Musicality - Is your system musical?

Levi

Re: Musicality - Is your system musical?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2012, 04:16 am »
"Musicality" all depends who is playing and to which ears. :)  The word "musical" is subjective observation. 

This one is very musical.I am just wondering which one of us can hear it at home in way it should really sound. :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2012, 11:28 pm »
Absolutely! If it didn't capture the essence of the music, I would sell everything!

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #22 on: 29 Feb 2012, 08:02 pm »
Performances or Recordings are musical.

Systems are not.  Well, they shouldn't be.  The system should reproduce, accurately, what was recorded.

I have a several different recordings of music from Victory at Sea.   The original late 50's recordings (conducted by the composer) are the most "musical".

HsvHeelFan

SoundGame

« Reply #23 on: 29 Feb 2012, 08:33 pm »
Performances or Recordings are musical.

Systems are not.  Well, they shouldn't be.  The system should reproduce, accurately, what was recorded.

I have a several different recordings of music from Victory at Sea.   The original late 50's recordings (conducted by the composer) are the most "musical".

HsvHeelFan

I agree and disagree, in the most respectful way. 

A system can reproduce sound in a textbook accurate manner - specifications all line up and it could be argued that the output also is textbook - ruller flat, great dispersion, low distortion but as a whole, one system could work more harmoniously then another bringing across a degree of coherence that is unmeasureable, yet is subjectively quite apparent.  That said - the definition of musical is still sketchy as one's interpretation of coherence and realness is different from anothers.

This can even extend to presentation, where some like a more forward (front-seat) presentation and others like a more recessed - either mid-centre or perhaps mid-rear-of-the-hall soundstage.  To individual listeners, one presentation may in fact, appear to be "more real" with more PRAT and more life; hence, more MUSICAL.  It goes on an on I know but it's very interesting to know the difference people have in perceptions.

We all live in our own reality - everyone experiencing life in their individual way - we can really never know exactly what someone else is experiencing but when can do our best to talk through it and get a better understanding. 

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #24 on: 29 Feb 2012, 08:51 pm »

A system can reproduce sound in a textbook accurate manner - specifications all line up and it could be argued that the output also is textbook - ruller flat, great dispersion, low distortion but as a whole, one system could work more harmoniously then another bringing across a degree of coherence that is unmeasureable, yet is subjectively quite apparent.  That said - the definition of musical is still sketchy as one's interpretation of coherence and realness is different from anothers.

This can even extend to presentation, where some like a more forward (front-seat) presentation and others like a more recessed - either mid-centre or perhaps mid-rear-of-the-hall soundstage.  To individual listeners, one presentation may in fact, appear to be "more real" with more PRAT and more life; hence, more MUSICAL.  It goes on an on I know but it's very interesting to know the difference people have in perceptions.

We all live in our own reality - everyone experiencing life in their individual way - we can really never know exactly what someone else is experiencing but when can do our best to talk through it and get a better understanding.

Excellent!

Dave

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #25 on: 1 Mar 2012, 08:22 pm »

Agreed and well said.

HsvHeelFan