"Your player was not found." (SB3 - Version 3 SqueezeBox)

richidoo

Re: "Your player was not found." (SB3 - Version 3 SqueezeBox)
« Reply #20 on: 6 Aug 2008, 01:23 pm »
Your router is probably your DHCP server, which gives out IP addresses automatically when requested. Do as woodsyi suggested. Shut everything off, PC, SB, router, even modem. If you have other clients on the network, they may need to shutdown too. After 30 seconds off, turn them back on one at a time.  First modem, then router, then PC, then SB. It is important to notice that the router is done booting and its happy lights are on before starting PC or SB. Make sure that the PC is fully booted and slimserver is running before starting up the SB. That will make SB startup easier.

What will happen when you reboot everything is you will reset the OS in the router and wipe out the DHCP database which thinks it is correct but is outof sync with what the clients think. Then when the router is back on track, it will give out new IP addresses to the clients (PC and SB) when they turn on and request a new IP address.

DHCP uses leases to reserve IPs when the client is shut off. But they usually expire in 72 hours. No telling how it got screwed up, but the beauty is the ease of fixin, just reboot, or you could do the manual commands but you have to think too much. The SB may start a networksetup again on its own, or you may need to force network setup once all the IPs are corrected.

FWIW, slim 6.5.4 is very stable, that's not the problem. It's your DHCP server in the router. If you're like me you have a $40 router, it needs a break sometimes.
Good luck Bob, I hope this helps a little.
Rich

Wally King

« Reply #21 on: 6 Aug 2008, 01:32 pm »
Ah yes.  This thread confirms the correctness of my decision to return my Squeezebox Duet.  I spent many more hours trying to eliminate bugs than I did listening to music.

It's so nice to just slip a CD into my player.

Works every time!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #22 on: 6 Aug 2008, 02:11 pm »
Wally,

This is the Discless Circle.  Don't you dare bring CD's in here unless you are ripping it.   :lol: :lol:

It really isn't bad you know.  You only hear the bad part.  You just don't hear the multitude chiming in everyday to report that their server is working fine.  It really is nice to select from thousands of CDs without getting up to change CD's  :wink: BTW, I run both.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #23 on: 6 Aug 2008, 02:38 pm »
Absolutely.  In addition, there have been some issues with the Duet that were long ago resolved with the SB3.  Can't tell you the last time I played a CD in a player. 

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #24 on: 6 Aug 2008, 02:48 pm »
OK.  So what is the IP address of the SB3?  Do you have any other computers in the house or just this one and the SB3? 
Again, I'm at work now, so I'll have to check the SB's address tonight.
The only components in my network are the PC, the wireless router, and the SB.
{The modem is dial-up and intregal in the PC}.

Richidoo - I can try that. I'm confident I can follow those instructions without screwing anything up.  :lol:

Wally - I couldn't live without my SB. I'd curl up and die without it. In fact, I'm beginning to have withdrawl symptoms already. The ability to switch discs, genres, moods ETC.... without having to set your drink down and lift your lazy butt off the chair overshadows any 'bugs'. Besides, this is a self inflicted bug. The entire PC/SB/network has operated flawlessly from day one. I created this issue by unplugging ALL of my components while on vacation {insurance from lightning/power surges). Normally, the components we've been talking about are plugged into a UPS (uninteruptable power supply) which guards against surges and momentary power outages.

Bob

Wally King

« Reply #25 on: 6 Aug 2008, 03:33 pm »
Wally,

This is the Discless Circle.  Don't you dare bring CD's in here unless you are ripping it.   :lol: :lol:

It really isn't bad you know.  You only hear the bad part.  You just don't hear the multitude chiming in everyday to report that their server is working fine.  It really is nice to select from thousands of CDs without getting up to change CD's  :wink: BTW, I run both.

I just thought I'd roll that grenade into the room and make a quick exit.

Seriously, I'm sure I'll try the discless route again in a couple of years.  The technology seems to be progressing very rapidly, but I'm not convinced it's ready for prime time.

I just want to listen to music.  If the hardward gets in the way, the hardware goes.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 6 Aug 2008, 03:47 pm »
You could always go the wired route.  :wink:
Some folks argue it sound better than wireless.

How's that for a grenade?

Bob

Bemopti123

« Reply #27 on: 6 Aug 2008, 04:03 pm »
Do not want to rain on the party, but this is one of the main reasons why I sold my SB2 a while back.  The software is glitchy beyond believe, therefore it is not something you can rely solely for a reliable playback purpose. 

