Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

daniloreyes

• If it sounds good ... Listen to it!
Re: Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit
« Reply #320 on: 15 Jun 2010, 10:12 pm »
Well I ordered it. along with the lightspeed and a second set of upgraded components.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #321 on: 15 Jun 2010, 11:54 pm »
As far as stock goes, Nelson's pick is fine. I really, really do recommend stepping up a notch with that cap and the resistors. The B1 is very responsive to the components.

OK, I'll stick with your BOM choices.  Thanks!

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #322 on: 15 Jun 2010, 11:56 pm »
Well I ordered it. along with the lightspeed and a second set of upgraded components.

Which Class D amp did you order? Did you get the LS from George or buy the one available on Audiogon?  Either way you should be pleased.

wushuliu

« Reply #323 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:02 am »
OK, I'll stick with your BOM choices.  Thanks!

Just to be clear I doubt the PE Jantzen Cap is better than Nelson's, so if it's between those two pick whichever is most convenient (certainly Nelson's will fit better).

daniloreyes

« Reply #324 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:33 am »
Which Class D amp did you order? Did you get the LS from George or buy the one available on Audiogon?  Either way you should be pleased.
I ordered the CDA-1000 amp. Also ordered the LS full kit from their website. I have a few Cardas and Black Gates parts that need to be used :)

daniloreyes

« Reply #325 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:21 am »
Just to be clear I doubt the PE Jantzen Cap is better than Nelson's, so if it's between those two pick whichever is most convenient (certainly Nelson's will fit better).
In the BOM I think it should specify pot qty and switch qty.

wushuliu

« Reply #326 on: 16 Jun 2010, 02:21 am »
In the BOM I think it should specify pot qty and switch qty.

? I have Mono recommendations and Stereo recommendations. As for switches, not everyone wires their stuff the same way.

daniloreyes

« Reply #327 on: 16 Jun 2010, 03:20 am »
I'm sorry I meant you had quantities for all other parts, and if they decide to use a mono then qty 2, for an ALPs qty 1 etc.

This thread rocks, thanks for all the information you have provided. We, the poor audiophiles really needed these articles.

bigaudioscotto

« Reply #328 on: 18 Jun 2010, 08:17 pm »
 Do any of you guys know if you leave out the LED
 do you need to jumper that circuit.

wushuliu

« Reply #329 on: 18 Jun 2010, 08:45 pm »
Do any of you guys know if you leave out the LED
 do you need to jumper that circuit.

no

bigaudioscotto

« Reply #330 on: 18 Jun 2010, 08:54 pm »

Nick77

« Reply #331 on: 18 Jun 2010, 08:56 pm »

wushuliu

« Reply #334 on: 19 Jun 2010, 12:50 am »

wushuliu

« Reply #335 on: 21 Jun 2010, 03:18 am »
Well here's the next step up: The DC Coupled B1. This is not designed by Nelson Pass, but by folks over at diyaudio. Pass designed the simple B1 circuit to foster and encourage experimentation, so it has his blessing. The difference between this and the standard B1 is the elimination of input and output caps and the inclusion of a much praised shunt regulated power supply. So I can chuck the battery power and go back to good old ac.

Many thanks to Salas, Tea-Bag, and all the other extraordinary minds and helping hands over at diyaudio - the two B1 threads there are the few that actually stay on-topic and don't try my patience.

Be warned: These threads are loooong.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/145201-building-symmetrical-psu-b1-buffer.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/147075-gb-dc-coupled-b1-buffer-shunt-psus.html

The cost to build is slightly cheaper to much cheaper - mostly due to the very cheap pcb ($7) and depending on the quality of caps, etc. you use for the standard B1. On the other hand, there is some tricky component matching involved like the fets and the LEDs and a larger parts count.

These PCBs are no longer available but a larger and more accomodating (and twice as expensive) PCB is planned for the end of July. If interested you'll have to sign up in the DC Coupled B1 Group Buy thread in the Group Buy section of diyaudio linked above.

Too early for serious opinion, but given the lower quality connectors and slap-dash nature of the build it sounds very impressive. The overall signature of the standard B1 remains, transparent and clean - but kicked up a couple notches.

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2010, 06:19 am by wushuliu »

daniloreyes

« Reply #336 on: 22 Jun 2010, 10:19 pm »
wushuliu,
Can you put links for nice cases that fit the B1? That would be added to the BOM also.

wushuliu

« Reply #337 on: 22 Jun 2010, 11:40 pm »
wushuliu,
Can you put links for nice cases that fit the B1? That would be added to the BOM also.

I don't have any. I suppose there's always Par-Metal or Pac-tec. If you know of some nice enclosures
please let us know.

avionic

« Reply #338 on: 23 Jun 2010, 06:56 am »
This is what I used:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-Project-Box-Enclousure-Case-Electronic-DIY-Big-/250597855778?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a58cbd222

Fits a little snug. He also has them in silver. I will post some pics tomorrow of my b1 mounted in this enclosure.

« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2010, 08:56 pm by avionic »

wushuliu

« Reply #339 on: 23 Jun 2010, 07:07 am »
This is what I used:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-Project-Box-Enclousure-Case-Electronic-DIY-Big-/250597855778?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a58cbd222

Fits a little snug. He also has them in silver. I will post some pics tomorrow of my b1 mounted in this enclosure.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Bloody brilliant. I can NEVER find stuff like that on ebay...