IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #260 on: 19 Feb 2016, 05:44 pm »
Hi Jeff,

I tend to agree with Michael.  You might find the Bass Response exceptional over other possible choices since the damping is quite high in this design, and this gives cleaner and deeper Bass than lower damping amps.

Also due to the high efficiency you will find the Dynamics and Headroom off the charts.

I have a lot of customers with many different speakers, but haven't had any with the Omegas yet.  on paper, they look good together.

Sounds like a winner. I have read a lot of good reviews on it and I for sure need the headroom and dynamics due to the kind of music I listen to. Alot of Metallica and Primus stuff like that. Alternative and metal. I listen to everything but want an amp that will also shine when listening to very demanding music. I also have read that this amp is pretty silent. I know it's not a huge deal but I don't want to hear hiss during quiet passages in music. I read a review that stated he turned the volume up and paused his source and heard no feedback. Is this true? I am so torn between this amp and the amp that I keep reading has perfect synergy with the Omega's, the Decware SE-84 UFO. It's a VERY hard choice. Both are the exact same price. What do you guys think between those two options?

John Casler

« Reply #261 on: 19 Feb 2016, 11:29 pm »
Sounds like a winner. I have read a lot of good reviews on it and I for sure need the headroom and dynamics due to the kind of music I listen to. Alot of Metallica and Primus stuff like that. Alternative and metal. I listen to everything but want an amp that will also shine when listening to very demanding music. I also have read that this amp is pretty silent. I know it's not a huge deal but I don't want to hear hiss during quiet passages in music. I read a review that stated he turned the volume up and paused his source and heard no feedback. Is this true? I am so torn between this amp and the amp that I keep reading has perfect synergy with the Omega's, the Decware SE-84 UFO. It's a VERY hard choice. Both are the exact same price. What do you guys think between those two options?

Yes, the noise of the system is quite low.

And I can't tell you what the SE84UFO will sound like in comparison, but you can see that the power output difference is significant.

Additionally the "feature set" is quite different.

With the IDA-8 you get digital and analog inputs, a full DAC function, and remote control to change inputs and volume levels.  Just add sources and go.

JackD

« Reply #262 on: 20 Feb 2016, 12:37 am »
Jeff

I have had mine since the pre-order batch and have used it with speakers up to 91db and it is dead silent.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #263 on: 20 Feb 2016, 08:51 am »
A subwoofer question. Forgive me if this is a dumb question; I am a neophyte. 

I am looking for a small integrated amplifier to hook up to a pair of bookshelf speakers and a powered subwoofer.  The IDA-8 looks great, but I am uncertain how it will work with a 2.1 system. 

If I were to connect a subwoofer to the analog line-out of the IDA-8, the amplifier how much overlap would there be in the reproduced frequencies by the speakers and the subwoofer? 

What I think would happen:
1.  The speakers get a full range signal and will reproduce the frequencies that they can.

2.  The subwoofer amplifier will get a full range signal, but the cross-over in the subwoofer amp will apply a cut-off frequency (i.e. 100hz or 80hz, etc). 

Do I have the correct?

Is there a downside to this approach, versus an integrated amplifier that has the ability to limit the low frequencies sent to the bookshelves? 
It seems to me that if the bookshelves could be spared from trying to reproduce the low notes handled by the subwoofer there might be lower woofer excursion and so better controlled mid-range.  Am I off base?

Thank you,
Mike

Your points are all correct. Yes the speakers will get the full range while the powered sub will cut off with a low pass filter. I wouldn't really worry about it at this point. Yes you could start looking into more complex arrangements with proper external crossovers leading into eventual bi/tri amping situations, but the whole point of using an integrated is to keep your life simple right?

