The mounting foam, what is it?

Oborous

« on: 6 Apr 2005, 07:19 pm »
Hi All,

My continuing quest for audio nirvana is a slow and painful process.

I'm now suspending my TVC's in a 'net' of Knicker Elastic (ala Morgan Jone's suggestions in his book).

But, the mounting foam that came with the TVC's is doing me in good stead for mounting the heatsinks of my GainClone chip amp... 1"x2"x8" solid copper.  Deformation of the foam seems to be tolerable over the past few months.  Now I need more.

John, what is that foam? I've been trying to source anything similar, but obviously I'm not asking the right question because when I goto the supplier, it's not what I need.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2005, 01:06 am »
Hello!

I have used two kinda of foam.

The thicker (1/4" or 3/8") foam used in MU cans to keep the trannies snug in the enclosure is just "Heavy Duty Foam Tape Weather Stripping" from a hardware store.

The thinner stuff that has been used for tx102 clamps to make the diam fit nice and snug in the clamps is from Mcmaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com).  It is about 1/16"  thick adhesive backed rubber. I bought a life time supply a few years back so I have not got a part number handy I am afraid....

Mcmaster has everything so I am sure they have something to suit what you need. Their pricing can be a bit high but they are very handy to order from and seem to almost always have stock of stuff - quite amazing when you think of just how many products they carry.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

John

Oborous

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2005, 02:47 pm »
Quote from: John Chapman
Hello!

It is about 1/16"  thick adhesive backed rubber.

Thanks!

Now I can properly ask around for the correct item.