LP to CD and Hi Rez disc

Charles Calkins

LP to CD and Hi Rez disc
« on: 11 Aug 2011, 02:55 pm »
Hi Guys:
 I sent one of my old LP's to magalusha to have him put in on a CD. He has done this for me a few years ago. When I got them I tried to play the audio CD on my ancient CD player. It wouldn't play. It will play on a PC and an Oppo DVD/CD player. I download it to my iTunes library so I could play it through my Logitech squeeze box system. Squeeze box doesn't read it so it is not in the files. Then I went back to iTunes and made a copy of it. Now it plays in my ancient CD player.
 As far as the Hi Rez CD Mike made for me it doesn't play on anything I have. I can't even download it into iTunes. So I'm just curious what kind of a player is used to play Hi Rez CD's

Cheers
                                                      Charlie

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: LP to CD and Hi Rez disc
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:06 pm »
Cd's are not hirez.   If he did a hirez vinyl rip it would have to be to a DVD-r or he simply put files on your cd (not music ).  So well need to know that before we can troubleshoot.  CD can only hold up to 16/44 redbook music, nothing higher.

Btw, have you asked Mike?   :)

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:10 pm »
Mike ripped it to a DVD-R  176.4K/24 bit. All Greek to me. Now can you tell me what player will play this?

Cheers
                                                             Charlie

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:52 pm »
Charles, since it's a DVD then of course it won't play in a standard cd player.  Is this DVD a collection of files, if so what format?  If not, is it an authored DVD with menu and song titles?  And why did you have Mike rip it to 24/176 if you have nothing that will play that high?  Tell us what players (software and hardware) you own....

My guess is that it is a DVD-r with flac or wav files and Mike wants you to download them onto your computer and play them in iTunes (once converted from flac if that's the format).  My recommendation is talk to Mike about what he sent you, cuz this back and forth guessing might be frustrating to you.

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:09 pm »
Could have burned >16bit/44.1khz FLACs to a CD and played it back with a program like Foobar...directly off of the CD.

-Jim

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:21 pm »
Could have burned >16bit/44.1khz FLACs to a CD and played it back with a program like Foobar...directly off of the CD.

-Jim
Who could have?  If you have hirez 24/176 why dumb it down it 16/44?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:24 pm »
Charles, since it's a DVD then of course it won't play in a standard cd player.  Is this DVD a collection of files, if so what format?  If not, is it an authored DVD with menu and song titles?  And why did you have Mike rip it to 24/176 if you have nothing that will play that high?  Tell us what players (software and hardware) you own....

My guess is that it is a DVD-r with flac or wav files and Mike wants you to download them onto your computer and play them in iTunes (once converted from flac if that's the format).  My recommendation is talk to Mike about what he sent you, cuz this back and forth guessing might be frustrating to you.

Not frustrating to me I'm not into the high Rez stuff. Just curious. I didn't ask  Mike to do this. Just a bonus for me.

Cheers
                                                           Charlie

JDUBS

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:27 pm »
Who could have?  If you have hirez 24/176 why dumb it down it 16/44?

Not me...but then again, I didn't mentioned downsampling.  You (the general, "you"), could put >16/44.1 (i.e. greater than 16/44.1) flac files on a CD and then play them back in foobar.

-Jim

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:29 pm »
Charles, ok great, so at some point tell us what stuff you have to play stuff on and well tell you the easiest and best ways to play.  The hirez vinyl rip will sound great if you can find a way to play it at full resolution, which may be the oppo model you have, dunno yet.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:38 pm »
Charles, ok great, so at some point tell us what stuff you have to play stuff on and well tell you the easiest and best ways to play.  The hirez vinyl rip will sound great if you can find a way to play it at full resolution, which may be the oppo model you have, dunno yet.