You could also try looking for speakers that may have a high pass filter built in to them naturally.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #264 on: 20 Feb 2016, 11:20 pm »
Yeah.  The IDA-8 is looking like the choice I am leaning towards. I have a Fleawatt TPA-3116 and Schiit Audio Modi 2 dac right now which I absolutely love!  If it had more inputs and a remote,  I wouldn't even be looking but it doesn't.  I wonder how similar the IDA-8 would sound to the TPA-3116 and Schiit Modi combo.

mervinpearce

« Reply #265 on: 21 Feb 2016, 11:14 am »
Just after unboxing the IDA-8 tried it on both the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (Really fantastic combination) as well with the Wilson Audio Puppies.  Also very happy to pair them.  Puppies a bit close together but was only to check them IDA-8 control.  Will keep the IDA-8 with the SFs.

mr_bill

« Reply #266 on: 21 Feb 2016, 05:50 pm »
Which W/P version are those?
How does the IDA-8 compare to the 16?

mervinpearce

« Reply #267 on: 22 Feb 2016, 01:59 am »
Which W/P version are those?
How does the IDA-8 compare to the 16?
W/P 5.1
The IDA-16  has more control and in a seperate test we found that the IDA-8 drives speakers that require more power very well but it has limited volume.  One specific speaker tested was the Audio Physic Virgo 25.  The IDA-8 sounded really good but felt it needed just that extra bit of power when pushed hard.  The IDA-8 I found to be similar sounding at all levels.  It does not lose composure, just goes louder until max volume.  I presume there is a logical limiter which controls exactly to ensure optimum delivery.

The IDA-8 brings more 'bass' out compared to the IDA-16, but the IDA-16 has more refined sound at a close to a reference stack. 

I have also taken the leap and bought the DAC-9 with 2 x STA-9 (bridged) to get more power and control.

The only problem I have with NuPrime products is that I find I am running out of rooms in my house to put them :)

The IDA-8 is better value for money IMHO but the IDA-16 is the choice for me if you have 'play' money. HTH

rustydoglim

« Reply #268 on: 22 Feb 2016, 06:46 am »
Thanks for your comment. That's our design goal for IDA-8. It is a do-it-all and supposedly future proof (even though one can never predict) integrated. You can mix and match until you are confused with the rest of the DACs and amps combination.

maty

« Reply #269 on: 22 Feb 2016, 09:08 am »
Maybe the problem is the "4 Ohm" of Audio Physic Virgo 25 (89dB). Well, the minimum impedance is near or below 3 Ohms in [100 Hz - 1 or 2 kHz]

More traditional class D amplifiers have problems with low impedance.

There are lots of speakers, it is best to focus on those that we know its impedance, phase, frequency curves.... I think.

mervinpearce

« Reply #270 on: 22 Feb 2016, 09:16 am »
Maybe the problem is the "4 Ohm" of Audio Physic Virgo 25 (89dB). Well, the minimum impedance is near or below 3 Ohms in [100 Hz - 1 or 2 kHz]

More traditional class D amplifiers have problems with low impedance.

There are lots of speakers, it is best to focus on those that we know its impedance curves, phase, frequency .... I think.
Thanks

maty

« Reply #271 on: 22 Feb 2016, 09:44 am »
And class AB amplifiers with MOSFET too with 2 Ohms. Solution: pay for double die ($100) like stereo AVA. Or two mono.

-> http://audiorevelation.com/products/nuprime-ida-8-integrated-amplifier/

“I finally set up my bedroom system with the IDA-8 and the KEF LS50s with the new subwoofer. With the Bluetooth dongle the sound is pretty impressive. … It is pretty amazing what that amp can do for that money-that amp is easily the equal of some 2k amps I have heard. … The LS50s really continue to amaze and really benefit from the sub in the system.”
– Jeff K, VT (a happy IDA-8 owner)

KEF LS50: 85 dB and 3.9 Ohms minimum at 200 Hz

-> http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker-measurements

More cheap and ease to move my KEF Q100: 86 dB and 4.7 Ohms minimum about 200 Hz. I think is ideally to Nuprime IDA-8 or STA-9 amplifiers. And I love the magic sound 5.25" Uni-Q KEF coaxial!

-> http://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/hifi/kef-q100/laborbericht-kef-q-100-seite-5.html

-> http://medleysmusings.com/kef-q100-drive-unit-testing/

PD: KEF LS50 has rear bass-reflex in the rear. They say that they need minimum 3 ft (1 m) to rear walls side walls too! -> it need big room and more power.

KEF Q100, with front bass-reflex, does not have these limitations.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #272 on: 23 Feb 2016, 05:35 am »
Thanks for your comment. That's our design goal for IDA-8. It is a do-it-all and supposedly future proof (even though one can never predict) integrated. You can mix and match until you are confused with the rest of the DACs and amps combination.

When you say "future proof " what  makes this amp future proof?  Can you elaborate?

