Best method of shipping gear US to Canada

TomS

Best method of shipping gear US to Canada
« on: 21 Dec 2006, 11:28 am »
I love this new circle at times like this... so here goes -

I am in the US and have a potential buyer in Canada for my Wadia CD Player, so I began investigating shipment options to quote to him.  It is a rather high ticket item so significant insurance would be required.  The container is about 24x24x16 and 65 lbs., triple boxed, etc. but well within "normal" parcel/packaging limits.

In the past, I've shipped a few Audiogon items through without too much problem, as long as the buyer understands the brokerage fees and GST/Provincial Tax implications and factors that in.  Since the Wadia C of O is the US, NAFTA eliminates the duties.

I used online calculators for Fedex, UPS, DHL, and USPS and, as usual, got wildly varying responses - from $100 to $800(!), for the same item, even when comparing apples to apples (both air and ground).  USPS is usually pretty good for international stuff, but doesn't seem to insure over $2500 as far as I can tell so that's out.  DHL seemed to be the best option at about $250 for air service, but I've never shipped DHL into Canada before.  I do prefer air service, especially for CD transports and speakers, due to the reduced handling and obviously to avoid the abuse from added ground transit time.

My experience when I take my packages in to Fedex and UPS shipping centers is that they laugh at the online calculators and the resulting charge doesn't resemble what I thought it would be.  In one case, though, I actually logged onto the Kinko's/Fedex terminal in front of the manager, printed a shipper using my own Fedex account that was 20% less than he was going to charge me.  I put it on the package and handed it to him for shipping on the spot.

Since some of you have probably dealt with these issues trying to buy stuff, can you give me any insight into what might be the best solution here, both in terms of moving it through customs smoothly, and general costs?  Is DHL service decent for you?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

DonnieW

Re: Best method of shipping gear US to Canada
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:53 am »
Remember most FedEx and UPS outlets are independently owned and operated - they set their own prices.  They WILL vary greatly.  Just because it says UPS on the store doesn't imply you're actually dealing with UPS or otherwise FedEx.  If you do go to a proper UPS or FedEx center, and assuming you did the online calc correct, the price will be the same or less without exception.

UPS Standard has long had the best and relatively cheapest solution for shipping CA <> US.  Followed closely by USPS <> CP.  However as you've observed there are limitations to insurance with USPS and they generally don't have the quickest shipping nor best tracking. 

Stay as far away as you can from any couriers that start with a "D" and end with "L".  That is, if you want your recipient to actually receive the item and not a box of bricks.

Think about it, you're dealing with a pricey item which, if not handled and insured properly, will cause both parties a lot of grief.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:59 am »
From my own experience here in Calgary, go with US Postal Service Global Priority.
UPS and Fed Ex charge outrageous fees for customs (what the hell happened to NAFTA?)

My .02

Good luck,

Warmly,
Michael

DonnieW

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:03 am »
From my own experience here in Calgary, go with US Postal Service Global Priority.
UPS and Fed Ex charge outrageous fees for customs (what the hell happened to NAFTA?)

My .02

Good luck,

Warmly,
Michael

He can't get the insurance coverage he needs - otherwise I'd second that per my post.  USPS-Canada Post uses Purolator as their courier BTW.

NAFTA has nothing to do with customs fees, rather trade (or duty) fees.  If you're referring to brokerage fees, yes they aren't the cheapest but they are by the book and that's what counts.  If not properly handled and documented by the broker you may find yourself in trouble if the item goes missing and requires replacement.  UPS is bulletproof in that regard, as is FedEx.

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:15 am »
Thanks guys.  This is great input.  At the moment my buyer is MIA :scratch: so not sure how it's going to go.  I would normally prefer USPS as well, but as mentioned the value is a problem.  Sounds like UPS (the real one, not outlets) may be the way to go here.

Martyn

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2006, 05:11 am »
There's a class action suite in the works in Canada against UPS at present - those hidden fees! If your buyer is close to the border, there may be a third-party "letterbox" nearby on the US side of the border. You ship to that address, your buyer drives across to collect the package and pays the duties and taxes on the way back. No exhorbitant brokerage or "handling" fees.

Spirit

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2006, 06:31 am »
Here is a tip that is not widely known:
As you know the courier carriers collect PST and GST on the Cdn value of the item.
However, if the package is addressed to a business name instead of a personal name they often do not collect the PST.  I noticed that with some of my own shipments.  I called UPS a few months ago and they told me that they
have no arrangement with the Ontario Provincial govt to collect PST for business packages. 

DonnieW

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2006, 12:42 pm »
There's a class action suite in the works in Canada against UPS at present - those hidden fees! If your buyer is close to the border, there may be a third-party "letterbox" nearby on the US side of the border. You ship to that address, your buyer drives across to collect the package and pays the duties and taxes on the way back. No exhorbitant brokerage or "handling" fees.

That's a joke, and quite frankly the lawsuit isn't going anywhere.  There are NO hidden fees!  They're not specified up front but are certainly available to the public via the web or by simply asking them over the phone.   Not publicizing it upfront is about the extent this will go.  I got a copy of the action from UPS in which the guy from BC claims "people are usually never told there will be an added fee until there's a knock on the door".  Ya, well he's an idiot for not asking for a total for delivery to his door.  Same applies when purchaing a new automobile among MANY other things - there are 'additional' charges you need to know about but you have to ask.  I don't work for UPS nor try to push their services, I'm just smart enough to ask the right questions so I know up front what it's going to cost me - even if UPS or others are expensive!

Canadian Customs:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

U.S. Customs:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/advisor/customs/fees.html

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:17 pm »
DonnieW,

Thanks for the UPS link.  When I used UPS online it sent me to the declaration paperwork, but didn't show the brokerage fee.  I knew there was one somewhere.  I found that shipping this to Vancouver (not sure how close he is to the border), it was about $100 insured via ground and about $300 air.  The "free" brokerage apparently offsets about one third of the difference of ground vs. air in my case.

Tom