Stratos Stereo with Polk LSiM 705s?

outsider10

Stratos Stereo with Polk LSiM 705s?
« on: 17 May 2020, 10:35 pm »
Hi all...newbie from Oregon.

My vintage, Sansui integrated is deteriorating in sound quality. Model AU-D11 II, 130wpc. Fully recapped ~12 yrs ago and has served me well, but I'm hesitant to dump more funds into maintaining it.

Looking at Odyssey power amp(s) and wondering how they might mesh with my Polk LSiM 705 speakers, which are rated up to 250wpc. I'd characterize the sonics as relatively laid back, overall.

Anyone here running these speakers with an Odyssey amp? If so, would also be interested in knowing what pre you are using..

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Stratos Stereo with Polk LSiM 705s?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2020, 12:12 am »
I can't tell you how the amp will sound with those speakers because there is more to it for the sound.  What preamp and music sources are you using with the amp?  What is your room like?  These will affect the sound more. 

The amp will not have any trouble driving those speakers.  That 250w rating of the speaker is a useless spec. 
You could drive them with a 500 wpc amp without any problems.  You would be surprised at how little watts you use at normal listening volumes, probably less than 10 watts.

The Stratos will be a huge step up from the Sansui especially if you pair it with a good preamp.  It will drive the speakers effortlessly and it will have better dynamics, wider sound stage and overall more musical sound.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2020, 02:37 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

outsider10

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2020, 04:47 am »
Thx for the reply IGF.

Pre: For now, I'll dust off my refurbed Yamaha C4. Might eventually like to explore a tube pre, but I'm also an opportunist; if a great deal on a good SS unit came along I might bite.

Sources: Usually a Marantz TT15 turntable w/stock Clearaudio Virtuoso cart. Alternatively, lossless FLAC files (~3TB) via Schitt Modi 3 DAC. Was starting to casually look at better DACs, but priorities have shifted.

Space is a large room with vaulted ceiling & not nearly enough damping/treatment (working on that, ongoing process with WAF).

Wasn't prepared for my Sansui amp to give up the ghost, although I suppose that was foreseeable. So upgrading/modernizing my amplification moved from a long-range plan to an immediate need.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2020, 12:03 am »
That C4 is a nice vintage preamp. 

A step up from the Modi 3 DAC will be a huge improvement in sound.

Cheers,

Larry

DeeCee

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2020, 01:13 am »
Former Oregonian here... I suggest you check out GIK acoustics on the circle here... strong WAF products reasonably priced too.

My wife likes the Impression series I purchased for bass traps.

Happy Listening!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2020, 02:00 am »
You should consider a new Integrated amp with or without a DAC like a Hegel, Parasound or NAD Master Series M2 used. There is a Rogue Audio Pharaoh for sale on Audiogon.

newrival

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2020, 03:15 am »
Odyssey amps are great. I had Stratos plus monoblocks and enjoyed them very much.

I think you’d be surprised by the LSiM on something other than your Sansui as they are NOT laid back speakers.  They are very neutral; not cold or overly analytical, but on modern equipment, there really isn’t anything warm about those speakers at all. I think that sansui is masking what those speakers are all about.

If you like the warm sound, pair the odyssey amp with a tube pre, like a prima Luna or something similar.

Digi-G

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2020, 01:06 pm »
Not familiar with your speakers, but I'm running an Odyssey Stratos Stereo amp with B&W 805 speakers and it sounds great.  I've had the amp since 2003 or 2004 and I have had to send it back twice for repairs but it was missed while it was gone.  I do leave it on, as recommended, 24-7 - definitely sounds better warm.

DeeCee

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2020, 02:48 pm »
Digi-G, out of curiosity... what failures did your amp encounter?

- DeeCee

MatthewT

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2020, 06:11 pm »
Sansui AU-5900 here, great fan of the Sansui house sound. I'm using it as a preamp with the Khartago to Magnepan LRS's. I also use an Elekit TU-8500 pre.

I'm not sure what it says about my hearing, but the Khartago sounds like what you feed it, but just a touch on the warm side. I suspect any Odyssey would sound great with your C4 and Polk's.

outsider10

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2020, 06:49 pm »
Odyssey amps are great. I had Stratos plus monoblocks and enjoyed them very much.

I think you’d be surprised by the LSiM on something other than your Sansui as they are NOT laid back speakers.  They are very neutral; not cold or overly analytical, but on modern equipment, there really isn’t anything warm about those speakers at all. I think that sansui is masking what those speakers are all about.

If you like the warm sound, pair the odyssey amp with a tube pre, like a prima Luna or something similar.

Sansui AU-5900 here, great fan of the Sansui house sound. I'm using it as a preamp with the Khartago to Magnepan LRS's. I also use an Elekit TU-8500 pre.

I'm not sure what it says about my hearing, but the Khartago sounds like what you feed it, but just a touch on the warm side. I suspect any Odyssey would sound great with your C4 and Polk's.

Great feedback folks, thanks. I've suspected for awhile that I'm not extracting the full capabilities of my 705s. FWIW, Jeff Dorgay at Absolute Sound suggested as much, in saying that the slightly bigger 707s were worthy of good amplification and responded audibly to each step up the chain to some pretty high end gear.

Tentative plan is to claw my way into an Odyssey power amp, then explore various pre-amps over time. Klaus responded to an email that I should give him a call, which I plan to do soon

MatthewT

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2020, 08:07 pm »
Tentative plan is to claw my way into an Odyssey power amp, then explore various pre-amps over time. Klaus responded to an email that I should give him a call, which I plan to do soon

Be ready for torrent of information!

outsider10

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2020, 08:17 pm »

- DeeCee

Apologies for the slow reply.
It has a few different symptoms that indicate not all is right with it:

1. Overall kind of muddled sound. May have been gradually declining for awhile.
2. The need to turn the volume up considerably further than normal to achieve same listening level.
3. Once in awhile, it completely cuts out for a couple of seconds.

It may just be that the bias and offset need to be adjusted. The sound seems to oscillate between "crummy" and "crummier". It is not running hot or anything like that.

The general consensus on this model (e.g. on audiokarma) is that is has more refined sound than earlier Sansui amps, but lesser build quality. It retailed for $1000 in 1984 and was their TOTL at the time. It's the earliest rendition of their "X-balanced" design, which was carried forward through the 1990's on a number of different Japan only models. I had it fully recapped in 2008 by a tech I contacted via audiokarma, but who has since dropped out of sight.

As previously indicated, I may have a tech look it over but do not plan to dump any major cash into keeping it running. Time to move into the modern era. Looking at either Odyssey or Van Alstine, probably via the used market. But also trying to research some of the newer Class D designs.

Digi-G

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2020, 07:25 pm »

- DeeCee

If I remember correctly, the bias got out of whack and started creating spurious noises through the speakers. Really loud noises!  I'm honestly not sure what Klaus had to do to fix it.