Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

wushuliu

Re: Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit
« Reply #360 on: 25 Jun 2010, 03:42 pm »
Would these PNP 1K resistors be a good choice?  :scratch:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=PNP100JR-52-1R-ND

Never heard of PNP. Also It appears the quantity available is zero. If ordering resistors from digikey then the Dale resistors linked in the BOM are about as good as you can get...

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #361 on: 25 Jun 2010, 03:53 pm »
Thanks, sorry I was confused.  I looked up the wrong ones, should have been PRP.  I there anywhere that sells them that uses parcel post and doesn't have a minimum order?

Which series of PRP?  The have several.  Thanks!

wushuliu

« Reply #362 on: 26 Jun 2010, 01:55 am »
Thanks, sorry I was confused.  I looked up the wrong ones, should have been PRP.  I there anywhere that sells them that uses parcel post and doesn't have a minimum order?

Which series of PRP?  The have several.  Thanks!

No, all the PRP sellers have some sort of catch which is why I grabbed an extra dozen on my last buy. So $7 and I'll ship the 4 1ks you need  :wink:. 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt are fine. I have the 1/2 watt.

Nick77

« Reply #363 on: 26 Jun 2010, 03:24 pm »
Excellent!  :rock: Now where are the pics !  :D

The first 25 hrs were a little rough and congested but now its sounding much better. I am trying out a couple of Russian k40y pio's and they are looking like a great pick for bypass.  :eyebrows:

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #364 on: 26 Jun 2010, 07:47 pm »
Keep us posted.  What your impression of the B1/SDA-254 combo?

wushuliu

« Reply #365 on: 26 Jun 2010, 07:56 pm »
Its ALIVE! Wushuliu you hatched another one, many thanks for your support.  :thumb: :thumb:

Right out of the box it sounds really good, already getting very good bass and clean sound. Cant wait to put a few hours on it.  :eyebrows:

Oh dude sorry, I forgot your pics were posted right above when I asked for pics. Duh. Too many forums, too many projects, too many beers. :jester:

sondale

« Reply #366 on: 26 Jun 2010, 08:31 pm »
Hi folks - long time no post. Good to see that more and more people are building B1s and enjoying them.

Earplay - how are you getting on?

Wushuliu - The Hypnotize is a nice project - I built one of the prototypes and I should use it in my system but the LSA/B1 keeps playing music. So I will have to (finally) test my LSA point-to-point build and incorporate that into the Hypnotize.

Apart from the track lifting on the prototypes (not a problem with the GB boards as the tracks were made much thicker) the only fiddly bit was setting up the LED strings.

I agree with you about the DCB1 sound - it is like the B1 but more open and detailed - but the B1 is not in any way shamed.

Alan

bigaudioscotto

« Reply #367 on: 27 Jun 2010, 03:17 pm »
  This is actually another complete b1 with the sonicaps. The other one has the dayton 1% caps and for the $ in this application I think the daytons would be hard to beat. Try bypassing the dayton 1% with the dayton film/foil caps if you want to experiment later.
Hey Avionic
 Are you saying you are liking the sound of the Daytons over Sonicaps.

Regards,
   Scott

avionic

« Reply #368 on: 27 Jun 2010, 03:31 pm »
Hey Avionic
 Are you saying you are liking the sound of the Daytons over Sonicaps.

Regards,
   Scott

Not necessarily. What I meant was that the daytons sound damn good and I think for the money spent on daytons you can not beat them $ for $. I am speaking of the dayton 1% bypassed with the film&foil daytons.

daniloreyes

• If it sounds good ... Listen to it!
« Reply #369 on: 28 Jun 2010, 04:02 pm »
This is what I used:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-Project-Box-Enclousure-Case-Electronic-DIY-Big-/250597855778?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a58cbd222

Fits a little snug. He also has them in silver. I will post some pics tomorrow of my b1 mounted in this enclosure.

What pot did you use? and that knob is awesome...
Thanks

avionic

« Reply #370 on: 28 Jun 2010, 06:03 pm »
  Search for this one on ebay  DACT Type 21 Stepped Attenuator 20K FOR PASS B1 DIY  and the knob is from Valab also from ebay.

wushuliu

« Reply #371 on: 2 Jul 2010, 01:23 am »
Just an update on the DC Coupled B1: The sound has settled into a very open, easy going delivery. As sondale mentioned it is more open and transparent than the regular B1. Audibly, audibly so. It is also more engaging - maybe the term is musical? - than my battery run B1, which itself is terrific. I find myself having a hard time analyzing it as my mind wanders and I forget to skip to other demo tracks. Get lost in it pretty easily. Really involving. Not really sure how to describe the improvement except that it's absolutely worth it. I would love a comparison with higher priced gear...

wushuliu

« Reply #372 on: 2 Jul 2010, 01:25 am »
Hi folks - long time no post. Good to see that more and more people are building B1s and enjoying them.