Will not play on the Oppo. If I have to download a bunch of techie stuff in order to get this to play on my main audio system that leaves me out. If I try I know I'll screw things up so bad the PC would wind up in the round file.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:49 pm »
Charles, I am going to bow out.  I am somehow flummoxed here.  Now you say it won't play on the Oppo, yet your first post, asking for help, said specifically that it DOES.  I can't help what I don't know.  I've asked for players and model numbers, but you are now saying if you have to do anything techy you are out.  Sorry.  If you want to try later we are always here.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2011, 05:51 pm »
Charles, I am going to bow out.  I am somehow flummoxed here.  Now you say it won't play on the Oppo, yet your first post, asking for help, said specifically that it DOES.  I can't help what I don't know.  I've asked for players and model numbers, but you are now saying if you have to do anything techy you are out.  Sorry.  If you want to try later we are always here.

Ted:
   The CD audio that Mike did for me plays on my Oppo. It plays on my PC and Laptop. It will not play on my ancient CD player The Hi Rez DVD-R will not play on anything I have. I'm just curious as to what it would take to get the Hi Rez  to play on anything. PC,Laptop,Oppo. Those are what I have.

Cheers
                                               Charlie

JDUBS

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:06 pm »
What did Mike say when you asked him?

As creator of the disc, he is (obviously) your primary resource.

-Jim

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:10 pm »
Charles,

I did the AD conversion at 24 bit 176.4 KHz so that the downsample to CD would be an even number conversion, no floating point.

The audio CD is just that, standard redbook CD audio, 16/44.1. You should be able rip or import it with iTunes just like any other audio CD.

I included the high resolution files just so Charles would have them in case he had a high res capable dac in the future. They WILL NOT play on the Squeezebox without resampling to 96khz or below. The DVD is just a data disk with .flac files on it. The DVD will not play as a music disc on any player that I'm aware of. Assuming you have a FLAC player on your PC and the sound card supports it, you will be able to play the files. If you had a streaming player that would support high resolution audio you could play them on that.

If for some reason you can't import the audio CD, which I can't imagine since it plays in the computer, I would be happy to generate lower res files and burn them to a data CD.

Charles, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Mike

terrycym

« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:37 pm »
  Will not play on the Oppo. If I have to download a bunch of techie stuff in order to get this to play on my main audio system that leaves me out. If I try I know I'll screw things up so bad the PC would wind up in the round file.

Try Minnetonka discWelder or Cirlinca Solo and the high res files to create a DVD-A,  the resultant DVD-A disc will the play on your Oppo, it works for me.

More information here...
http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-dvd-audio.aspx

Charles Calkins

« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:45 pm »
Mike:
 I did import the audio to my iTunes and burned a disc and it does play on my ancient CD player. After I imported the audio CD to iTunes I rescanned squeeze box but squeeze box can't find it so it is not in that library.
 I don't think I'll be getting a Hi Res DAC any time soon. I bought a Vision Hybrid DAC from Van Alstine and I'm very impressed with I hear now.

Thanks
                                                          Charlie

srb

« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:15 pm »
I don't think I'll be getting a Hi Res DAC any time soon. I bought a Vision Hybrid DAC from Van Alstine and I'm very impressed with I hear now.

I was under the impression that the Vision DAC was a high resolution 24/192 DAC.

Steve

Charles Calkins

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:32 pm »

I was under the impression that the Vision DAC was a high resolution 24/192 DAC.

Steve

Steve:
  Wouldn't I have to get some kind of gizmo like the M2tech HiFi interface for the DAC to work in Hi Res?

Cheers
                                                                  Charlie

WC

« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:33 am »
What kind of computer do you have? To use that DAC your computer will need a S/PDIF connection or a USB to S/PDIF connection to get 24/196 files to play.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:00 am »
What kind of computer do you have? To use that DAC your computer will need a S/PDIF connection or a USB to S/PDIF connection to get 24/196 files to play.

My gateway laptop has USB connection. The M2tech interface is USB connection to the Laptop and a digital SPDIF to my DAC. The DAC has two SPDIF inputs and two Toslink inputs. The m2tech will probably be here tomorrow. All my tunes are in iTunes. Probably won't hear any difference. But until I give it a try I'll never know.
 Every time I go to an Audio show there are never any CD players. All Laptops. They have been getting some real fine sounding music out of their systems. I probably won't. Just another toy to play with. Little Boys. Little toys. Big(Us)boys big toys. Now ain't that something!!

Cheers
                                                        Charlie