The World's Number One Audiophile

Woodsea

Re: The World's Number One Audiophile
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2007, 08:53 pm »
Ever been to China?  You got money, you have got it made!  I wonder if he had anything to do with the CD industry?

95bcwh

« Reply #21 on: 10 Dec 2007, 08:56 pm »
If I were his wife...I would simply shut my mouth up, and happy with the monthly shopping allowance that was given by Mr. Li

(I bet he gave his wives enough money to buy enough GUCCI/PRADA hand-bags that fills up a few rooms.)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He must have a most understanding wife.  Wicked cool that he bought Japan's LP collection.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2007, 08:59 pm »
Anyone who can buy 200,000 LP's on a whim and have enough space to store them is my hero.  His combined music collection rivals any shop's inventory I've seen.  I think he's more of a music lover than an audiophile.

tanchiro58

« Reply #23 on: 10 Dec 2007, 09:15 pm »
I do not know this is a truth or not and bet that Mr.Li is one of the high ranking officer in the Chinese government or maybe a "business buddy" of one of them??? :scratch:

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #24 on: 10 Dec 2007, 09:18 pm »
I do not know this is a truth or not and bet that Mr.Li is one of the high ranking officer in the Chinese government or maybe a "business buddy" of one of them??? :scratch:

I google'd him with no luck. Maybe I should check Baidu.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2007, 09:25 pm »
There was mention of "his" restaurant:

".....and afterward we shared a wonderful meal in Mr. Li’s restaurant."

so maybe it's huge (and successful - and up-scale!)

tanchiro58

« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2007, 09:40 pm »
There was mention of "his" restaurant:

".....and afterward we shared a wonderful meal in Mr. Li’s restaurant."

so maybe it's huge (and successful - and up-scale!)

Did Robert mention "the best chinese meals in the world at Mr. Li's restaurant he had ever experienced" too? How about other "best entertainment?"  :lol:

Airborn

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2007, 11:17 pm »
WOW!  He must have quite a power bill. :lol:  And my wife complains that my meager 2 systems are cluttering up the house with "stereo stuff."  It looks like one could build several dream systems with his cast off, unhooked up pieces.  Not to mention all the music appears physically impossible to listen to by one person.  No doubt he's #1, but at some point you just have to wonder, what's the point in >200,000 LPs if you can't listen to them all?

mjosef

« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2007, 11:32 pm »
No doubt he's #1, but at some point you just have to wonder, what's the point in >200,000 LPs if you can't listen to them all?
Well, according to the article, he maintains an audio club (next door) for the "public"...so just about everybody's musical taste should be covered. So it looks like its not just for his personal use... but, you never know, people say one thing to the "press" but after the press is gone, its another thing altogether.
At least he seems to have the right idea of potentially "educating" those less fortunate on the pleasures of music reproduction and listening.

Perhaps in the very distant future...when MP3 reigns supreme and the idea of high quality musical reproduction is but a distant memory...his then music museum would be a destination mecca for those seeking musical bliss.

bummrush

« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2007, 12:46 am »
Just seeing those 2 power transformers or conditioners,not sure but 2 on each floor,that alone floored me.

jt1stcav

• Li'l Sammy...she loves directly heated triodes!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/
« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:17 am »

TerryO

« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:21 am »
Mr Li has certainly spent plenty of money on equipment, however I really don't see much (or any) room treatments. I'm really not that impressed with "stuff" and brand names with high price tags, it really depends on how well it's integrated into a complete, competent system.
I've listed my picks for #1 Audiophile. They're both members of our audio club (Pacific Northwest Audio Society) and have served as judges at every one of our Bi-Annual DIY Speaker Contest, "The Puget Sound!"
They seem to be much more concerned with the "sound" of their systems and room than Mr. Li , at least in my opinion.

First is Winston Ma
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue7/maroom.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom2.htm

Second is Mike Lavigne:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm

Best Regards,
TerryO

95bcwh

« Reply #32 on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:26 am »
No room treatment??  :o
I guess you ought to take a closer look at the photos...Room treatment is not all about panels (although he does have side-panels in one room)...bookshelves...CD-shelves acts as very good diffusive treatment.. and pay attention to the corners (I do see bass traps) ..and the ceiling.. they're all different in each room.. :wink:

Of course, if your definition of No.1 audiphiles means beautiful room... then Mr. Li will have plenty of competitors.. 8)

Mr Li has certainly spent plenty of money on equipment, however I really don't see much (or any) room treatments. I'm really not that impressed with "stuff" and brand names with high price tags, it really depends on how well it's integrated into a complete, competent system.
I've listed my picks for #1 Audiophile. They're both members of our audio club (Pacific Northwest Audio Society) and have served as judges at every one of our Bi-Annual DIY Speaker Contest, "The Puget Sound!"
They seem to be much more concerned with the "sound" of their systems and room than Mr. Li , at least in my opinion.

