Have you changed you favourite music genre when you got older?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: Have you changed you favourite music genre when you got older?
« Reply #40 on: 22 Aug 2011, 07:10 pm »
I simply enjoy music.

My core music genre is Gothic and I am very fortunate that this encompasses quite an eclectic mix of musical styles. I also enjoy groups such as Rush and a few other artists/songs that are simply beautiful and timeless. So I would say that my music genre has not changed over the years.

Here are a couple examples of what I consider as timeless music - truly beautiful and most profound lyrics.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIDLdgeP9Bw  All you have to do is look at our cities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzJY96m3lkg Perhaps deep down, this is what we are all desperately searching for.

Great topic  :D

Be well...

1oldguy

« Reply #41 on: 22 Aug 2011, 07:27 pm »
When I started playing guitar I would mainly focus on guitar driven music.
Lately I find myself going in the direction that the song...not just guitar laden stuff...is where I go to.
I guess you could say I'm more balanced in my tastes than ever.
But there will never be any rap,hip hop music in my life,only what I can't avoid.

neekomax

« Reply #42 on: 22 Aug 2011, 07:46 pm »
Where are our hip hop audiophiles at? :lol:

Man, that genre is really taking a beating on this thread. Must be something about the um, <cough> demographic of folks into hifi.

It's not all annoying and simplistic with zero nuance, actually. There's some good stuff out there. PM me for recommendations (not holding my breath :)).

srb

« Reply #43 on: 22 Aug 2011, 07:53 pm »
It's not all annoying and simplistic with zero nuance, actually

Yes.  It is.

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #44 on: 22 Aug 2011, 08:00 pm »
Where are our hip hop audiophiles at? :lol:

Man, that genre is really taking a beating on this thread. Must be something about the um, <cough> demographic of folks into hifi.

It's not all annoying and simplistic with zero nuance, actually. There's some good stuff out there. PM me for recommendations (not holding my breath :)).

No Offense meant to anyone who enjoys it...........This a personal decision for me and my tastes.
Actually I'm pleased that I don't follow the mass trends of what most people consider good music
by today's standard.They don't call me 1Oldguy for nothing. :thumb: It's taken me years to become this disgruntled.

But for the record it takes:Peace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMfN0UFqms

neekomax

« Reply #45 on: 22 Aug 2011, 08:21 pm »

Yes.  It is.

Steve

If I were to say that all jazz was annoying, overly complicated and dissonant (a common critique, but not one that I espouse, btw), you might say, well but you haven't heard 'x' or 'y'. Or you might say, you have to educate yourself about the style first, it's a very rich and varied genre. And you'd be right either way.

Therefore, I need not even say it in this case.

There's an exception to every rule. Usually many. 

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #46 on: 22 Aug 2011, 09:13 pm »
There are all kinds of periods in both Jazz and Classical music.

From a Classical standpoint, I pretty much don't listen to anything before Beethoven.  Beethoven's 5th symphony introduced the modern trombone to the Symphony orchestra.    I also listen to very little Wagner.   I do listen to a lot of:

Beethoven, Dvorak, Holst, Mussorsky, Ravel, Prokofieff, Rimsky-Korsakov, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky, Berlioz, Respighi and Bartok.

For Jazz, I like the late 40's to the late 60's with select works from the 70's and later.  I'm not a big Fusion fan.  I do have most of Maynard Ferguson's works from the early 60's till around 1980.   The hardest of those to find are probably "The Blues Roar" and "Ridin' High".

Jazz, Classical and Rock are huge umbrellas with all kinds of music under the big tent.

HsvHeelFan

PRELUDE

« Reply #47 on: 22 Aug 2011, 09:49 pm »
I am thinking about put something in my will also.But I do not know if it will ever happen.It is becoming harder to trust anyone any more. :lol:
I want to make a list of all my favorite songs that I enjoyed during my life time,then someone has to put them in the playlist of my ipod push the play and put the headphones on my ears then bury me.
The ipod will play all my favorite songs till battery dies like me. :thumb:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #48 on: 23 Aug 2011, 03:33 am »
Yes.  It is.
Steve

No. It isn't.

Permit me to -ahem- represent...
I knew eventually that this thread would end up here. These threads always do. Hip-hop: the generational line in the sand... If you don't want to listen to it, you can, as Frank Zappa used to say, choose not to be a consumer of it. Fine and dandy - I suspect Hova will get by without your contribution just fine. There is no denying, however that there must be something to a genre which has been growing in popularity for over 30 years worldwide and is the biggest-selling popular music genre. And before someone burps up the standard " Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good" retort, stop and consider this: Is that really going to sound any better coming out of you than it sounds when a classical music aficionado dumps all over beebop or when a jazzbo goes all highbrow on a rocker or when a rocker craps all over country and so on and so on.
Thus has it ever been. Thus shall it ever be?
I enjoy hip-hop. It is a hugely varied genre with something for everyone who is interested. Not interested? OK. But if you're one of those who have pulled the covers over your head and aren't coming out until that hip-hop fad blows over, I hope you took a sandwich in there with you.
Maybe some of you gearheads are just afraid to find out that your systems don't do low-end as well as you think they do... :peek:  :green:

Neeko - feel free to PM me anytime with some of your favorites. Some of the stuff I currently enjoy: The Roots, Outkast, K'naan, Michael Franti, A Tribe Called Quest, Kanye, maybe even a little Hova now and then.  Also interested in sharing your suggestions/opinions on any urban music. Or the late Beethoven string quartets. Or Swedish death metal. Or your favorite Merle Haggard album. It's all good.

