks for the replies. After I found my magnifying glass I found the issue. Digikey sent me the wrong wall wart (I had ordered the one wushuliu had listed on the first page). I am using the jack you pointed me to roymail.

The box was marked with the correct part number but in super small writing I found the unit itself had a different part number. I called and spoke with Digikey and they are sending me another one out. Their customer support was great to deal with. They even offered to send the new one out over night but everyone makes mistakes so I just had them ship regular mail.

I am also going to try and get a picture or two up and see if someone can lok at the wiring from the pot to the board to see if I made any mistakes. I believe it is correct but another set of eyes never hurts.

James

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #514 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:17 am »
I am also going to try and get a picture or two up and see if someone can lok at the wiring from the pot to the board to see if I made any mistakes. I believe it is correct but another set of eyes never hurts.
James

I assume you're referring to the 3 wires (in-out-gnd) that connect from the volume pot to the board for each channel.  It should be easy to tell whether it's wired correctly.

CW = input
W = wiper
CCW = ground

Sure we'll be glad to look at some pics for you.  Hope you get things worked out soon.  You should be nearly done.  We'll be happy to hear your impressions of the B1.

exojam

« Reply #515 on: 27 Aug 2010, 11:49 am »
Roymail,

Thanks for the response. I did use a post earlier in the thread as a guide for the pot hook up.  I just figured with my luck it will be better to see if anyone sees an issue with it.

I am really ready to get this preamp finished and see how it sounds. I thought that would have been tonight but now I am looking at next week sometime.

James

Chris Adams

« Reply #516 on: 28 Aug 2010, 12:01 am »
Hi everyone! My first post. I read the whole thread, bought the parts and put it together. My first build except for a Hafler amp and pre that I put together in the '80s. Thanks for all the pics and terrific information. Here's a couple of pics of mine.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #517 on: 28 Aug 2010, 12:19 am »
Outstanding Chris. Really well done! That last pic looks like a work of art. Now tell us how it sounds.

wushuliu

« Reply #518 on: 28 Aug 2010, 12:31 am »
Hi everyone! My first post. I read the whole thread, bought the parts and put it together. My first build except for a Hafler amp and pre that I put together in the '80s. Thanks for all the pics and terrific information. Here's a couple of pics of mine.

Wow. Nice.

Jon L

« Reply #519 on: 28 Aug 2010, 01:36 am »

Nice work.  I don't know how you came about choosing Audiocap Theta's, but Great choice.  However, Audiocap Theta is one of the caps that REALLY improve when bypassed with some Russian teflon caps.  I could try a Russian FT-1 on the 1 uF cap and larger FT-2 or 3 on the 10 uF cap. 

On the Audiocap, the teflon bypass truly improves the "air" and extend high treble while making low-treble/upper-mid much smoother and organic IME.