What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #10300 on: 8 Mar 2015, 11:46 pm »
I just took out an Al Stewart release which is rock. Does anyone can tell me why OMR released a recording without the destinctive clip they used to have on CDs without that feature?

ACHiPo

« Reply #10301 on: 9 Mar 2015, 12:25 am »
I recommended the album. It is very enjoyable throughout.
Thanks Jazzy!  Great set! Guess we all get mixed up from time to time. :oops:

ACHiPo

« Reply #10302 on: 9 Mar 2015, 12:32 am »
LET'S GET ACQUAINTED WITH JAZZ  FOR PEOPLE WHO HATE JAZZ JIMMY ROWLES SEXTET IN SUPERSONIC SOUND

Man I love some of these old album covers!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10303 on: 9 Mar 2015, 01:41 am »
Jazzy, caught Renee Rosnes at "Smalls" in NYC some time ago with our daughter.  She was leading a quintet.  And, I have Emily Remler on a Concord Jazz CD, "East to Wes", that is very nice.  What you gonna do when you reach the Z's?  How's about live recordings :drool:?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10304 on: 9 Mar 2015, 02:30 am »
The Three- Joe Sample, Ray Brown, Shelly Manne (Eastwind direct-to-disc).  All this is gonna be considered passé in the not-to-distant future.  No compression of dynamics, no filtering.  It almost is already is except for audiophiles.  Those with turntables at any rate.  And we are not getting any younger.  "Rejoice Dear Heart" (Brother Dave Gardner) while you can.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10305 on: 9 Mar 2015, 02:30 am »
Jazzy, caught Renee Rosnes at "Smalls" in NYC some time ago with my daughter.  She was leading a quintet.  And, I have Emily Remler on a Concord Jazz CD, "East to Wes", that is very nice.  What you gonna do when you reach the Z's?  How's about live recordings :drool:?
Those are my CDs I have to do my records next. I have 2000 of them ( about)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10306 on: 9 Mar 2015, 02:38 am »
Those are my CDs I have to do my records next. I have 2000 of them ( about)
Well, awright then!  I'm getting the travel bug, again.  San Francisco was a disappointment for jazz last time out.  I'm thinkin Brooklyn.  I know Mjosef knows but he doesn't post anymore.  When I get serious, I'm bettin some of you can assist.   

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10307 on: 9 Mar 2015, 04:12 am »
Well, awright then!  I'm getting the travel bug, again.  San Francisco was a disappointment for jazz last time out.  I'm thinkin Brooklyn.  I know Mjosef knows but he doesn't post anymore.  When I get serious, I'm bettin some of you can assist.
I don't nothing about Brooklyn.But NYC is a great town for jazz.You can go to the Basin Street West and the Village Vanguard (if it is still there) and others spots for jazz.It is cold there now wait until the Spring.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10308 on: 9 Mar 2015, 04:18 am »
Man I love some of these old album covers!
This one was counterfeited a few times. I have the counterfeit ones in my record collection. The FBI contacted me. They said they would call on me because they said I knew my stuff. That call never came in 35 years.
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2015, 05:22 am by jazzyguytheone »

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10309 on: 9 Mar 2015, 04:23 am »
The Three- Joe Sample, Ray Brown, Shelly Manne (Eastwind direct-to-disc).  All this is gonna be considered passé in the not-to-distant future.  No compression of dynamics, no filtering.  It almost is already is except for audiophiles.  Those with turntables at any rate.  And we are not getting any younger.  "Rejoice Dear Heart" (Brother Dave Gardner) while you can.
I have that recording in my record collection.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10310 on: 9 Mar 2015, 04:48 am »
Jazzy, caught Renee Rosnes at "Smalls" in NYC some time ago with our daughter.  She was leading a quintet.  And, I have Emily Remler on a Concord Jazz CD, "East to Wes", that is very nice.  What you gonna do when you reach the Z's?  How's about live recordings :drool:?
I think Emily Remier passed away too early at a young age. I think it was her heart.

ACHiPo

« Reply #10311 on: 9 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm »
John Coltrane
A Love Supreme
First day back to work after vacation and trying to get a good mental start!

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10312 on: 9 Mar 2015, 06:11 pm »
SONNY ROLLINS AND COLEMAN HAWKINS    SONNY MEETS HAWK

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10313 on: 9 Mar 2015, 06:12 pm »

ACH, these were released just prior to "A Love Supreme" and contain some of his best work, ime.  In particular, the two longest tracks from each.  What vehicle is that in your avatar?  That a Ferrari?  I had the pleasure of seeing Coltrane with Tyner, Garrison, and Jones a few times back in the day.  Once I was seated right in front of him.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10314 on: 9 Mar 2015, 06:16 pm »
ELBA RAMALHO   PERSONALIDADE

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10315 on: 9 Mar 2015, 06:27 pm »
FRANK ROSOLINO    FREE FOR ALL- THE SAD THING ABOUT FRANK ROSOLINO- HE KILLED HIS SON AND BLINDED HIS SON IN ONE EYE-ALL THIS FROM A MAN WHO WAS A COMIC IN STAN KENTON'S BAND SORT OF A COMIC VOCALIST. HE MADE MANY VOCAL RECORDS. UNFORTUNATELY HIS SON THE SURVIVING ONE WILL NEVER FORGIVE HIM. HE WAS A REALLY GREAT TROMBONIST.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10316 on: 9 Mar 2015, 06:33 pm »
JIMMY ROWLES SEPTET  WEATHER IN A JAZZ VANE  - SORT OF A SEQUAL TO LET'S LEARN ABOUT JAZZ

« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2015, 09:40 pm by jazzyguytheone »

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10317 on: 9 Mar 2015, 06:40 pm »
JOLTIN' JOE ROLAND

I have to quote myself on this,this is the worst vocal score i have ever heard. The title is"Love is a plaything" I was laughing to myself when I heard it. The tears came to my eyes I was laughing so hard.If you ever get a copy of Joe Roland on Savoy/Denon after you read it. Burn it!! No I really mean Joe Roland is good vibe player. Don't burn it,please. "Love is a plaything" is a forgettable  experience. I call it a slip and fall down memory lane.
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2015, 11:23 pm by jazzyguytheone »

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10318 on: 9 Mar 2015, 06:44 pm »
FREEDIE REDD QUARTET WITH

JACKIE MCLEAN  THE CONNECTION

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10319 on: 9 Mar 2015, 06:49 pm »
LEE RITENOUR   FESTIVALL