7BSST2 Power Cord

Fullvolume

7BSST2 Power Cord
« on: 4 Sep 2015, 08:27 am »
What is the awg of the factory power cord?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 7BSST2 Power Cord
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2015, 11:19 am »
What is the awg of the factory power cord?

Hi

Markd51

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2015, 07:13 pm »
If that's true James, then the 2 Cords I got with my pair of 7BSST2 Amps just a few months back were the wrong Cords packed with the Amps.  Both my Cords clearly say 14 AWG on them.

I thought maybe they were possibly downgraded at some more recent point, as I do recall a review of these Squared Amps, and it was stated they were 12 AWG.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2015, 07:23 pm »
If that's true James, then the 2 Cords I got with my pair of 7BSST2 Amps just a few months back were the wrong Cords packed with the Amps.  Both my Cords clearly say 14 AWG on them.

I thought maybe they were possibly downgraded at some more recent point, as I do recall a review of these Squared Amps, and it was stated they were 12 AWG.

I may be wrong - I will check.

james

OK I was part right - we use to sell a 20 amp version of the 7B's which used a 12 gauge but currently we use a 14 Gauge on the 7B's as only sell a 15 amp version now.

james

Markd51

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2015, 04:02 pm »
Thanks James for the clarification, and reasons as to such.

Not sure what improvement a run of the mill ubiquitous 12ga power cord would offer versus the stock 14ga cables that come with these Amps, perhaps some, and perhaps none?  Would assume Bryston's Engineers would of course not ship such powerhouse Amps with an inadequate power cord, then have customers burning their houses down.  Not sure what comes with the 28BSST2 Flagship Monoblocks? Impertinent to this thread of course.

Still, I think such Amps should deserve and be lavishly treated to better Power Cords. And it's probably assumed by many manufacturers who sell such equipment that those that can afford such a pair of state of the art Amplifiers should also be able to afford a better Power Cord(s) of choice as well.

Thus, just earlier, I have ordered a pair of Niangua 9ga Power Cords in 5' lengths from Osage Audio. They should compliment these 7BSST2 Amps I have quite nicely!
Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2015, 04:24 pm »
Thanks James for the clarification, and reasons as to such.

Not sure what improvement a run of the mill ubiquitous 12ga power cord would offer versus the stock 14ga cables that come with these Amps, perhaps some, and perhaps none?  Would assume Bryston's Engineers would of course not ship such powerhouse Amps with an inadequate power cord, then have customers burning their houses down.  Not sure what comes with the 28BSST2 Flagship Monoblocks? Impertinent to this thread of course.

Still, I think such Amps should deserve and be lavishly treated to better Power Cords. And it's probably assumed by many manufacturers who sell such equipment that those that can afford such a pair of state of the art Amplifiers should also be able to afford a better Power Cord(s) of choice as well.

Thus, just earlier, I have ordered a pair of Niangua 9ga Power Cords in 5' lengths from Osage Audio. They should compliment these 7BSST2 Amps I have quite nicely!
Mark

Ok please let me know what you think with the new cords.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2015, 11:44 am »
I'm not sure about the whole power cord upgrade philosophy and where it makes the most sense to start adding them but I am about to test it over the next 2 or 3 months. The cords will either be 2.5 meter Shunyata Sigma HC's for my 28B-SST2's if I can get my hands on them (currently working with Shunyata and my lcoal non Shunyata dealer to get a pair to demo). If this doesn't work out I'll be getting 2.5 meter Siltech Ruby Hill II's instead. The Shunyata Sigma HC's are massive at 6 AWG aggergate and their tech has power conditioning built in. I'm not sure what the Ruby Hill's are, Siltech will not disclose the AWG szie. Given the girth of the cable I suspect it's either 10 AWG or 12 AWG. I would like to try the Siltech Ruby Mountain II which is similar in girth to the Sigma Digtal and Analog cables I think but it's way to much money for me.

I do have a Kimber PK10 Gold which I have had since like 2004 but it's on my Furman IT-Reference which I bought used and it didn't come with a cord. As a result I have never been able to experiment as most of my gear plugs into the Furman. The one time I tried it with a cable from another piece of gear I had, it was a 14 AWG cable I think the cable got so hot I thought it might melt so I immediately switched back to the Kimber.

Rod_S

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2015, 11:45 am »
deleted...

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2015, 04:32 pm »
Bigger power cords quickly become a case of diminishing returns. What really matters is the power line source impedance measured all the way back to that large power company transformer down the street.  But good amplifier designers know all about this and it's a major factor in designing the power supply circuit.
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2015, 03:49 pm by Speedskater »

Markd51

« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2015, 01:43 am »
I got my Niangua Power Cords about a good week ago, but right after got a flu, and pneumonia shot.

Never having a Pneumonia Shot in my life, and not sure if it was this, but came down with a bad reaction, 102 fever the first night, and only .5 degree better the second.  Could barely life my arm, even just lifting a cup of coffee was an effort, and little sleep for 3 straight days.

