Bryston SP 1.7 LFE channel weak

donny619

Bryston SP 1.7 LFE channel weak
« on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:37 pm »
Hi guys,
I was part of that city wide San Diego blackout with had last Thursday. My equipment seemed fine after the blackout (SP 1.7, 9B-SSET, 4B-ST, BDA-1). However, upon firing up a movie over the weekend, I noticed that my subwoofer was very weak compared to how it was prior.

I went through retracing my steps of reconfiguring because I thought the blackout wiped my settings:
 1) Checked the XBASS- Yes, Fronts-Large
 2) Checked the Bypass (Code 060)
 3) Subwoofer level

Check, check, check. All settings looked normal and did not like they were lost due to the power outage.

I must be missing something but I can't figure out or remember what it is. I've toggled and retoggled every setting that has to due with the LFE channel and I cannot seem to fix the issue. The subwoofer output during "TEST" but a lot weaker than I remember. When I'm watching TV or popping in a movie, I have to turn it way up before the subwoofer automatically turn on (receive a signal). And even then, I am way over my normal volume level.

During my initial set up years ago, as I recall, it is currently acting as if XBASS is OFF even though it's toggled as ON. My room is rather large so I need the XBASS setting because without it, even max sub level is not enough =/

I looked a FACTORY reset code but noticed that there wasn't any for the SP1.7. I figured to try a factory reset and start from scratch if there was such a setting. I even put the subwoofer on another receiver just to check that it wasn't the problem and it checked out fine. Any assistance would be appreciated.

brucek

Re: Bryston SP 1.7 LFE channel weak
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2011, 05:34 pm »
Restore Factory Defaults code for SP 1.7 is 254.

Have you checked the BLPM setting hasn't dropped? (I think the SP 1.7 has that setting)

SoundGame

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2011, 07:06 pm »
Hi guys,
I was part of that city wide San Diego blackout with had last Thursday. My equipment seemed fine after the blackout (SP 1.7, 9B-SSET, 4B-ST, BDA-1). However, upon firing up a movie over the weekend, I noticed that my subwoofer was very weak compared to how it was prior.

I went through retracing my steps of reconfiguring because I thought the blackout wiped my settings:
 1) Checked the XBASS- Yes, Fronts-Large
 2) Checked the Bypass (Code 060)
 3) Subwoofer level

Check, check, check. All settings looked normal and did not like they were lost due to the power outage.

I must be missing something but I can't figure out or remember what it is. I've toggled and retoggled every setting that has to due with the LFE channel and I cannot seem to fix the issue. The subwoofer output during "TEST" but a lot weaker than I remember. When I'm watching TV or popping in a movie, I have to turn it way up before the subwoofer automatically turn on (receive a signal). And even then, I am way over my normal volume level.

During my initial set up years ago, as I recall, it is currently acting as if XBASS is OFF even though it's toggled as ON. My room is rather large so I need the XBASS setting because without it, even max sub level is not enough =/

I looked a FACTORY reset code but noticed that there wasn't any for the SP1.7. I figured to try a factory reset and start from scratch if there was such a setting. I even put the subwoofer on another receiver just to check that it wasn't the problem and it checked out fine. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Have you checked that the subwoofer amplifier / electronics was not damaged itself?  If you turn the volume control up directly on the subwoofer - does that help to address the issue.  You still need to localize the issue.

donny619

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2011, 07:42 pm »
Yes I have and it's at the same level I had it before. I will double check though.

Restore Factory Defaults code for SP 1.7 is 254.

Have you checked the BLPM setting hasn't dropped? (I think the SP 1.7 has that setting)

donny619

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2011, 07:43 pm »
Yes, I put the sub on another receiver and it seems fine.

Have you checked that the subwoofer amplifier / electronics was not damaged itself?  If you turn the volume control up directly on the subwoofer - does that help to address the issue.  You still need to localize the issue.

SoundGame

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2011, 04:20 pm »
Perhaps it's time to call Bryston then.