I believe that a hardwired USB DAC is the more reliable solution...but still this might not be the 100% reliable solution as you expect.  I have experienced drop in USB signal loss that comes from computers going to sleep mode, but I simply disconnect and connect the signal cable for the info flow to be restored, which is MUCH better than dealing with network encryption failure etc... issues.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #28 on: 6 Aug 2008, 04:16 pm »
Right now I am running both wired and wireless.  I have almost no issues with wired.  I think the problem you experience has to do with wireless networking more than the operation of SB. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:07 am »
OK.  So what is the IP address of the SB3? 
Holding the power button on the SB's remote, I got into the [Current Settings] list of 18 parameters.
The relevant one's appear to be:

(4 of 18): IP Address 192.168.0.1
(8 of 18): SlimServer 192.168.0.1
(14 of 18): Host name 192.168.1.102

Hopefully one of those is the address you asked for?  :oops: :dunno:

Richidoo - I tried your suggestion of the sequence of shutdown and start up.....to no avail.  :|

Bob

GBB

« Reply #30 on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:54 am »
Holding the power button on the SB's remote, I got into the [Current Settings] list of 18 parameters.

Bob,
I think that the IP address (192.168.0.1) is the address for your Squeezebox.
The Slimserver address (192.168.0.1) is the computer where you're running slimserver and store music.
They are supposed to be different and the fact that they are the same is the problem.  You need to redo the network settings for your Squeezebox. 

Hold down the "left arrow" button on the remote until you get a screen that says "Squeezebox Setup".
Scroll up or down until you get a screen that says "Setup Networking". 
From there you should be able to get your Squeezebox to get a new IP address.

---Gary

mcullinan

« Reply #31 on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:55 am »
My netgear router has a button on it to reset it to factory state. Maybe do that and reapply your router updates.
Also try shutting down the router, cable modem again.
Hmm..
Mike

richidoo

« Reply #32 on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:57 am »
Richidoo - I tried your suggestion of the sequence of shutdown and start up.....to no avail.  :|

Dang nabbit!  Sounds like you may not have DHCP running on the router, or router DHCP server is screwed up, or you're not even using DHCP. You definitely want to be using DHCP ;) Your PC and SB have the same IP and shouldn't. You also have the SB thinking hostname is on another network. The IPs of all clients that need to talk to each other should have the same first three numbers. This is determined by the subnet mask, which you said was 255.255.255.0. DHCP would normally handle that too.

Read about DHCP. Do you know if you normally use it? It comes standard with all consumer routers and set to run as default. It manages all this stuff for you. That fact that rebooting everything didn't fix it is highly suspect. Normally when you shut the DHCP server (router) down it erases the table of clients and rebuilds from scratch so it should not still be giving *.*.0.1 to both PC and SB.

If it's not broke, then maybe you're not using DHCP to manage your network's IP addresses? (It can be shut off) When you first set up the SB did you type in that IP address manually, 192.168.0.1?  Did you set the networking settings on your computer manually?  Some PC techs have a religious objection against DHCP and so make their client's computer networking lives hell. It is always turned on by default so somebody would have had to turn it off, or it's broken on the router.

You could go into the router's setup application if you know its IP address. Using web browser, browse to 192.168.1.1. That is the default IP address for most consumer routers. If you get a login you have found it. Enter the password and find the DHCP section. See if "DHCP server" is turned on. You may see the actual DHCP table which shows all clients and their current issued IPs. The IP pool should be on the 192.168.1.* network. Make sure you have allotted enough leases to cover all the IP clients on your network. The subnet mask can stay 255.255.255.0. That should be all you need to make DHCP go.

If you do find the router at 192.168.1.1, then that's another problem, your PC and SB should be on the same 192.168.1.* network as the router's private network port (its inside IP address). But they are on the 192.168.0.* network, so the router can't see them even if its DHCP is working. The PC and SB should both be set to be DHCP clients. It is a single check box and OK button on the PC, super easy.

On the SB, if you run through SB networking setup, it will give you the option to get an IP address from DHCP. See what happens when you try that. If it craps out maybe you don't have DHCP running. If it gets an IP, then maybe your DHCP server is dishing out bad IPs and is hosed. A new router is cheap. ;)

I hope this helps and not too confusing.
Rich

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:58 am »
If you go to SETTINGS/INFORMATION  on the SB3 you can find the IP addresses.

the HOST IP is (or should be) the address of the server

The PLAYER IP ADDRESS should be the address of the SB3

Bryan

mcullinan

« Reply #34 on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:59 am »

Bob,
I think that the IP address (192.168.0.1) is the address for your Squeezebox.
The Slimserver address (192.168.0.1) is the computer where you're running slimserver and store music.
They are supposed to be different and the fact that they are the same is the problem.  You need to redo the network settings for your Squeezebox. 

Hold down the "left arrow" button on the remote until you get a screen that says "Squeezebox Setup".
Scroll up or down until you get a screen that says "Setup Networking". 
From there you should be able to get your Squeezebox to get a new IP address.

