Dave Brubeck has died

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Dave Brubeck has died
« Reply #20 on: 5 Dec 2012, 09:23 pm »
I got to see him later in life when the Cleveland Orchestra, during one of their annual Cleveland Institute of Music benefits, had the Quartet into Severance Hall.  This was probably 10 years ago at the most.  I got to shake his hand at the dinner afterward as he walked by to sit at the main table.  The group was amazing, and he had a couple of the wunderkinds from CIM come forward into the band to play during Rondo!  It was so cool.

jsm71

« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2012, 09:24 pm »
Sadly there will likely be a short term run on his music now that he has passed.  I know I don't have as much of his material that I would like.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2012, 10:02 pm »
I had the opportunity to play on stage with Dave Brubeck when I was playing in The Oklahoma Symphony back in the 80's.  The OSO had a "Pops" series and brought in some really big names which the orchestra would provide backup for. 

Dave Brubeck is what I would call a "Musician's Musician".  He was a very humble man while being an incredible talent.

Randy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 5 Dec 2012, 10:33 pm »
Sorry to know it, this is a huge loss to Jazz and to the good music.
RIP Dave.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #24 on: 5 Dec 2012, 10:39 pm »
He did more to introduce white middle class America to Jazz than nearly anyone.

Doc

SET Man

« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2012, 10:45 pm »
Hey!

A huge loss indeed for music world. But he definitely left a huge mark on the world for sure.

Couple of years ago a had a chance to see him play at the Carnegie Hall. Although he and the band didn't play "Take Five" that night it was still a great show, to see him play with all the energy that wouldn't expect to see at his age.

I still remembered that night :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #26 on: 5 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm »
Dave Brubeck came to Huntsville on two different occasions to play with the Symphony and the Community Chorus.

The first concert had:

Conductor:  Russell Gloyd
Piano: Dave Brubeck
Winds:  Bob Militelo
Bass:  Chris Brubeck
Drums: Randy Jones

What a magical musical evening. 

The 2nd Concert, several years later, had the following line-up:

Conductor:  Russell Gloyd
Piano: Dave Brubeck
Clarinet: Bill Smith
Bass:  Jack Six
Drums: Randy Jones

I remember this concert more clearly.  Rehearsal was on Friday evening and Saturday morning with the Concert on Saturday evening.  We played Mr. Brubeck's "To Hope" Composition.

Talking to Mr. Gloyd, backstage after the Friday night rehearsal, on Wednesday, they had been playing in South America.   During this time, the group was still doing around 300 performances per year.  Many were done during the good weather months in Europe.

During Rehearsal, we'd get a set of railroad tracks (grand pause) and Brubeck and company would go off a jam.  During rehearsal, this was only a couple of minutes.  During the concert, these pauses were long, on the order of 8-10 minutes.  Brubeck, Mr Smith, would pass the melody back and forth and then, Mr Gloyd would step back up on the podium and the orchestra would come back in. 

The evening performance during these pauses was nothing like the rehearsal.  It was just amazing watching this group of fantastic musicians communicate via their music.

HsvHeelFan

tonyptony

« Reply #27 on: 5 Dec 2012, 11:34 pm »
     Couple of years ago a had a chance to see him play at the Carnegie Hall. Although he and the band didn't play "Take Five" that night it was still a great show, to see him play with all the energy that wouldn't expect to see at his age.

At Kimmel they saved "Take Five" for the encore. After a performance that would make young musicians look like weaklings he and the group started in and lit the stage with it. The crowd was enthusiastic the whole night, but when that started the entire audience went hoopie.

My God I'm getting choked up now just remembering it.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2012, 02:37 pm by tonyptony »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #28 on: 5 Dec 2012, 11:49 pm »
Brubeck was 92, I think anyone would be happy with 92 years that was full of life. I have 14 Brubeck albums to remember him by, RIP Dave. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

mightym

« Reply #29 on: 6 Dec 2012, 02:00 am »
RIP Mr. Brubeck

Thanks for the music you left for us....

fsimms

« Reply #30 on: 6 Dec 2012, 04:55 am »
I saw Dave in the late 60’s at the Cullen Auditorium at the University of Houston with my dad.  The auditorium was almost empty.  That was one of my best memories with my Dad.

Bob

PS I love his old vinyl recordings.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #31 on: 6 Dec 2012, 05:11 am »
Dave Brubeck is what I would call a "Musician's Musician".

Agree...and his music will live forever !

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #32 on: 6 Dec 2012, 05:34 am »
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart moment of zen tonight was a snip of Kennedy Center Honor's induction of Dave Brubeck. A class RIP ending, 1920-2012.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Guy 13

« Reply #33 on: 6 Dec 2012, 08:02 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.

I bought a CD of him and love it.
I like the fact that his music is different.

R.I.P Dave and your memory will life on for centuries...

Guy 13

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #34 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:12 pm »
Just an FYI, Eugene Wright is the last surviving member of the Dave Brubeck Quartet that was disbanded in '67.

Joe Morello passed away last year and Paul Desmond passed away in '77.

HsvHeelFan

jjc1

« Reply #35 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:34 pm »
 I was wondering if anyone was still alive. I knew about Desmond and Morello but wasn't sure about Eugene Wright.  Saw the quartet for the first time in 1959 or 1960 performing at Georgetown University during one of the Gala weekend parties. This was the first jazz group I had ever seen in person. Because of them, I have been a jazz nut ever since. It was because of venues like this Dave and the group brought jazz to the American middle class. And all of us jazz lovers should be forever thankful to Dave Brubeck.

Steve

« Reply #36 on: 6 Dec 2012, 07:52 pm »
What a composer, musician, and a humble gentleman. My friends know I liked playing his music and
I will be playing some today.

He has performed Take Five with some different flavors as already mentioned. For those interested, here is the original Take Five.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

RIP Dave.

Steve

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #37 on: 6 Dec 2012, 09:00 pm »

95Dyna

« Reply #38 on: 7 Dec 2012, 03:21 pm »
I'll always give Dave Brubeck equal billing with Miles for drawing me into Jazz when I was in high school back in the '60's.  So many albums and performances to talk about but...'Tis the Season" so I'll mention his solo Christmas album.  Testament to his creative brilliance he took the silliest of holiday songs (Jingle Bells) and turned it into a 4 minute work of art.  Unlike other Christmas albums, I never tire of this one during the season.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #39 on: 7 Dec 2012, 03:42 pm »
My favorite Brubeck CD is "Newport '58".  My dad had this album when I was a kid.  It was released on CD in Japan and I was able to get a copy of it via Amazon.   It was Duke Ellington night so the Quartet played a bunch of Ellington tunes.  It was recorded live.  On their performance the "The Duke", the damper pedal on Dave's piano squeaks every time he uses it.

The other album that I listen to a lot is "The Great Concerts".

Brubeck did a lot of great recordings after the '67 quartet disbanded. I think I have almost all of those recordings.

HsvHeelFan