Group report for LSAF 2010

arthurs

Re: Group report for LSAF 2010
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2010, 09:07 pm »
I thought the Crescendo Systems room sounded very very nice.  Kim has improved the design on his Electrostats and they sounded more dynamic but without giving up the relaxed open sound the previous blue monsters he has shown had.  I also really liked the new smaller footprint and improved aesthetics, terrific job Kim!  (and your wife gets credit for the new look of the speakers!)

arthurs

« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2010, 09:10 pm »
I knew the Super V included what (apparently) you and GR call a subwoofer.  My question concerned a neutral party looking for a sub (the far more ubiquitous sealed or ported type) that could be easily hidden behind the abundant curtain material in the images.   
 sheds no light, as is normally the case with ad copy.

The Super V look great.  I love the name.  Forgive me for being curious about what may or may not be behind the curtains.

I did not personally look behind the curtain yesterday, but have helped Danny set it up before at RMAF and it was just acoustic treatment....I saw no other sub, or anything that could be disguised as a sub, in the room yesterday....the bass on those speakers is the real deal.

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2010, 09:14 pm »
I thought the Crescendo Systems room sounded very very nice.

Yes, I liked the sound of them, as well.

Pat

Nick77

« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2010, 09:28 pm »

Ed here is a photo from Sat showing a big tube amp in the back powering the V2's. Gary said that was a ClassD battey powered amp under buffer but I never heard it hooked up. They sounded very big and now I know why they require some room to work. What impressed me was how balanced they were from top to bottom and speaking of bottom the bass was unreal. Now I know what Danny means by the OB subs not loading the room, the bass is more natural and fast with almost no decay time or smearing. I like them alot, in fact if I didnt already own the 7's they would be my next diy project.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2010, 10:18 pm »
The comments are not from add copy.  It is from my pair of Super-V's in my room listening to pipe organ music.

sl_1800

« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2010, 10:20 pm »
I have heard the Super V's many many times, believe me there was no need for a sub hidden behind the curtains.  The Super V's will produce the best bass you have every heard.  What I heard from them at this show is the same I have heard at Danny's house.

When I heard the Super V's they were powered by the class D amp and sounded really good.  The two GR rooms, Super V's and V2's were my two favorites.  The two rooms using Virtue electronics also sounded really good.  My next favorite was the Von Schweirket speakers powered by Luxman, amazing amount of sound from a small speaker but it does come with a price.

I was surprised, pleasantly, by how many turntables were in use. and I only noticed two computer based systems.

ebag4

« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2010, 10:55 pm »
Ed here is a photo from Sat showing a big tube amp in the back powering the V2's. Gary said that was a ClassD battey powered amp under buffer but I never heard it hooked up. They sounded very big and now I know why they require some room to work. What impressed me was how balanced they were from top to bottom and speaking of bottom the bass was unreal. Now I know what Danny means by the OB subs not loading the room, the bass is more natural and fast with almost no decay time or smearing. I like them alot, in fact if I didnt already own the 7's they would be my next diy project.
Thanks Keith, I couldn't tell that was a tube amp back there.  I thought the box below the buffer might be Gary's version of the ClassD, thanks for verifying.

Best,
Ed

markc2

« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2010, 10:58 pm »
 :drool: The frankenfurter monster amp that came riding in, on wooden planks, no less, http://www.jeffreywjackson.com/ in the Audio Kinesis room, along with http://www.buildanamp.com/main.sc for the pre-amp.

The Oppo and Mhdt with Audio Kinesis http://www.audiokinesis.com/ in house made speakers with help from the above, were for me  :D making some of the very best sound at the show. Human voices were so amazingly real, and the whole set up just had a really musical vibe if you will to the whole thing. Was happy to have been lucky enough to have experienced that room.

Mark
« Last Edit: 17 May 2010, 12:35 am by markc2 »

prokennex

« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2010, 11:22 pm »
Thanks for the pics guys.

Ray

Blooze

« Reply #29 on: 17 May 2010, 01:43 am »
Here's a few snapshots I took with the little time I had to get around.....Shane

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2010, 03:37 am »
I'd love to see images of AudioKinesis Duke LeJeune's room and read some feedback about the sound, etc.

