NBA season suspended

charmerci

Re: NBA season suspended
« Reply #180 on: 28 Mar 2020, 05:26 pm »
People!  :duh:
https://www.kmov.com/news/local-nurse-resigns-after-being-told-she-can-t-wear/article_c0d13a3e-7089-11ea-b0e9-ffee66285f33.html?fbclid=IwAR2R8z3ZKbFcnU_ughjGIpBmRHeaT1YGaFE2O-BhftbSaDmOukeUmUvuRbE
My nurse friend in Houston was also asked to not wear her mask because people might freak out.  :o With people everywhere wearing masks, it just doesn't make any sense.  :scratch:

OzarkTom

« Reply #181 on: 29 Mar 2020, 05:04 pm »
An Italian nurse committed suicide after she got the virus and feared she had given it to others.

My daughter made her niece some masks and shipped to her. Now her ward has become a Coronavirus ward.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #182 on: 29 Mar 2020, 05:58 pm »
https://www.kmov.com/news/local-nurse-resigns-after-being-told-she-can-t-wear/article_c0d13a3e-7089-11ea-b0e9-ffee66285f33.html?fbclid=IwAR2R8z3ZKbFcnU_ughjGIpBmRHeaT1YGaFE2O-BhftbSaDmOukeUmUvuRbE
My nurse friend in Houston was also asked to not wear her mask because people might freak out.  :o With people everywhere wearing masks, it just doesn't make any sense.  :scratch:

What fools are making those decisions ? Mgmt ? Doctors ? Both ?

charles

charmerci

« Reply #183 on: 29 Mar 2020, 09:15 pm »

What fools are making those decisions ? Mgmt ? Doctors ? Both ?

charles
Management.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #184 on: 29 Mar 2020, 10:27 pm »
One of our good friends is a CNA. She's been at the same hospital for more than ten years. She told us today that management has strictly forbidden wearing of masks. I do not know if ER staff are allowed to wear masks.

Update:

Apparently Nurses and some(?) doctors are allowed to wear masks, but CNAs (and other support staff??) are not. Same excuse: "Don't want to scare patients."  :nono: There is confusing information coming from 'sources' about this policy. There's a FB group that supplies info about updates, but it doesn't appear to be an official hospital FB page.  :duh: What a mess.

[snide remark next] Obviously, it's much better to ensure more people get sick so as to generate more income a week or two later.  :duh:
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2020, 06:10 pm by mresseguie »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #185 on: 29 Mar 2020, 11:05 pm »

The hospital my son works at here in town has the same policy.  I think that a court would rule against a hospital.  Healthcare workers need to be allowed to protect themselves.  I wear a mask even if I am seeing a broken ankle.  Not one patient has complained.  It is easy for an administrator who is sitting in his office or working at home to make such a decision since they are not at risk and seeing patients.  They see healthcare workers as disposable and replaceable.

I told my son to wear what he wants and let them fire him.  It would make a great news story and lawsuit.

kmmd

« Reply #186 on: 1 Apr 2020, 01:58 pm »
This is why you test broadly.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europe/iceland-testing-coronavirus-intl/index.html

“ Some of the revelations have been stark. Although fewer than 1% of the tests came back positive for the virus, the company's founder Dr. Kári Stefánsson told CNN that around 50% of those who tested positive said they were asymptomatic, confirming multiple studies that show that asymptomatic, or mildly symptomatic, people have played an important role in spreading the virus.

“ The work has also helped researchers to visualize the spread of the virus. "We can determine the geographic origin of the virus in every single [virus] in Iceland,"

“ Why has Iceland chosen not to implement a lockdown?
Iceland has yet to take many of the draconian measures seen across Europe and Asia of state-wide lockdowns, though the island country has banned gatherings of 100 people or more and closed secondary and tertiary schools.

Officials say more restrictive measures haven't been needed because they were better prepared and armed with data to track the virus.

Iceland began testing its population in early February, weeks before its first coronavirus-related death, Stefánsson said, adding that health officials have aggressively contact-traced and quarantined confirmed and suspected Covid-19 cases.

