Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

parodielin

Re: Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit
« Reply #180 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:20 pm »
Grounding Question

I read it somewhere that you need to do chassis grounding.  From wushuliu's build pictures, I did not know if there is a "grounding" step in there.  If I plan to build the case using scrap MDF, how should I "ground" it?

sondale

« Reply #181 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:25 pm »
Grounding Question

I read it somewhere that you need to do chassis grounding.  From wushuliu's build pictures, I did not know if there is a "grounding" step in there.  If I plan to build the case using scrap MDF, how should I "ground" it?
The short answer is - you cannot! However if you want to shield the buffer you could spray the insides with a metal paint designed for RFI.
However I have run my B1 open - sitting on a block of wood - no problems.
I do remember that some people on DIYAudio had suggested that the grounding on the board is not optimal and that tracks could be cut and everything wired to the -ve on the psu cap. This again I have not done.
So another short answer - dont worry about it!
Alan

parodielin

« Reply #182 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:36 pm »
That's certainly great to hear.  I read someone is hearing "hum" and they suspect it's grounding issue.  However, what if I line sheet metal at the bottom of the chasis - would I be able to ground it in this case? if so how?

The short answer is - you cannot! However if you want to shield the buffer you could spray the insides with a metal paint designed for RFI.
However I have run my B1 open - sitting on a block of wood - no problems.
I do remember that some people on DIYAudio had suggested that the grounding on the board is not optimal and that tracks could be cut and everything wired to the -ve on the psu cap. This again I have not done.
So another short answer - dont worry about it!
Alan

sondale

« Reply #183 on: 7 Apr 2010, 05:44 pm »
That's certainly great to hear.  I read someone is hearing "hum" and they suspect it's grounding issue.  However, what if I line sheet metal at the bottom of the chasis - would I be able to ground it in this case? if so how?
I do not think that you will get hum - try the buffer first.

Are the people reporting the hum using the Nelson Pass boards or the Ebay ones?

I know of no problems with the NP boards.

Alan

parodielin

« Reply #184 on: 9 Apr 2010, 10:46 pm »
wushuliu,

Would you mind sharing where you got the enclosure?  (the only thing not on your BOM  :D)

How did you drill the holes?

Thanks!

Power supply Caps.

wushuliu

« Reply #185 on: 9 Apr 2010, 11:12 pm »
wushuliu,

Would you mind sharing where you got the enclosure?  (the only thing not on your BOM  :D)

How did you drill the holes?

Thanks!

From seller 'Tedss' on ebay. Search under Pactec. For the holes I just used my drill with a 3/8" wood boring bit for the volume pots and rca's. Regular 1/4" bit for the switch and power supply. My enclosure skills are pretty weak and I'm too impatient (and broke!) to get any fancier.

hth

parodielin

« Reply #186 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:16 am »
That helps.  Another question: is there any benefit of using two volume pots? 

Hate to answer my own question - I just figured if I use Stereo volume I only need one.  ;)

From seller 'Tedss' on ebay. Search under Pactec. For the holes I just used my drill with a 3/8" wood boring bit for the volume pots and rca's. Regular 1/4" bit for the switch and power supply. My enclosure skills are pretty weak and I'm too impatient (and broke!) to get any fancier.

hth

parodielin

« Reply #187 on: 10 Apr 2010, 03:32 am »
The wall wart has a lead time until 6/1/2010.  Any other option over digi-key?

wall wart
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=T987-P5P-ND

wushuliu

xecluded

« Reply #189 on: 10 Apr 2010, 04:59 am »
I am running my B-1 without any 1uf bypass cap. Does it hurt anything and which cap does it bypass. 

wushuliu

« Reply #190 on: 10 Apr 2010, 05:08 am »
I am running my B-1 without any 1uf bypass cap. Does it hurt anything and which cap does it bypass.

It bypasses the power supply, and no I don't believe it's absence causes harm.

parodielin

« Reply #191 on: 10 Apr 2010, 01:59 pm »
here you go!

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=T986-P5P-ND
Thanks!
I am amazed on how fast you can find another one.  All parameters on the Digi-Key is like crypto.  Any advises on how to decipher them?

wushuliu

« Reply #192 on: 10 Apr 2010, 05:51 pm »
Thanks!
I am amazed on how fast you can find another one.  All parameters on the Digi-Key is like crypto.  Any advises on how to decipher them?

I just use the search function, never the directory. I just type in 'potentiometer' or 'switch' or 'capacitor', etc. and go from there. Practice makes perfect. And I have had a LOT of practice.

parodielin

« Reply #193 on: 10 Apr 2010, 11:03 pm »
I just use the search function, never the directory. I just type in 'potentiometer' or 'switch' or 'capacitor', etc. and go from there. Practice makes perfect. And I have had a LOT of practice.

Quick question, why choose output of 6A? 

wushuliu

« Reply #194 on: 10 Apr 2010, 11:31 pm »
Quick question, why choose output of 6A?

Do you mean 6W? the wall wart has .33A...

Mariusz

« Reply #195 on: 10 Apr 2010, 11:40 pm »
Hi Wushu
A quick thank you
Recieved the package
looks great
Will try it early next week

Awesome job :thumb:

Best
Mariusz :)

parodielin

« Reply #196 on: 11 Apr 2010, 12:50 am »
My bad, yes 6W.  My challenge in Digi-Key has been how do I know it's 6W, not 4W or something else.

Do you mean 6W? the wall wart has .33A...

xecluded

« Reply #197 on: 11 Apr 2010, 10:10 am »
It bypasses the power supply, and no I don't believe it's absence causes harm.
Thanks.  I will put in a bypass cap when i have a chance to monkey with it.  It sounds so good that i did not feel like doing anything.

Would using battery power improve the sound even more.  If it is, i may build another one with battery power.  Not that i need anymore preamp but for the cost of putting one together, i can hardly go wrong  :green:

wushuliu

« Reply #198 on: 11 Apr 2010, 05:51 pm »
Thanks.  I will put in a bypass cap when i have a chance to monkey with it.  It sounds so good that i did not feel like doing anything.

Would using battery power improve the sound even more.  If it is, i may build another one with battery power.  Not that i need anymore preamp but for the cost of putting one together, i can hardly go wrong  :green:

Some people on Diyaudio think battery power sounds better. If you could build one and compare that would be great!

xecluded

« Reply #199 on: 11 Apr 2010, 05:54 pm »
Some people on Diyaudio think battery power sounds better. If you could build one and compare that would be great!
Great idea.  I will do it if you would show me how to connect it with SLA battery instead of those 9V batteries.  :green: