What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

Hear Clifford Brown

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #520 on: 17 Feb 2011, 04:16 am »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #521 on: 18 Feb 2011, 12:37 am »
How High the Moon
Sonny Stitt | Format: Audio CD

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #522 on: 18 Feb 2011, 04:53 am »

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #523 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:39 am »
Straight Ahead, Abbey is Blue - Abbey Lincoln

etcarroll

« Reply #524 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:11 am »
Concord Jazz Super Audio CD SamplerVarious Artists
SACD

richidoo

« Reply #525 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:17 am »
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil

blutto

« Reply #526 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:24 am »
Straight Ahead, Abbey is Blue - Abbey Lincoln

....absolutely great records... if I may, I would also strongly recommend Abbey is Blue...a huge favourite in our household...has major WAF...a cornerstone of a Valentine's Day cassette tape I made way back when, that helped turn my beloved into a jazz fan....

Cheers

blutto

Ronm1

« Reply #527 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:31 am »
....absolutely great record... if I may, I would strongly recommend Abbey is Blue...a huge favourite in our household...

Cheers

blutto

I agree, that is my favorite of hers, among many.  I'm partial to the Billie Holiday tributes too!!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #528 on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:14 am »
Kind of Blue.  Nothin new about that accept I can tell you that the 200 gram that I recently got is just as noisy as the 180g.  Both came from Classic Records.  Maybe the master plates are lame.  Somethin.  You'd think they would know what and fix it.  I'd buy another copy, but not from them, if anybody knows what I've experienced and done better.  My daughter gave me a birthday present of the 50th Anniversary edition of this on CD and it's way good.  The cymbal sound is not as wholesome as what the vinyl has given me at some elusive point before. 

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #529 on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:42 am »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #530 on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:20 am »
Don Cherry (A&M Horizon).  Self titled with Frank Lowe, Billy Higgins, Charlie Haden, others.  An intense and wild ride.  At least the best numbers are, IMO.  Three out of four, in other words.  Sometimes refered to by its opening track, Brown Rice.

blutto

« Reply #531 on: 20 Feb 2011, 06:02 am »
I agree, that is my favorite of hers, among many.  I'm partial to the Billie Holiday tributes too!!!

...which one of the three would you recommend?...thanks in advance...

Cheers

blutto

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #532 on: 20 Feb 2011, 06:18 am »
A nice late nite relaxing album.....

Gianluigi Trovesi, Umberto Petrin, and Fulvio Maras - "Vaghissimo Ritratto"

Ronm1

« Reply #533 on: 20 Feb 2011, 08:56 am »
...which one of the three would you recommend?...thanks in advance...

Cheers

blutto
I have Vol1 & Vol2 and they are both excellent.  Either is a joy. I may lean towards 1.
Don't have the one with Tribute in the title.

blutto

« Reply #534 on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:55 pm »
I have Vol1 & Vol2 and they are both excellent.  Either is a joy. I may lean towards 1.
Don't have the one with Tribute in the title.

...thanks for the recommendation...and if I may, I'll toss a few vocal performances onto the table that I think are worth checking out...

...the first is Look Up by The Pilgrim Travellers on Andex A5001...be forewarned the pressing will probably look quite awful but the sound is very good and the performances are off the scale...I include this on this Circle because in my opinion all jazz vocalists are informed by the gospel tradition...maybe you could consider this to be valuable background information that allows a jazz lover lover to more fully understand jazz..certainly did that for me...

...the second recommendation is Memories Ad-Lib featuring Joe Williams and Count Basie...this may be the best combination of sound and performance recording that I own...unfortunately it is available only as a used item and getting the right pressing is a bit of a struggle..I have about 10 copies of this recording and the only ones that really work sonically are those marked Roulette SR-52021 with a bar across the top of the jacket that says Dynamic Stereo...Roulette was a very dodgy outfit that put out product of various degrees of quality but get the right one and you are in heaven...the other thing to do is bother Chad Kassem to re-release it...I've tried but he comes
back with there isn't enough demand...also note this may be the first mass release stereo recording..and gosh did they nail it...no ping pong monkeying around here, just a huge mono-ish center with a bare hint of stereo separation...very very effective..

...and one more thing...it was produced by Teddy Reig...see quote below...from AMG...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A colorful character and one of the most important jazz producers of all time, Teddy Reig was involved in many important sessions of the 1940s,'50s and '60s. He started producing in 1945 and was soon working regularly at Savoy on most of their most significant dates (including the Charlie Parker sessions), helping turn Savoy into a major jazz and R&B record company. Reig founded the Roost label in 1950 and in the mid-1950s switched over to Roulette, where he extensively recorded Count Basie's Orchestra and other jazz musicians and singers. A skillful talent scout, Reig was a major force not only in jazz, but in the R&B and Latin music worlds. Health problems forced his retirement in the 1970s.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers

blutto

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #535 on: 20 Feb 2011, 08:44 pm »

The Bad Plus - "Never Stop"

mjosef

« Reply #536 on: 20 Feb 2011, 09:22 pm »

I should play that Neva stop Bad Plus...got it for a dollar (sealed copy) at the last Record Fair.

etcarroll

« Reply #537 on: 20 Feb 2011, 10:53 pm »
Miles Tones [Live]
Miles Davis | Format: Audio CD

Ronm1

« Reply #538 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:45 am »
Amparo - Ritenour|Grusin
Cafe Blue - Patricia Barber

etcarroll

« Reply #539 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:17 pm »
Atl Jazz: Avant-Garde
Atlantic Jazz (Series) | Format: vinyl