“He adds that many developed countries have an "amazing collection of talent" who could have "industrialized tests like this a long time ago" but "behaved like nothing was happening."

ctviggen

« Reply #187 on: 1 Apr 2020, 02:15 pm »
Another thing about widespread testing is then you can see how many people really have it.  For instance, in Iceland (and Vo, Italy), they found that 50-75% of the people who have it are asymptomatic but can transmit it (not sure how long that's for, though).

Other countries also used this to isolate the asymptomatic carriers. Basically, if you isolate everyone who has it, you can limit the spread.

Note that you have to test negative people multiple times, though.  They can get positive after a while, and the tests have false negatives. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #188 on: 1 Apr 2020, 03:24 pm »
The tests have a 10-15% false negative rate and a low sensitivity (46%) and high specificity (90%).  The sensitivity goes up as you do more swabs (throat and boths sides of the Nasopharynx, this brings it up to possibly 70%).

And the issue is, you can be negative initially, but 2 days later be positive.  But clearly wide  spread testing is good and needed to help contain the virus.

The EM doctor from the east coast that ended up in the ICU on a ventilator had symptoms of COVID but his initial test was negative.  2 days later he was in respiratory distress and admitted to the ICU and tested positive.

Sensitivity (also called the true positive rate, the recall, or probability of detection[1] in some fields) measures the proportion of actual positives that are correctly identified as such (e.g., the percentage of sick people who are correctly identified as having the condition).

Specificity (also called the true negative rate) measures the proportion of actual negatives that are correctly identified as such (e.g., the percentage of healthy people who are correctly identified as not having the condition).

charmerci

« Reply #189 on: 1 Apr 2020, 05:29 pm »
Oh just lovely - 100 chartered a plane to Mexico. And how many more springbreakers were there throughout the nation?

https://news.yahoo.com/28-texas-spring-breakers-just-205700744.html

kmmd

« Reply #190 on: 1 Apr 2020, 05:53 pm »
I’ve also been thinking about all of the tourists visiting Vegas since January and then flying back home.  They don’t have symptoms at first as the virus incubates.  They get home, go out and spread it.  We know that the virus lives for up to 72 hours on steel and plastic.  It makes you think about slapping that Max Bet button on slot machines.  Then there’s no social distancing while sitting next to each other during shows, concerts or at the card table.  What about the lovely buffets?   It makes you think twice about grabbing those crab legs with the tongs that everyone else just used.

Edit to add:  I guess what happens in Vegas doesn’t just stay in Vegas.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #191 on: 1 Apr 2020, 06:28 pm »
Here is a interesting map of a few folks on a Florida beach a few day's ago for spring break.  And  where did these folks all go.
This is a Facebook link and it appears to be public, or at least I didn't have to use my wife's account. 
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1060884867628936

And wont even go there on the cell phone tracking and yet I forget what country required you to install a app so they could track you after testing.  Still not sure is it was swipe right or left :scratch:

Alan

charmerci

« Reply #192 on: 1 Apr 2020, 06:36 pm »
I’ve also been thinking about all of the tourists visiting Vegas since January and then flying back home.  They don’t have symptoms at first as the virus incubates.  They get home, go out and spread it.  We know that the virus lives for up to 72 hours on steel and plastic.  It makes you think about slapping that Max Bet button on slot machines.  Then there’s no social distancing while sitting next to each other during shows, concerts or at the card table.  What about the lovely buffets?   It makes you think twice about grabbing those crab legs with the tongs that everyone else just used.

Edit to add:  I guess what happens in Vegas doesn’t just stay in Vegas.
I traveled throughout Europe this winter. I left Paris on Feb 28th having spent the month there. I know I'm only one person but I'm good!
I was back in March and no one was telling anyone to even be careful.

OzarkTom

« Reply #194 on: 3 Apr 2020, 04:08 am »
I see some are donating to the cause, are the rich also donating? They can die from the virus. Sony donated 100k.

NFL teams has also donated.