Earplay - how are you getting on?

Wushuliu - The Hypnotize is a nice project - I built one of the prototypes and I should use it in my system but the LSA/B1 keeps playing music. So I will have to (finally) test my LSA point-to-point build and incorporate that into the Hypnotize.

Apart from the track lifting on the prototypes (not a problem with the GB boards as the tracks were made much thicker) the only fiddly bit was setting up the LED strings.

I agree with you about the DCB1 sound - it is like the B1 but more open and detailed - but the B1 is not in any way shamed.

Alan

LSA, LSA, LSA... I'm waiting!

wushuliu

« Reply #373 on: 2 Jul 2010, 01:27 am »
  Search for this one on ebay  DACT Type 21 Stepped Attenuator 20K FOR PASS B1 DIY  and the knob is from Valab also from ebay.

Does that knob come with a set screw?

avionic

« Reply #374 on: 2 Jul 2010, 05:46 am »
Does that knob come with a set screw?

Yes sir

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #375 on: 2 Jul 2010, 11:20 am »
avionic,

Are you still using DacT mono's on your other B1 board?  How do they compare to the ebay stepped attenuator?

Your project looks good, well done.  Bet it sounds great!   :eyebrows:

Nick77

« Reply #376 on: 3 Jul 2010, 07:40 pm »
Just an update on the DC Coupled B1: The sound has settled into a very open, easy going delivery. As sondale mentioned it is more open and transparent than the regular B1. Audibly, audibly so. It is also more engaging - maybe the term is musical? - than my battery run B1, which itself is terrific. I find myself having a hard time analyzing it as my mind wanders and I forget to skip to other demo tracks. Get lost in it pretty easily. Really involving. Not really sure how to describe the improvement except that it's absolutely worth it. I would love a comparison with higher priced gear...

Wushuliu thanks for the update on the dcB1, im sure it has to sound better or it wouldnt exist but this B1 is absoluely blowing me away. It has taken over 150 hrs to finally open up which has been very fustrating but worth the wait. I used carbon resistors in the signal path and i kept wanting to remove 2 if not all cause it sounded so lifeless and muted. Well i heard from several buddies that carbon resistors can take 300 hrs to break in so i decided to stick it out and i am glad i did. What i am hearing now is a VERY smooth warm yet detailed presentation that feels like an expensive tube preamp. I am in love, this little simple design rocks. Thanks again Wush for sharing, i would not have attempted it without your tutorial.   :thumb:  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2010, 09:22 pm by Nick77 »

wushuliu

« Reply #377 on: 3 Jul 2010, 08:19 pm »
Wushuliu thanks for the update on the dcB1, im sure it has to sound better or it wouldnt exist but this B1 is absoluely blowing me away. It has taken over 150 hrs to finally open up which has been very fustrating but worth the wait. I used carbon resistors in the signal path and i kept wanting to remove 2 if not all cause it sounded so lifeless and muted. Well i heard from several buddies that carbon resistors can take 300 hrs to break in so i decided to stick it out and i am glad i did. What i am hearing now is a VERY smooth warm presentation that feels like an expensive tube preamp. I am in love, this little simple design rocks. Thanks again Wush for sharing, i would not have attempted it without your tutorial.   :thumb:  :thumb:

Right on!!! Congrats!!!

:beer: :drums: :rock: :weights: :smoke:

avionic

« Reply #378 on: 4 Jul 2010, 04:05 am »
avionic,

Are you still using DacT mono's on your other B1 board?  How do they compare to the ebay stepped attenuator?

Your project looks good, well done.  Bet it sounds great!   :eyebrows:

Thanks Roy. I went with a stepped pot from valab on the other board and would have used one on this one ,but it's diameter is to large for the way I mounted the pot in this small enclosure.

wushuliu

« Reply #379 on: 7 Jul 2010, 07:45 pm »
I put together an integrated amp: Hot Rodded DC Coupled B1 Mezmerize board with 3 inputs, and my CDA-254.

I am a big believer in reducing connections as much as possible and this seemed the best way to do between the two components. Also GF will hopefully be less irritated with having to turn on this and turn off that. Messy wiring will be cleaned up later. May also get an extension rod for the volume pot.

Well I am just about wrapped up w/ big audio projects for a while. Time to enjoy the fruits of my labors.