Guess I'd better just answer the original question already : Since my earliest childhood musical memory was being absolutely held in thrall by Burle Ives Live At The Royal Albert Hall, yeah, I guess my favorite musical genre has changed as I got older...but I still know all the words to "The Blue-Bottle Fly" . Jimmy crack corn and I don't care...

D.D.

bummrush

« Reply #49 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:04 am »
No

neekomax

« Reply #50 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:46 am »
But if you're one of those who have pulled the covers over your head and aren't coming out until that hip-hop fad blows over, I hope you took a sandwich in there with you.

:rotflmao: Oh man, that's funny.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #51 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:16 am »
If I get to a nursing home and someone pulls out rap, someone is going to die.   :evil:

My taste in music has expanded in 40 years, but I have my limits.

1oldguy

« Reply #52 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:41 am »
If I get to a nursing home and someone pulls out rap, someone is going to die.   :evil:

My taste in music has expanded in 40 years, but I have my limits.

Now that's quote of the day material.

As for the way I feel about it personally.....I would if possible,take the genre,Rap and hip hop,put it in a bag,tie a rope around it and connect it to a very large rock,bring it out to sea,and dump it in the deepest part of the ocean.

What ever happened to Melody as no Less than Les Paul use to say.I would have to agree with that.

The opinions express here are my own and are not meant to change anybody's views,hurt any animals,or cause political upheaval. :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_wFEB4Oxlo&feature=related

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #53 on: 23 Aug 2011, 02:08 pm »

I've been doing some work in a big nursing home recently and every radio in the place was turned to a CHR station because that's what the staff listen to.
Better order your Quietus kit now and beat the rush... :wink:

D.D.

jjc1

« Reply #54 on: 23 Aug 2011, 06:10 pm »
I'm a huge Dave Brubeck fan.  He's been to Huntsville twice and performed with the Symphony and Mass choir.

The first time, in the mid 80's, the lineup was:

Dave Brubeck - piano
Bob Militello - sax
Chris Brubeck - bass and trombone
Randy Jones - drums
Russell Gloyd - conductor.

The second visit was probably in the early to mid 90's.  We performed his "To Hope" work.  That lineup was:

Dave Brubeck - piano
Bill Smith - clarinet
Jack Six - bass
Randy Jones - drums
Russell Gloyd - conductor

Both were great concerts to a sold out house.  Both lineups were gracious and didn't mind talking to the orchestra musicians during the break and after rehearsal.  A lot of guest artists aren't that way.

There were 4 albums that I remember from when I was 3 or 4 years old that were the center of my musical upbringing.  These were:

Miles David - Kind of Blue

Dave Brubeck - Live at the '58 Newport Jazz festival

Oscar Peterson - Swingin' Brass with the Oscar Peterson trio - with the Russ Garcia big band

Beethoven's 5th and 6th Symphony's -  CBS Symphony conducted by Bruno Walter.

Personally, I thought Paul Desmond was the best musician of the Brubeck quartet.  He played so smoothly and he always knew where he was going, musically, when playing.

I like the rhythmic complexity of Brubeck's compositions.

Comparing piano players, it's no contest for me.  I like Oscar Peterson's piano playing better.    There are very few piano players, anywhere that had the chops of Mr. Peterson. 

HsvHeelFan
  My first experience with Brubeck in 1960
  Brubeck...Piano

Desmond...Alto

Eugene Wright...Bass

A concert at Georgetown University

Joe Morello...Drums

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #55 on: 23 Aug 2011, 06:29 pm »
Joe Morello passed away earlier this year. He was a very underrated drummer.

I always enjoyed his creativity.  Paul Desmond was just so smooooth.

HsvHeelFan

jjc1

« Reply #56 on: 23 Aug 2011, 07:31 pm »
Joe Morello passed away earlier this year. He was a very underrated drummer.

I always enjoyed his creativity.  Paul Desmond was just so smooooth.

HsvHeelFan
  Joe Morello played with Marion McPartland for a while . There is an album with them recorded live at ShangHai Jazz,a local Jazz club/Chinese restaurant in Mdison N.J. Name of album is appropriately "Marion McPartland at ShangHai Jazz".
 And yes, Desmond was the best!

PRELUDE

VOLKS

« Reply #58 on: 25 Aug 2011, 06:56 am »
No ...........Rock&Roll is still my fav,but  I did not like Rap/Hip Hop/Break Dance music when I was a kid and now as an adult I despise it with a passion equal to the sickening feeling one would feel when you hear the words "Flesh Eating Disease" .....so yes my music taste has evolved forward :thumb:

1oldguy

« Reply #59 on: 25 Aug 2011, 11:40 am »
No ...........Rock&Roll is still my fav,but  I did not like Rap/Hip Hop/Break Dance music when I was a kid and now as an adult I despise it with a passion equal to the sickening feeling one would feel when you hear the words "Flesh Eating Disease" .....so yes my music taste has evolved forward :thumb:

I remember when Rap/hip hop was first starting,I was in my teens...........Even then I realized it went against all the criteria that music should be.
I always felt angry when I would be subjected to it.And lets face it.....the goal of rap isn't to make you feel good and relax and sooth you....It to get you to feel upset,it a street music for people who demand change or the hell with you kinda vibe.So no....Rap and all that goes with it goes against everything I want music to be.
And no it wasn't  because of the gear I had.....I hate rap/hip hop/ on a deep a level as I am capable of hating anything.It's a music that represents the times/the angry.With all life pressures I want to feel good and refreshed not pissed when I listen to my system.

But once again this is how I see it,and clearly I'm not the only one who has a sour taste for garbage.