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #273 on: 23 Feb 2016, 05:42 am »
Also. Reading some specs.  With the analog inputs, it says they are digitalized. What does that mean exactly? Will I be able to hook up my Denon DVD 955-S SACD/DVD Audio to the analog inputs to spin SACD and DVD-Audio discs and use the coax to play redbook CD's?  Is that the best route to take?

rustydoglim

« Reply #274 on: 23 Feb 2016, 05:52 am »
I don't forsee DAC's performance going beyond DSD256 and 32-bit/384kHz any time soon. The majority of the content are still 16-bit/44.1K and even most of the hi-res music are 24-bit/96kHz with some at 192k or DSD128.

The amp design is really good and we don't forsee innovation that can dramatically change that. The fundamental design for Class D has not changed (cars are still 4 wheels and bicycles are still the same design since its invention). It is still possible that in a few years, we can price IDA-8 cheaper (I foresee NuPrime selling amp module and customers download the case design and 3D print on local shops) but no drastic change to the performance. It is difficult to overcome these physical limitation.  It took almost ten years from 2005 where we came up with audiophile quality class D amp to reach what we have today. Last year was the "Great Leap forward" year where we have explosion of designs and ideas (all these products were designed last year). And all of you have validated that these new amps that cost a fraction of the price of other high-end amps easily out perform them.

There is a digital port which is actually S/PDIF and +/- 5V supply at the back of the IDA-8. That is designed to connect and power external receiver such as NuPrime WR-100 or next generation NuPrime Omnia receiver (capable of 32-bit/384 or DSD256 streaming, expected June 2016).  We don't build WiFi audio into our amps or DACs because that will make it obsolete.

rustydoglim

« Reply #275 on: 23 Feb 2016, 06:19 am »
Also. Reading some specs.  With the analog inputs, it says they are digitalized. What does that mean exactly? Will I be able to hook up my Denon DVD 955-S SACD/DVD Audio to the analog inputs to spin SACD and DVD-Audio discs and use the coax to play redbook CD's?  Is that the best route to take?

No a good idea. You should just use the coax for the digital SACD and CD from Denon.  The analog input is mainly for entry level turntable (with line out) or other device with no digital output.

srb

« Reply #276 on: 23 Feb 2016, 06:39 am »
Will I be able to hook up my Denon DVD 955-S SACD/DVD Audio to the analog inputs to spin SACD and DVD-Audio discs and use the coax to play redbook CD's?

No a good idea. You should just use the coax for the digital SACD and CD from Denon.

I believe SACD copy protection will prevent digital output over S/PDIF and many players, if they do output DVD-A over S/PDIF, often downsample that to a lower resolution.

Steve

rustydoglim

« Reply #277 on: 23 Feb 2016, 07:16 am »
You are right.
Now it depends on how much he uses the Denon versus computer source. If the ultimate performance is required, then the analog input from IDA-8 is not ideal. He should go with DAC-9 and STA-9.
I just read the draft copy of The Absolute Sound review of IDA-8 and half of the time the reviewer was using turntable with IDA-8 and she was very impressed with the sound. I think a lot also depends on how good is the DAC implement in the Denon. my point is that if the D2A is not the best, then another step of A2D wouldn't have that much impact.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #278 on: 23 Feb 2016, 05:12 pm »
I believe SACD copy protection will prevent digital output over S/PDIF and many players, if they do output DVD-A over S/PDIF, often downsample that to a lower resolution.

Steve

That is exactly correct.  That is why I am asking about the analog inputs on the IDA-8. So whuy is it a bad idea to use the analog inputs on the IDA-8? I mainly will be playing CD's and streaming Spotify but also would like to play my small collection of SACD's and DVD-AUDIO discs. What is the best way to do this?

srb

« Reply #279 on: 23 Feb 2016, 05:33 pm »
So why is it a bad idea to use the analog inputs on the IDA-8?

I'm guessing because the analog input is digitized, meaning you would be going through an unnecessary Analog to Digital and Digital to Analog conversion.  While perhaps not necessarily sounding bad, it's certainly not the purest route, particularly for your SACD and DVD-A sources.

I know the IDA-16 is 2.6X the price, but I don't see the parenthetical "(analog input will be digitized)" after its analog input spec, so I'm just curious if that amplifier provides a true unaltered analog path for the analog input or was it just omitted from the specifications copy?

Steve