Mapletree Ultra 4A SE

steve k

Re: Mapletree Ultra 4A SE
« Reply #20 on: 18 Oct 2006, 11:58 pm »
What other tubes did you buy? I've read good things about the Hitachis but never heard them.
steve

Berndt

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2006, 12:45 am »
2 sets rca 12sn7gt
1 rca 6x5gt
2 majestic 6sn7gt yellow print
4 sylvania chrome top 12sn7gt
2 6x5gt brown base, one sylvania, one los gatos
2 special mica tung sol 6sn7gt
3 green label sylvania 6sn7gt
1 brimar ez35/ 6x5gt black plate
1 tung sol 6x5gt 40's nos

My wife put me on ebay time out.
I really am shooting in the dark, I don't think I made the most educated choices...except my first set was from Jim Mcshane, a matched set of RCA 12sn7gt that are playing right now. They have been in for 4 hours and they just keep getting fuller and richer, blooming, I guess.
I would be happy to swap any extras when I am sitting on a few, if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2006, 03:09 pm by Berndt »

Berndt

« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2006, 03:11 pm »
I must say, the RCA tubes make this pre have the ability to make my digital stuff sound rich and warm.
I enjoyed listening to my olive through the ultra, moreso last night than ever before. It almost sounds like vinyl.

Brad

« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2006, 03:27 pm »
"Sounds like vinyl"

Speaking of vinyl, how do you like the phono stage of the 4se? :idea:

Nice variety of tubes you have there.
Dr. Lloyd has a pretty good stash of stuff too - might want to bug him when you're ready to try some more

Berndt

« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2006, 03:37 pm »
I don't have a very deep experience pool with vinyl. I have a 50$ tt and a 50$ tuner. Before the ultra, my tuner sounded better than the turntable, now the turntable has the equivelant margin of superiority over the tuner. It just seems to pull more texture out of the recordings. I look forward to having a more worthy TT.

I am surprised Dr Lloyd doesn't advertise tubes on his websight, his new headphone amp looks bitchin', btw.

Berndt

« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2006, 09:44 pm »
Just tried a tung sol rectifier tube and it was a step up from the rca which was a step up from the oe tube Dr Lloyd supplied.
A similiar change to what I heard from changing the 12s7 that came with the pre to rca 12sx7gts.

topround

« Reply #26 on: 24 Oct 2006, 11:23 pm »
Hi from another ultra 4 se owner.
Were did you get your rectifier tube from? I would like to purchase one.
thanks

mike

Berndt

« Reply #27 on: 25 Oct 2006, 04:01 am »
Ebay.
The auction.
http://cgi.ebay.ie/1x-TUNG-SOL-6X5GT-40s-VALVE-VALVES-TUBES-6X5-EZ35_W0QQitemZ150045248397QQihZ005QQcategoryZ39997QQcmdZViewItem
I purchased that one and a Brimar made in GB.
The brimar sounds sylvania esque.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2006, 04:16 am by Berndt »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #28 on: 30 Oct 2006, 01:13 am »
Hmmm....First time posting in this circle. Yesterday I had a chance to try this preamp with my Butler 2250 amp's, and I must say ...it was very enjoyable. 8)
Added a nice dimension to the music....smooth, yet detailed....quiet as well. I liked what I heard. Checking the cost...fair price for the quality, build , and sound. I hope others give it a try....the more you listen....the more you learn... :thumb:

Good luck....   Chris

Berndt

« Reply #29 on: 31 Oct 2006, 02:43 am »
I grew up around home built airplanes so the build of the maptree is "aircraft quality".
Chris, I'm glad you took the time to post your thoughts about the U4. I didn't get to hear one before buying, just had someone shouting "BUY IT" in my ear.
 :thumb:

topround

« Reply #30 on: 8 Nov 2006, 02:38 am »
I just hooked up my Ulta 4 SE with a Butler amp and WOW what synergy!
My system never sounded so good.
Dr. LLoyd be prepared, this pre is going to become a cult classic, mark my words.
It won't be the hype that sells it, but the musical experience.
I will buy and sell many things but that stays!

Thanks

mike

lonewolfny42

« Reply #31 on: 8 Nov 2006, 02:44 am »
It did sound good at the Rave Mike.....even better the last few hours.....the night session. 8)

Looks good....sounds good.....and....not expensive.....good bang for the buck !!! :green:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #32 on: 8 Nov 2006, 02:47 am »
Mike....Did you notice any difference in the sound with a different power cord ?

Chris

topround

« Reply #33 on: 8 Nov 2006, 02:57 am »
Actually, I used the lighter colored cord for the pre and the darker slightly thicker cord for the amp.
I switched out the power cord with my Virtual Dynamics beast and found the black sand cable to deliver a cleaner sound with more defined bass, more detail, generally a more pleasing fulfilling sound.
Those Black sand cables truly are great. I didn't really play with the power cord from the pre because I was having such a good time. Really. I just listened to music. oh .. and I smiled :)

It was synergy heaven. Now I have to get my hands on a Butler one day! Then I am done. :thumb:

I hope :wink:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #34 on: 8 Nov 2006, 03:00 am »
One more question....you had the Butler....your Mapletree pre.....and the Modwright. Did you compare the preamps at all ? How were they similar or different ? Thanks...... :thumb:

Berndt

« Reply #35 on: 8 Nov 2006, 03:06 am »
forgive me, I must say that replacing the oe cord with a 50$ signal cable was nice.
I'd love to hear what tube combos you heard?

topround

« Reply #36 on: 8 Nov 2006, 03:12 am »
Berndt,
I am using the stock RCA rectifier with Russian gold pin 6sn7 electro harmonix tubes.
I always wondered what a better umbilical would do?

Berndt

« Reply #37 on: 8 Nov 2006, 03:15 am »
Berndt,
I am using the stock RCA rectifier with Russian gold pin 6sn7 electro harmonix tubes.
I always wondered what a better umbilical would do?

Dr Lloyd now uses locking 3 pin DIN connections.
I  am working on a better umbilical as we speak.
The chair guy had some coolio gucci 3pin p/s i/cs, although 180$ is kinda steep...
revelation?

topround

« Reply #38 on: 8 Nov 2006, 03:17 am »
Please keep me updated on your umbilical project I would be very interested.
Danke!

Berndt

« Reply #39 on: 8 Nov 2006, 03:22 am »
Please keep me updated on your umbilical project I would be very interested.
Danke!

be happy to, man, this thing is so engaging, every tweak makes changes.
The power cable was more night and day than any tube tweek, from oe.