---Gary

Yes I think that's right they should be different.
Hehe some help I am ;)

avta

« Reply #35 on: 7 Aug 2008, 03:26 am »
Here is my list:
1. Uninstall the current version of Squeezecenter software.
2. Install the current version from the Slim Devices web site.
3. Unplug the power to the SB. Wait five minutes.
4. Be sure you can connect to your wireless network using a computer.
5. Plug the power to the SB back in while you hold down the Add/+ button on the remote.
6. Go through the installation screens just as you did when you first set it up.
7. Be sure you enter your wireless security code at the appropriate point. You did not mention this as far as I can see. The wireless security is set from the wireless router. If you are not sure get the installation disk that came with the router and select one of the security types such as WEP. This will require that you use one set of 10 characters if you pick the weakest security. This string of numbers and letters will be the ones you will have to enter into the SB when asked.
8. continue through the setup screens allowing the SB to select things automatically.

Good luck.

WGH

« Reply #36 on: 7 Aug 2008, 03:31 am »
Networking problems...how can I resist?

1.) Back to basics, nobody has a clue (including me) what you are doing.

2.) If you are using Win XP, Download and install Printkey from my website. Now when you press the PrintScreen button on your keyboard you can easily get a screen capture "Rectangle" means you can capture a rectangle size of your choosing instead of just the whole screen. This is what I use to get screen captures.

3.) Start Button --> Settings --> Network Connection --> Local Area Connection --> Right Click --> Choose Properties --> Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" --> Click on Properties

4.) Start Button --> Run --> type in 'cmd' without the quotes --> OK --> type is ipconfig /all (you did this before)

5.) Paste in screen capture

6.) I'll wait...

WGH

« Reply #37 on: 7 Aug 2008, 03:52 am »
7.) What firewall are you using?

8.) richidoo and bpape are giving excellent advise, once you know the IP address of the computer, router, and SqueezeBox you are close to done.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 7 Aug 2008, 11:47 am »
Wow, lots of information.  :o

Read about DHCP. Do you know if you normally use it?
I'll check the link Rich. Thanks!
I don't know if I'm using DHCP or not. Sorry.
:?
When you first set up the SB did you type in that IP address manually, 192.168.0.1?  Did you set the networking settings on your computer manually?  
Can't remember if I had to set anything manually. IF MEMORY SERVES... Seting up the SB, Slimserver, and Network was VERY easy. Basically I turned everything on and answered a few questions, but I don't recall addresses being one of the questions. If it were, I would have hit the same brickwall I'm hitting now.
I hope this helps and not too confusing.
I think this is good information Rich, but it IS confusing. It will take me a few times of reading what you said for it to sink in.

WGH (Wayne?) - I downloaded "Printkey" and installed it. I've always wanted to be able to do that but never spent the time to learn how. Thanks for that tidbit of information, that's very nice. However, I'm only able to capture an image on the Printkey software, but am unable to do anything past that. When I come back here to the reply page I expected to be able to "paste" in the reply box, but "paste" isn't an option when I right click in the text box.  :roll: Jezz...
Regarding the firewall, It's the basic MS stuff that comes with Windows XP.

AVTA - Reinstalling SlimServer is an option, but I'd rather use that as a last resort.

Mike - This Linksys router does have a reset button on it, but like reinstalling Slimserver, I'll save that one as a last resort too.

Gary - Yea, You're right. There's a couple units that have the same address and as has been mentioned here that's not the way it supposed to be. The roadblock at this point in time is "what goes where".

Bryan - In addition to the three addresses I posted earlier, I found yet another address on the SlimServer page.
In: "Home / Server Settings / Basic Settings" in "VERSION INFO" it displays:
Server IP address: 172.162.230.244
This goes against what Rich said when he made the comment: The IPs of all clients that need to talk to each other should have the same first three numbers.

So to recap what I've got, the SB shows these:

The SlimServer software shows, Server IP address: 172.162.230.244

Now, is it just me, or does it appear that the SlimServer software has two different addresses depeding on who you ask???

-----> This is interesting. Just for grins, I went to the PC's "Network Connections" and it says the IP address and sublet mask for the router are both 0.0.0.0
That CAN'T be right. I know I looked at that exact spot the other day and it wasn't all zeros.

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 7 Aug 2008, 01:02 pm »
The 172.162.x.x is likely the outside IP address that the world sees.  The 192.168.x.x IPs are your internal network that the router divvy's up. 

Looking again at your IP's....

The HOST should be the IP of the server.  If that's 192.168.0.1 then that's what the host should be set to.  Your SB3 should have a 192.168.1.xxx IP as given by the router assuming you're using DHCP.  If when you go through the networking setup on the SB3, you select "OBTAIN IP AUTOMATICALLY", then you're asking it to use DHCP. 

What time do you get home?  I have my mom coming down for the weekend but might be able to slide over tonight to get this worked out.  Give me a call.

Bryan