First is Winston Ma
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue7/maroom.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom.htm

Second is Mike Lavigne:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm

Best Regards,
TerryO
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2007, 04:14 am by 95bcwh »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #33 on: 11 Dec 2007, 03:36 am »
Is that a SonicRock?!? (4th picture down).

Seriously, I wonder why people who are building dedicated rooms from the ground up build with opposing parallel surfaces and then have to put extra acoustic treatment in afterwards because of it. It isn't that much harder to make a space where there are no "standing wave generators".

95bcwh

« Reply #34 on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:17 am »
Russell, care to educate me a little, is there such thing as ideal room shape?? (I am planning on building a dedicated room from ground-up) :thumb:

Is that a SonicRock?!? (4th picture down).

Seriously, I wonder why people who are building dedicated rooms from the ground up build with opposing parallel surfaces and then have to put extra acoustic treatment in afterwards because of it. It isn't that much harder to make a space where there are no "standing wave generators".
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2007, 04:44 am by 95bcwh »

nathanm

« Reply #35 on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:57 am »
You know you've really crossed the line when you have more equipment than the store does!  Sheesh!  That's like living in an audio museum!  Cool that he opens it up to people, it's too much for any one person.  I have trouble grasping the size and practicality of my own music collection, and that's only a few hundred titles!  That guy's got a public library's worth!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #36 on: 11 Dec 2007, 05:18 am »
95wbch, is your room going to be a separate building? I ask because it influences ceiling shape.

A friend built a small recording studio on his property that was pentangular in floor plan and had a peaked roof. A regular pentagon was chosen because it somewhat simplified the building of it, in that the roof was simpler. The walls all leaned out about 15 or 20 degrees. It looked neat and sounded great. It was pleasantly reverberant, but had no objectionable eigentones. It was nice to be in.

Sloped-out walls may be impractical for most, though, and are not all that necessary. A shortened variation of the coffin shape could work too, with a cathedral ceiling.

In my case, I had to build within an existing space and it was appropriate that the overall shape be rectangular. My solution was to make the side walls (which I had built) curve inwards with a 14 foot radius. They were built, surprisingly perhaps, out of tempered hardboard bent around a frame of two by fours nailed to curved 3/4' plywood plates on the cement basement floor and similar on the floor joists above. In spite of being lightweight they were amazingly rigid and did not resonate at bass frequencies due to the curve. These curves also created a constantly varying room width, eliminating any transverse standing waves.

Behind the speakers I built a false wall which contained a giant widerange trap from the ceiling almost to the floor and extending outside the left and right speaker positions. The ceiling from the front wall (behind the speakers) extending out into the room about 7 feet was covered with acoustic foam to deaden the area and absorb the first reflection from the ceiling.

The results were gratifying, with very even bass throughout.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #38 on: 11 Dec 2007, 06:14 am »
Ever heard of audio neurosis?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #39 on: 11 Dec 2007, 10:14 am »
Not impressed.  So he's a rich collector.  He pays someone to maintain the equpment, did he also pay someone to buy it all?  How much of the equipment or LPs does he listen to?  Does he enjoy it?  How knowledgable is he of music/audio?  Is he a performer?  Has he ever built/designed equipment?  How good is his hearing?  How educated is his ear to audio parameters?  Does his systems sound good?

In my book, this is the kind of qualities that makes for a true audiophile. 

I have an audiphile friend (HurdyGurdy Dave) that posts here occasionally.  He's been into audio for 30 + years.  He a musican, so  he does vintage the old fashioned way (pawn shops, garage sales) and uses dail up.  He also does repairs and in fact rebuilds crossovers for the Hawthorne Silver Iris coaxial speakers.  Recently someone anonymously gave him an amp and CDP, until then he used an old Scott and a cheap CD burner that he sells his music with.  His "sound room" is the living room of his modest 3 bedroom ranch.  Over the years he's built his own speakers (and of course hurdy-gurdys).  None of his stuff is state of the art, he's not been around the world annually to hear every great piece of equipment, and at his age probably doesn't have the greatest hearing.  But he's a hands-on audio guy and knows music. 

In my book HG Dave is a true audiophile, that has enthusiasm and experience.