Designing a Phono Preamp - Part IX: The Product is almost ready!

Audiovista

The board assembly goes through preliminary tests - we need to confirm functionality and try to measure specifications. This proves to be a challenge, as our equipment cannot measure such a low distortion and RIAA accuracy is better than that of our wide range voltmeter. As mentioned before, lacking several tens of thousands of Dollars for Audio Precision equipment, we will need to work on developing alternate methods of distortion measurements (such as "distortion amplification", etc.). In the mean time, reported numbers will show limitations of available equipment (THD) and results of simulation analysis (RIAA accuracy).

Several units are built, put into boxes and run over several weeks without being turned off - this is to confirm robustness and see if I can hear effects of burn-in ..... I'm sorry to report that I could not hear it.... maybe if I compare a brand new unit with one with couple hundred hours on it....

WGH

Nice series of articles.
Have you considered sending a couple of units "on tour" to AC members?

Wayne

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Been following the thread with interest nice to see things are getting closer to finished product

ED

cryoparts

Hey Boris,

Any idea on the projected price yet?

Lee

Audiovista

Thanks for following the series guys  :thumb: - I'm glad I did not spend time for nothing  :green:

An official tour was not planned, however, few AC fellows volunteered to spend some time with the preamp.

There are some exciting news in the works, hopefully they will see the light of the day within a week or so.

One of the things left for me to finalize is the pricing. One thing is sure - this product will continue on the path set by i84 and i34 amplifiers - modest looks, top-notch performance and very reasonable price.

Boris

cryoparts

Let me know the price as soon as you know, I think I will pick one up.  Your prior work leads me to believe that this item will be quite good.  You've got some skillz!   :thumb:

I haven't read the whole series (sorry!), is it suitable for MC and MM ouput levels?

Peace,

Lee

Thanks for following the series guys  :thumb: - I'm glad I did not spend time for nothing  :green:

An official tour was not planned, however, few AC fellows volunteered to spend some time with the preamp.

There are some exciting news in the works, hopefully they will see the light of the day within a week or so.

One of the things left for me to finalize is the pricing. One thing is sure - this product will continue on the path set by i84 and i34 amplifiers - modest looks, top-notch performance and very reasonable price.

Boris

Audiovista

... is it suitable for MC and MM ouput levels?

Lee, you are way too kind!

The preamp will be built to order as MM or MC. I opted against switches which add noise, distortion and long signal paths. The only option, internally available, is bypassing passive RIAA to use the preamp with software based RIAA compensation.

Best,
Boris