Bryston Remote, YEAH!!!!!!

jaxwired

Bryston Remote, YEAH!!!!!!
« on: 13 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm »
OK, I've been complaining about the dismal bryston remote situation for years.  I hate the BR2 for operating a BP6 or BP26 because it's so bulky and un-ergonomic with all buttons the same size in a completely symmetrical layout.  PLUS, my biggest gripe with the BR2 for these preamps is that I only use 3 buttons, volume up/down and mute.  All other buttons are useless.  Bryston used to make a very nice 3 button remote for these preamps, but stopped making them years ago and they are very difficult to acquire anymore (believe me, I've tried).  So...what to do....well, I finally found a guy that will make a custom aluminum remote for these Bryston preamps.  This remote is small, well made, elegant, and matches the Bryston preamp finish well. Plus it has just 3 buttons!  Pictures below.  Operates my BP6 perfectly.  The guy that makes these is named Curt and also sells other audiophile products he builds.  He is a great guy and great to deal with.  Below is a link to these remotes on ebay for anyone else interested.  (special thanks to BrystonTony for loaning me a BR2 to get the codes in this remote correct!).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Control-for-Bryston-BP6-Preamplifier-Brushed-Aluminum-/191920960887?hash=item2caf617577:g:AX4AAOSww9VXhWl5

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Bryston Remote, YEAH!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2016, 03:02 pm »
What's the weight of it? I've got an old B60 with the huge chunky remote... I feel like I could fight off a home invader with this thing. Weighs in at 261g on my postage scale.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2016, 03:13 pm »
That's a slick remote, well done.

I love the heft of my BR2 remote -- then I know that when (not if) I drop it on the floor, it will still work (and it has!).

...and it controls all of my front-end Bryston gear. BDA, BCD, BDP, BP17.  :thumb:

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2016, 04:36 pm »
Now that's one handsome remote! I wonder what's the cost..

Btw.. Anyone know the code for BP26 on the br2? My battery died and it lost all the memory...
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2016, 06:22 pm by amblin »

95Dyna

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2016, 07:22 pm »
Geez, that's over $53.00 a button.  The BR2 is a much better buy at little over $11.00 a button.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2016, 07:26 pm »
Now that's one handsome remote! I wonder what's the cost..

Btw.. Anyone know the code for BP26 on the br2? My battery died and it lost all the memory...

http://bryston.com/products/other/BR2.html

james

Frobozky

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2016, 10:36 pm »
Jaxwired,

Will the one shown in your URL also work for the BP26?

-Mike

techguy0192

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2016, 12:30 am »
If this works with the BP26, I too would love to have one.  I wish Bryston still made a simple remote that wasn't $400.  No offense to Bryston.

zoom25

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:15 am »
I'd be fine with a cheap plastic remote to work with the BDP-1. Just to control the basic functions. Apple Remote even...

I have so many cheap devices under $100 that all came with remote and have very good functionality. A remote like that shouldn't be more than $20-$30. The ones that came with Marantz looked nice and worked with multiple devices: CD players and amps.

How is the Bryston remote $400!? Somebody please justify that to me. I might very well have a poor understanding of all the factors involved, so I'm all ears.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2016, 11:25 am »
How is the Bryston remote $400!? Somebody please justify that to me. I might very well have a poor understanding of all the factors involved, so I'm all ears.

North American labor and profit margins from dealers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2016, 12:02 pm »
Most of the cost in the $375 dollar Bryston remote is the aluminium case - guts are not really that expensive.  In order to do a plastic case you have to purchase thousands - we are looking at alternatives but so far no luck.

james

zoom25

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2016, 03:37 pm »
North American labor and profit margins from dealers.

Even then, that's ridiculous. Also, I understand having dealers and showrooms for audio equipment to try out, but a remote is something that Bryston should sell straight to the customers. There is no need for an audition.

Most of the cost in the $375 dollar Bryston remote is the aluminium case - guts are not really that expensive.  In order to do a plastic case you have to purchase thousands - we are looking at alternatives but so far no luck.

james

That makes sense about the plastics. Although you would know the best about how many customers would purchase a plastic remote if it came for cheap. I suspect a few thousand would go quite fast with the current base. I really hope I can look forward to a cheap remote. I would rather spend money on audio upgrades.

With Roon's near limitless shuffle and automatic play features, the remote would be excellent. Just select a song initially from a graphic device and then just the remote to skip tracks while walking around or doing anything else.

Marius

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2016, 05:48 pm »

With Roon's near limitless shuffle and automatic play features, the remote would be excellent. Just select a song initially from a graphic device and then just the remote to skip tracks while walking around or doing anything else.

Isn't that what the App is for....? Can even control volume.
Cheers,
Marius

rmurray

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2016, 06:05 pm »
 I have always appreciated the machined metal of both my Bryston remotes. When I pick one up the the solid feel reminds me of how well built their components are.....feel fuzzy inside :P  . Dear Mr Bryston please do not abandon your good work ; they're worth the price . Plasic will always seem cheap no matter how well done it is.....IMO :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2016, 06:06 pm »

Isn't that what the App is for....? Can even control volume.
Cheers,
Marius

Yes, I have the App for iOS on my iPhone and iPad, but still prefer a tactile remote. I have memorized all my remotes in the house and can operate any device subconsciously without seeing the remote or thinking about it. Haven't been able to do that with any other App devices. Plus, I hate having the phone on me at all times. Firstworldproblems.

BrysTony

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jul 2016, 11:47 am »
  (special thanks to BrystonTony for loaning me a BR2 to get the codes in this remote correct!).

Glad I could help.  Enjoy the new 4B3.

Tony

bummrush

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2016, 05:04 pm »
Val Alstine,,,,,Coda other tha the learning remote then have a cheap black plasic remote.Basicly any configuration. Val Alstine,haslike 3 buttons Mine when i got a coda preamp ,like $30.00.Im sure other companies use this almost same remote. Im looking for value. I understand heft and metal,but god dang Bryston and others, some not all fancy heavy. Im probably nit picking and i dont own any Bryson, but i expect better.Get a 30 dollar remote and give $370 to your fav charity.

Pundamilia

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2016, 02:16 am »
@RMurray: Have you ever seen/felt the old BP25 remote? I'm afraid to take mine out of my house for fear that I might be charged with carrying a deadly weapon.  :lol:

SFOX

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2016, 04:15 am »
james

could you do a remote with a thick-walled plastic case with same dimensions as BR-2 using the circuit board/buttons/membrane from BR-2 ?

single cavity injection mould using premium high-density plastic material with textured surface  :thumb:

steven

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2016, 10:12 am »
james

could you do a remote with a thick-walled plastic case with same dimensions as BR-2 using the circuit board/buttons/membrane from BR-2 ?

single cavity injection mould using premium high-density plastic material with textured surface  :thumb:

steven

Hi Steven

Yes we have looked at that and they literally want many thousands of units ordered - not workable in a small company. I think the best option for those that do not want ti use the Bryston remote is to buy a learning remote and download the codes.

james