Question about knobs for Insight+EC preamp

gregmav

Question about knobs for Insight+EC preamp
« on: 21 Jul 2012, 10:43 pm »
I am thinking about getting a Insight+EC preamp and have a question about the knobs and the possibility of replacing them.  I found a place that has knobs that look like the ones used on vintage Mark Levinson equipment from the 1970's.  My question is, does anyone know what the diameter is of the 3 larger knobs and the 2 smaller knob?  In addition does anyone know what the shaft diameters are that each knob goes on?  Lastly, are the knobs recessed into the front panel or are they flush with the front panel.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

avahifi

Re: Question about knobs for Insight+EC preamp
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2012, 02:05 am »
The knobs on AVA preamps have 1/4" shafts with two set screw each so they will work on both US 1/4" shafts and foreign 6mm shafts.  The selector switch has a 1/4" shaft, all the others have 6mm shafts.

Single set screw 1/4" knobs will wobble on 6mm shafts.

Frank Van Alstine

gregmav

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2012, 05:32 am »
Frank,

Thanks for the info.  The new knobs I am wanting to use have 2 6-32 set screws on each knob.  They also have 1/4" shaft holes.  They also vary in outside diameter from .500 inches up to .925 inches.  My other question was if anyone knew what the outside diameters are of the current larger selector, volume and balance knobs and the smaller tone control knobs.  Also are the knobs recessed into the front panel, of are they flush with the panel?  The model I am asking about is the Insight+ EC preamplifier.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2012, 11:45 am »
Large knobs are 1.250" diameter, small knobs are .750" diameter. The front panels will have clearance holes for the 1.250" and .750" knobs.

Wayner

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2012, 01:50 pm »
New AVA faceplates have recessed knobs as per Wayne's information above.

However I may still have a few of the older faceplates available that have the knobs in front of the faceplates instead of recessed. If so, then slightly larger knobs could work, as long as they do not obscure the faceplate lettering.  That would look a bit tacky.

Frank

gregmav

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2012, 10:20 pm »
Well the largest knobs I have found are only .925 in outside diameter.  I hope that doesn't look too tacky. 

gregmav

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2012, 10:26 pm »
Here is what the knobs look like.  The large one on the left is .925.  The two in the middle are .750.  The one on the right is .500.

Minn Mark

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2012, 07:41 pm »
@gregmav

I own an Insight EC preamp also, and would be greatful if you continue your story in this thread, and esp. include pictures after you install the alternate knobs.

Thanks, and good luck,

M

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2012, 08:56 pm »
Our knob supplier is:  http://www.ehcknobs.com/

Look for the control knob page and scroll down to machined aluminum ones.  They make all kinds of knobs, you might find somethere there that works for you.  Some are available in small quantities from Digi-Key, Mouser, or Allied Electronics.  Our black ones are custom made.  You have to buy abut 2000 of these at a time to have them made for you.

The .9" and .75" knobs in your photo might work but only with one of our older faceplates that did not have recessed knobs.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

gregmav

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2012, 10:07 pm »
Frank,

What is behind your knobs when you take them off?  Do you have some kind of barrier to keep things from getting inside the casing or is it just open?  As far as the recessed openings couldn't someone just slide the new knob over the shaft a certain amount and then secure it with the 2 set screws?

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2012, 11:05 pm »
The faceplate holes are for 1.25" knobs - 1.3125" in diameter, the holes for the .75" diameter knobs are .8125" in diameter. The steel chassis behind the faceplate has holes for the control shafts.

Wayner
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2012, 11:58 am by Wayner »

Listens2tubes

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2012, 12:55 am »
Is there a new T8 faceplate?

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2012, 11:59 am »
All new products have this feature.

Wayner