Well Tempered Classic, from the 90's

daveyonthecoast

Well Tempered Classic, from the 90's
« on: 21 Mar 2016, 10:00 am »
Hello friends,
I own two Well Tempered Turntables, from the 90's!!
1. A Classic, with Classic Arm, with a Marigo Audio, cup clamp!!
2. A Reference, with Reference arm, I was never happy with, could not get the dampening right, had to wait 5 minutes, for the arm to settle, at LP, height, to play with out skipping, I done everthing to make the arm drop at a steady speed, but no way!!
3. I have moved unit, and am now, using the classic, with marigo cup clamp, the silcon is balanced, with the drop weight!!
4. Whils't moving into my new unit, I slipped on the stairs, when carrying, the reference, with a Dynavector 17D3, attached, and broke, some corners, of the Reference, and came apart between the four layer's, not to mention I had to be rushed to hospital, to have eleven staples inserted in my head!!
5. The good news, is my classic, is still in my system, with the marigo arm cup, am quite happy with the sound!!
6. A friend of mine owns a company called "once analog" he builds his own turntables, and reccomends, different arms for his TT, one is "the wand' made in NZ, he has looked at my broken reference, and tells me he can repair!!
Friends, I wish to keep the well tempered classic arm!!, as it is set up right!!, the reference arm is a bit of a hassel, it now has torn fishing line, no silcon, etc, It was a bitch, to set up and did not set right!!
What I need to know, will my well tempered classic arm, fit the new refurbish well tempered reference??, the TT, hole is still in the right place??
The well tempered reference, spinle, is fine, as is the platter, and the, clamp, all I wan't to do is change the arm!!
If any one out there, here of the Larry pederson, arm, marigo platter, and marigo feet, I will be intersted
I know, all this is a big ask, but because of one accident, The things that can go wrong!!, I don't wish to repeat myself, but the biggest thing, is will my classic arm fit the Reference!!
Many Thanks
David Spry

beta14ok

Re: Well Tempered Classic, from the 90's
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2016, 01:12 am »
Bummer of a story.

I don't own a reference...........but if I did, I'd measure the geometry of the table in relation to the arm on both ....table spindle to arm platform post/bolt. If it is the same on both the Reference ad the Classic then probably you have your best answer. Remember, that the platform may need to be rotated to adjust the overhang as described by ACHiPo's thread .
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2016, 02:29 am by beta14ok »

beta14ok

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2016, 07:58 pm »
On reflection.................

Do you know what you hope to achieve sonically with the Reference vs the WTT Classic?

If I was you, I'd put the WTT classic w/ arm on a super stable vibration proof shelf/stand. Then mount a cartridge that is chosen to be compliance matched to the arm and is output/impedance matched to your pre-amp. Make sure that everything is well aligned, connected, and adjusted to best specification as described in this AudioCircle, and then .............sit back and enjoy some tunes.

If I was you, I'd sell the remaining Reference parts on your favorite online auction site and call it done.

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2016, 10:36 pm »
That's a very sound suggestion, beta.
Here here.
Mine, and several others I pm with, would say to shuck the whole shebang and take the money and buy a new Amadeus. You'd have a far better table musically and have dealer support, which you seem to need.
Good luck down there....

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2016, 06:13 am »
Yes I agree with Beta and Threadkiller. Best option IMO is, if funds permit, sell the Classic and Reference and buy an Amadeus or Versalex. These latest decks are great value for money and simply better sounding.....

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2016, 08:24 pm »
"Whils't moving into my new unit, I slipped on the stairs, when carrying, the reference, with a Dynavector 17D3, attached, and broke, some corners, of the Reference, and came apart between the four layer's, not to mention I had to be rushed to hospital, to have eleven staples inserted in my head!!"
Heal quickly and eat well David

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2016, 09:05 am »
 :o Heal quickly and eat well David