I am such a theater novice. . . Help. . .

Hantra

« on: 5 Jan 2003, 03:06 pm »
All:

I just bought my first decent TV last night.  It's a 16:9, and I cannot quite figure out this progressive scan stuff.  

Like when I pop in Gladiator and use progressive scan, I STILL get the bars on the picture!  My DVD is set to 16:9 and the TV will only use one format when playing progressive scan.

Is this going to be normal?  This is going to make me mad b/c of the potential for burn-in. . .

B

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2003, 07:50 pm »
What's happening is that you're playing a 2.35:1 movie on a 1.78:1 screen. So yes, you will still get black at the top & bottom of the screen when playing 2.35:1 movies.

But if you're playing 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 you won't have any black anywhere on the screen as it should strech the 1.85:1 image to fit the screen.

You'll get black bars on the sides when playing 4:3 information on it.

You'll also get black bars when playing any DVD that isn't anamorphic (16:9 enhanced). But that's not such a problem as it's mostly just older movies that aren't anamorphic.

I wouldn't worry about burning in too much. As you're not going to be burning in an image (which is what's annoying). But where you have any black on the screen it just won't wear out as fast as the rest of the screen that's getting used.

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2003, 11:28 pm »
So, how do I AVOID buying movies that are not going to be 16:9?  

What do I need to look for?

Also, will watching Fox News cause burn-in with the little graphics that are always there?

B

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2003, 11:50 pm »
You'll need to buy DVD's that say one of a few things. Unfortunately there isn't a labeling standard on DVD's.

16:9
16:9 Enhanced
Anamorhpic Widescreen
Anamorphic Video
Widescreen-Enhanced for 16:9

And so on. Just make sure it has either 16:9, Anaorphic, or Enhaced Widescreen somewhere on the package.

Will watching a news channel with ever-present graphics burn in your RPTV? Yes, but it'll take a while to do so. While the screens are much more resitant to burn in, they will still do it eventually. You're not going to be leaving it on Fox News all day (right?), so I'd bet that by the time it becomes a problem you'll either want to buy a new set, or your current one will be dieing anyway.

Hantra

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2003, 11:57 pm »
Thx Bub!

I watch mostly Fox News actually, and a movie now and then, which is why I got the RPTV in the first place.  Is the screen the actual part that will burn or the bulbs?  I have always been confused by this.  I know that people say not to play games like Playstation, or something.  But if I watch 3 hours of FNC a day, I will be okay?

Thanks again!

B

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2003, 12:14 am »
I think it's the screen that's what gets burned in, & not the color guns (it is a CRT RPTV, and not an LCD?). It's not terribly hard to replace the screen in an RPTV, and they're not that expensive.

But I don't think 3 hours of FNC a day is going to kill your screen that fast. There's commercials to break up the constant image of the news. I think RPTV burn in isn't the problem that it used to be, but is still thought to be a problem because people are used to it being a problem. Kinda like how people think screen savers are still need for computer monitors. When the truth is that current monitors don't burn in like old monitors used to, making screen savers more of an amusement now than a necessity.

Brandon B

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2003, 08:57 pm »
Quote from: bubba966
I think it's the screen that's what gets burned in, & not the color guns (it is a CRT RPTV, and not an LCD?).

Nope.  On a CRT RPTV, it's the guns that get burned.  The screen is literally just a projection screen.  The guns are actually like 3 little one color TVs with the phosphor inside them, and then a lens to project that image up onto the screen.

BB