Better now though, a total tear down of system, and downsizing it, two just two Rack Towers, and bringing everything closer together.  Should be some good improvements all the way around, plus some space savings (I'll be sure to show some new pics!)

The 9ga Niangua Power Cords are of the "Garden Hose Variety".  They are quite massive, beautifully made, and should work quite nicely.

During the tear down, all new Hubble 20A Hospital Grade Outlets for the two 7bsst2's and some other outlets replaced, all being the same Hubble Hosp Grade.   All the old outlets I took out must've cost a whopping 69 cents each, and were probably brought over by Christopher Columbus.

Ran a Fanfare FM2 Antenna on the Roof today, FM reception here is like being at Antartica.

I'll try to take a pic of the Power Cord, and show something alongside for size comparison.
I suspect there will be some sonic improvements to be noted.

Markd51

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2015, 12:30 am »

The Big Kahuna

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2015, 08:27 pm »
That is a beastly power cord!

I had the same reaction the first time I got a flu shot. Never had that problem since. I was told they track reactions each year to determine if/what problem there's there were to improve it next year. Be sure to let your health care provider know.

I was quite frustrated the first year I got a reaction. Then I decided that 2 days planned was better than 7-10 on a surprise schedule. :)  Hope your'e felling better.

- Garrett

Markd51

« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2015, 01:57 am »
That is a beastly power cord!

I had the same reaction the first time I got a flu shot. Never had that problem since. I was told they track reactions each year to determine if/what problem there's there were to improve it next year. Be sure to let your health care provider know.

I was quite frustrated the first year I got a reaction. Then I decided that 2 days planned was better than 7-10 on a surprise schedule. :)  Hope your'e felling better.

- Garrett

Garrett,
Thank you kindly for the well wishes, and I am feeling back to my old self, but those shots really did knock me through a hoop for a few days.

This afternoon, I did complete the downsizing of my system, and while I haven't had a real chance to do a sit down and audition, all seems to be put back together properly, without any issues arising.  The thing I hate moving the most was the VPI HW-19 Table with all the mods I have on it.  it is heavier than a Bryston 7BSST2 Monoblock Amp.

I've saved some space, the speakers are a bit closer together which should be an improvement,

Markd51

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2015, 02:03 am »
My new Guard, watching over audio system and Drum Set! LOL

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2015, 04:35 am »
Looks great!

Looks like you gave the guard the flu shot. :)

Rod_S

« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2015, 12:22 pm »
I may be wrong - I will check.

james

OK I was part right - we use to sell a 20 amp version of the 7B's which used a 12 gauge but currently we use a 14 Gauge on the 7B's as only sell a 15 amp version now.

james

I didn't realize you used to make a 20 amp version. What was the difference between it and the 15 amp? Why was it eliminated as an option? Did you offer the 14 in 20 amp as well?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 7 Oct 2015, 12:40 pm »
I didn't realize you used to make a 20 amp version. What was the difference between it and the 15 amp? Why was it eliminated as an option? Did you offer the 14 in 20 amp as well?

Hi Rod

No only the 7B as  before we went to the new transformers the 20 amp handled the lower impedance loads a bit better.

James

Sir Yacho

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2015, 03:33 pm »
My new Guard, watching over audio system and Drum Set! LOL

I love those old Slingerland kits!  Huge bearing edges, huge tone.  I had a 26" RadioKing kick in the studio I used to work at that ended up on many records.  Drummers gravitated toward that thing like it was a supermodel hanging out in the green room... and usually required a similar amount of alcohol consumption for them to make a move!

Hope you're feeling better, and I'm anxious to hear what you think of the Power Cable auditions.

Markd51

« Reply #18 on: 7 Oct 2015, 04:37 pm »
I love those old Slingerland kits!  Huge bearing edges, huge tone.  I had a 26" RadioKing kick in the studio I used to work at that ended up on many records.  Drummers gravitated toward that thing like it was a supermodel hanging out in the green room... and usually required a similar amount of alcohol consumption for them to make a move!

Hope you're feeling better, and I'm anxious to hear what you think of the Power Cable auditions.

The Drumset was one of Barrett Deems' own sets, (Louis Armstrong's drummer in the 50's) and was sold after he passed.  Could've bought another almost exact same set, from the same seller I know, was a set 4 years older, that Barrett took to Eastern Europe in '76 when he toured with Benny Goodman. (There are youtube vids of Benny, Barrett, and this particular set I speak of which was also offered to me)

Barrett was best friends with Gene Krupa, and hence Barrett being a Slingerland Endorser had them make him this "endorser" set.  it is flawless in all aspects.

I haven't had much time to really test the system since downsizing, and adding the new power cords.  As some might say, there might be a bit of some break in again when one upsets all cabling, and adds new cabling.

I suspect no bottleneck with 9ga Power Cords, but some important things I will have to check for is no hum, white noise, or other dislikeable attributes.    The system before, with the 7BSST2 Amps, and stock cords was dead quiet.  Nothing odd at all to be heard from the speakers.

By all rights, these new power cords as well should provide similar silence if not even better, being quad metal shielded, Ferrites installed in all Wattgate Plugs, and a drain wire also as I understand.