Tell Duke and Lori Jim says "hi".
Allow me.  Duke's speakers- he'll need to tell about this new model- were sweet and delicate and lithe on Simon and Garfunkle Live in Central Park and as dynamic, clean and hugely emotional on Hugh Masekela's Stimela as anytime I've heard that tune with the little Lighter Note preamp and, get this, powered by the amplifier in a small NAD integrated.  Seriously, they played both these live recordings like they were made for them with generous sized imagery and space. 
« Last Edit: 19 May 2010, 04:38 pm by jimdgoulding »

Brad

« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2010, 01:45 pm »
Great pics Blooze - many thanks.   I spent most of the time DJing and trying to give out free microbrews in my room and didn't make it around too much.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2010, 05:11 pm »
Tidbits from my memory.  This was the first audio show I've attended and I'll go again.  If you heard it is laid back you heard right.  I didn't do badly as a vendor, either.  The only thing I could demo was my mouth (no comments from the peanut gallery) meaning I didn't bring speakers.  Next year, maybe I'll bring an easel and some drawing paper.  Come to think of it, they probably had this at the hotel.  Oh, well.

The speaker designer from Jumping Cactus drove in from Tucson.  Talk about a self effacing system, he used a Rega table and arm and a Dyna PAS pre, for example.  He uses sealed aluminum enclosures ala six figure YG Acoustics speakers.  Three of em with an outboard crossover.  I couldn't hear any coloration to the sound whatsoever.  He gets my sleeper of the show award.

One guy, a former high end store owner in Kansas, simply attended and set up his personal system with some Gallo satelites and a sub.  He turned me and us on to a Buddy Holly CD the tapes of which were made in 1955.  It was so beautiful I asked if he would let Duke give it a spin to demo his new speakers.  Duke said he spun it 5 or 6 times.  His wife was a beautiful woman.  I'm not talking out of school, I told him I thought he was a lucky man (hell, he looks like me!).  He approved.

When I saw Duke's new speakers I thought it was a big departure from what I've seen of his designs and wondered if I would like them.  Well, I did.  They were so good on Simon and Garfunkel Live in Central Park, so sweetly detailed and genteel I thought, man, if this was all you listened to, these are the ones.  Then he played Hugh Masakela's Stimela.  Doggone if I didn't think the same thing!  I made it a point to send browsers over to his suite.

Already said I thought Danny's open baffle V2's are terrific.  Timztunz from north Houston like me asked why I would set aside my Meridian actives for a pair and I said cause the sound was not limited by the enclosure.  That and because they could be so adrenelin pumping exciting.  They were very quick and dynamic.  Me liked.  Gary Dodd's battery powered diminutive and handsome tube amps were doing the honors.

A group of three guys were taking pictures.  They even took a picture of my wee contribution to the show laying passively on a table.  Their photos might appear in a future issue of Enjoy The Music, they said.  Another fellow shooting pics said he was there on behalf of Audiogon.  I think these guys were free lance and not commissioned by either outfit so we'll just have to see. 

Fine speakers that I heard included Wayne Parham's 3 Pi's.  Wayne is also the publisher of www.audioroundtable.com.  Electrostats from www.crescendo-systems.com.  Some good looking and good sounding two way floorstanders from Sonist whose main man would pour you a glass of what appeared to be rare Scotch- www.sonist.com.

Scott Clark was there with his school project winning speakers and I think all comers were mightily impressed.  That is a human interest story Texas Monthly should get a hold of.  No sign of them, btw, or The Dallas Morning News' Arts and Entertainment or D Magazine.  Gotta do a better job of gettin em next year. 

I didn't get round to a lot of rooms cause I had to man a post, so I can't offer more.  Great hotel for our purposes with an open bar at dusk. 

ps- The photo above by Nick77 is of the Super V's, not the V2's.  The two's are smaller and narrower. 
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 01:42 am by jimdgoulding »

cryoparts

« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2010, 10:03 pm »
Was Bob from Maxxhorn there?

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2010, 10:04 pm »
Duke, these look pretty spiffy, I need to hear them one of these days!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2010, 10:46 pm »
It was my first time at the LSAF, and I was mightily impressed.  I only arrived and displayed the Jr. Audiophile project speakers Sat. and Sun morning, but I had crowds for all but about 5 minutes!  I managed to sneak out and listen to my next door neighbors room, to hear a very natural and detailed set of speakers- very nice job, Duke!  :drool:

cryoparts

« Reply #36 on: 17 May 2010, 10:51 pm »
Another fellow shooting pics said he was there on behalf of Audiogon.

Probably Albert Porter (great guy), watch AudiogoN the next few days to see if they post his pics.

Lee

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2010, 12:52 am »
It was Albert Porter, taking those photos.

Bob was there, but as Affirm Audio.

Pat

TrungT

« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2010, 01:57 am »

TrungT

« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2010, 01:58 am »