Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit
« Reply #280 on: 5 Jun 2010, 03:02 pm »
If someone can explain how to upload photos I'll do my best to throw some up here.
Neil

Glad you learned how to post pics.  Very nice job on the B1... looks great!  Thanks for posting your impressions.

Nick77

« Reply #281 on: 5 Jun 2010, 03:05 pm »
Love the case (linky?). Looks great!  :thumb:

parodielin

« Reply #282 on: 5 Jun 2010, 03:07 pm »
Love the case (linky?). Looks great!  :thumb:

I think it's a hammand chassis.  I used the same one. :)

walkern

« Reply #283 on: 5 Jun 2010, 03:35 pm »
You are quite correct.. that is a Hammond chassis.

I got it via Partsconnexion.  You need to order the chassis and the bottom cover separately.
Here is a link to the chassis I used: http://www.partsconnexion.com/product10259.html

As I noted before, I would not recommend this size to anyone unless you've got long skinny fingers, plenty of patience, and REALLY need something this small.  If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten a taller chassis (3 or 4 inches instead of 2), and maybe 8 inches deep instead of only 6.  Something like this would have certainly been worth the extra $10 to me: http://www.partsconnexion.com/product10262.html

Neil

wushuliu

« Reply #284 on: 5 Jun 2010, 05:11 pm »
Here are some photos of my B1.  The chassis is a "wrap around" style, so the board is mounted to the bottom, all the wiring was done to all the connectors, and then the connectors were inserted into the chassis, and then bottom was secured to the chassis.  The second set of outputs (for my sub) were wired to the first set of outputs, and everything else was wired to the board directly.

Neil

Very cool!

wushuliu

« Reply #285 on: 5 Jun 2010, 05:16 pm »
I'll have a couple extra sets of 1k and 220 ohm PRP resistors for $7 for anyone who wants to upgrade their resistors and/or lower their ouput impedance w/ the 220. This way you don't have to shell out minimum fees and ups shipping, etc. just to get them...  8)

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #286 on: 5 Jun 2010, 08:20 pm »
Although the B1 buffer is ZERO gain, I've read several who commented that it had plenty of drive.  And, the B1 buffer review in Enjoy the Music.com stated the following:

"Lots of kinetic energy.  But more than anything else, rising from below the threshold of conscious perception, a single word began to form: wow! A sensation of extreme clarity and transparency took hold of the soundstage. The sonic presentation was spectacularly open and spacious. It was as if my sonic window received the Windex treatment. Transients unfolded with speed and control. Image outlines were nicely focused. Massed voices were readily resolvable, thus enhancing the spatial impression of large choral works."

That's a lot of performance from a ZERO gain device using inexpensive volume pots and walwart power supply.

Wushuliu and others, can you share some insight on this?  Thanks!  :o

wushuliu

« Reply #287 on: 5 Jun 2010, 08:44 pm »
The review is more or less on the money. The B1 is not a warm and fuzzy buffer/pre. If you're asking how it accomplishes this sonic feat. Heck if I know. Nelson's pdf (article is also on ETM site) is a good start as well as all the armchair discussions on diyaudio. It's all in his design...

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #288 on: 11 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm »
Before I get my feet wet again on a B1 build or should I say, my fingers burned, I would like to know if 20 gauge hookup wire is sufficient.  :scratch:

I'm getting parts together for the effort and have fifty feet of 20 gauge wire.

wushuliu

« Reply #289 on: 11 Jun 2010, 10:32 pm »
Before I get my feet wet again on a B1 build or should I say, my fingers burned, I would like to know if 20 gauge hookup wire is sufficient.  :scratch:

I'm getting parts together for the effort and have fifty feet of 20 gauge wire.

20 gauge stranded should be fine...

wushuliu

« Reply #290 on: 11 Jun 2010, 10:36 pm »
I'll have a couple extra sets of 1k and 220 ohm PRP resistors for $7 for anyone who wants to upgrade their resistors and/or lower their ouput impedance w/ the 220. This way you don't have to shell out minimum fees and ups shipping, etc. just to get them...  8)

The PRPs have arrived. I have about 3 or 4 sets (set=4) of 1k and 2 sets of the 220. Shoot me a PM if interested...

bigaudioscotto

« Reply #291 on: 12 Jun 2010, 12:30 pm »
Do any of you guys know how to wire B1
without using the input switch,using volume controls only.

avionic

« Reply #292 on: 12 Jun 2010, 12:39 pm »
Do any of you guys know how to wire B1
without using the input switch,using volume controls only.

See page 12 of this thread near the bottom.

bigaudioscotto

« Reply #293 on: 12 Jun 2010, 04:18 pm »
See page 12 of this thread near the bottom.
Just what I needed.
  Thanks,

bigaudioscotto

« Reply #294 on: 12 Jun 2010, 04:42 pm »
 I am using an all wood enclosure,do I need to ground the unit somehow.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #295 on: 12 Jun 2010, 06:24 pm »
I am using an all wood enclosure,do I need to ground the unit somehow.

No you don't.  Many users put them in wooden enclosures with no hum or noise.

bigaudioscotto

« Reply #296 on: 12 Jun 2010, 09:51 pm »
No you don't.  Many users put them in wooden enclosures with no hum or noise.
Great,Thanks for the feedback.

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #297 on: 13 Jun 2010, 01:39 am »

Thanks, Wushuliu,

As I've said before, tu est l'homme!

Nick77

« Reply #298 on: 13 Jun 2010, 10:42 am »

Does 20ga fit into the board, holes seem pretty small. I was going to get some 24ga just to be safe but i like bigger.  :eyebrows:

wushuliu

« Reply #299 on: 13 Jun 2010, 05:56 pm »
Does 20ga fit into the board, holes seem pretty small. I was going to get some 24ga just to be safe but i like bigger.  :eyebrows:

I use 24 awg solid core myself. You don't need more than that for low level audio signals unless like earplay you have some wire lying around.

Dunno about the hole size. That's why I do prefer the ebay board to the pass board (sorry Nelson). The ebay board has bigger input/output holes and is much more accommodating of cap sizes.