Balanced e-Pot Max

stvnharr

Balanced e-Pot Max
« on: 8 Aug 2023, 10:39 pm »
I have now built out my e-Pot controller to be fully balanced.
Many thanks to Mort for all his assistance, with everything.
The pic is the controller as it currently resides in use. More pics, of the inside and rear panels, to come later.

The case is a Galaxy 383 from Modushop. This is 330mm wide and seems a bit large. However, I have the 2 controller boards and the 2015 SMPS board inside. I used the Front Panel Design software for the custom panel designs, and I sent the .fpd files in with the order. Gianluca at Modushop is great to deal with in smoothing out the ordering details.

Controller performance, is just fantastic.

« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2023, 02:18 am by stvnharr »

rwolters

Re: Balanced e-Pot Max
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2023, 03:03 pm »
That looks very nice. I look forward to to seeing your photos and learning more about your build. I know Tortuga is moving and their business is changing. But it looks to me like it's still possible to buy the parts to make this controller. Thanks again.
Bob

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2023, 04:09 pm »
Congrats Steven on your new build.  :thumb:

As anyone knows who has gone through the process of designing and building their own gear, it's a LOT of work but the results can be very satisfying. Enjoy your new preamp and I look forward to seeing more pics.

Once established in Oregon I definitely intend to continue offering core parts to the DIY community. I have new developments to share on that and have been slowly whittling away on updated designs that I think will be of interest.

Meanwhile, back to wrapping things up here in Florida. As anyone who has moved after 15 years in one location, it can be a tedious and odious process of sorting, culling, tossing and packing. I'm not a hoarder, but it's amazing the stuff you can accumulate given enough time. The dumpster is my friend.

Cheers,
Morten

I have now built out my e-Pot controller to be fully balanced.
Many thanks to Mort for all his assistance, with everything.
The pic is the controller as it currently resides in use. More pics, of the inside and rear panels, to come later.

The case is a Galaxy 383 from Modushop. This is 330mm wide and seems a bit large. However, I have the 2 controller boards and the 2015 SMPS board inside. I used the Front Panel Design software for the custom panel designs, and I sent the .fpd files in with the order. Gianluca at Modushop is great to deal with in smoothing out the ordering details.

Controller performance, is just fantastic.

stvnharr

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2023, 03:32 am »
That looks very nice. I look forward to to seeing your photos and learning more about your build. I know Tortuga is moving and their business is changing. But it looks to me like it's still possible to buy the parts to make this controller. Thanks again.
Bob

Once I decided to do this back in June, I got right on to it as I knew Mort was moving to Oregon and I did not want to wait a few months to get the second controller board that was needed. And as noted by Mort, once he gets set up out in Bend, business will be back to normal.
My pic is not the best but I just wanted to get something posted. I still need to do some finishing touches on things, and I have the parts coming in the mail from faraway to Australia. I will take more, and better, pics at that time.

stvnharr

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2023, 11:15 pm »
Here are some more pics of my new controller and some words about it.
The case is the Modushop Galaxy 383 with 10mm front panel. I had Modushop install holes and printing on the front and rear panels, and I opted for the plexiglass insert in the front panel. To get the plexiglass insert I had to opt for the 10mm front panel. I then had to mill out for the encoder knob. I used the Front Panel Express CAD software for the design work and forwarded these files with the order. Gianluca at Modushop is great at customer service and help for all needs. I am really pleased with the case.
Because I already had the 2015 SMPS I opted to use the wider 383 case. It would all have been really tight with the narrower 283 case. But if one uses an external psu, then the Galaxy 283 would be the one to use.

This first pic is of the unit at turn on and it's identification.

This shows the programmed impedance setting.

I only learned about the adjustable impedance feature when I built the balanced unit. This is great. I currently use the 25k impedance setting. I plan to install a few others in time. FWIW, I did not notice any real difference between the 50k and 25k settings.

Here is a pic of the rear panel. I chose to use Cardas XLR connectors for the main input and main output. These are the very best connectors! I made provision for adding a second input connection, but have not filled it, covering it instead as I have no second source and no current plans to add one. The second output connector is Neutrik and goes to the subwoofers. I used Neutrik here as the subs have Neutrik connectors and my cable has Neutrik plugs. While Neutrik's are low in cost, they are nowhere near as good as Cardas connectors and plugs. However Cardas costs many time more than Neutriks. In time I may change to Cardas for the sub connections and cables.

Here is a pic of the inside of the Galaxy 383 case and the layout of the psu and controllers. There is lots of space which makes it all very easy.  I laid out the controllers so that all connecting wires would be short. I used VHAudio AirLock hookup wire as I find it to be the very easiest to use of any hookup wire I have ever used, and I have used just about everything. I highly recommend this wire.

« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2023, 04:22 am by stvnharr »