What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

Asimov

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #8360 on: 13 Dec 2014, 12:57 pm »

Hal McKusick Quartet — East Coast Jazz Series No. 8

Asimov

« Reply #8361 on: 13 Dec 2014, 01:35 pm »

Joey DeFrancesco — 40

Asimov

« Reply #8362 on: 13 Dec 2014, 02:33 pm »

Johnny Griffin — Chicago, New York, Paris

Asimov

« Reply #8363 on: 13 Dec 2014, 03:41 pm »

The Modern Jazz Quartet — Concert In Japan Vol-2

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8364 on: 13 Dec 2014, 04:12 pm »
Larry Coryell  ~  Fairyland

with Chuck Rainey, bass; Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, drums

Recorded live in Montreux, Switzerland, June 18, 1971.

Mega

I have this, CB, and must give it a re-visit since I do.

I wanna give the biggest shout out I can muster to the ECM label and catalog.  Thank you Manfred Eicher, the man behind the scenes for what you've given me and jazz enthusiasts.  Where are you today.  Is jazz a dying art form or am I just out of touch?  Most of youse guys posts are pretty retro.  On my trip to San Francisco last fall I couldn't find any at clubs.  Houston (where I live) has a club that sometimes features jazz artists near my crib and I am thankful for that.  And the Di Camera Society down here occasionally hosts some pretty terrific rosters but the price of admission is high.  That's about the extent of my awareness.  I think there are some clubs in Brooklyn, NY that feature some eclectic jazz groups.  Next time I'm up there I'm gonna see if AC member and Brooklyn resident MJosef will permit me to hang out a bit.  Maybe he will indulge me some Maria Neckam* tho I don't think he likes her much.  I think she plays around Brooklyn some. 

So, I lament.  Anyway, here's to jazz :thumb:.  Keep listening.  Keep em coming.

*"Deeper" (Sunnyside).

Asimov

« Reply #8365 on: 13 Dec 2014, 04:15 pm »

The Modern Jazz Quartet — Lost Tapes. Germany 1956-1958

geowak

ACHiPo

« Reply #8367 on: 13 Dec 2014, 04:49 pm »
A find at the used record store, not the dollar bin, but a good value nonetheless.  It hit 35 on the Billboard Jazz charts, but never hit my radar until now   :thumb:

Paquito d'Rivera
Mariel

While this has hints of that dreaded overproduced 70s/80s sound, it's only in brief spurts, and the great hand drums, horns, son piano, and other rhythm playing overshadow it.  I'm really liking it.

Ignacio Berroa (Drums)
Randy Brecker (Trumpet)
Luis Buchillon (Piano)
Jorge Dalto (Piano)
Brenda Feliciano (Vocals)
Jeff Fuller (Bass)
Eddie Gomez (Bass)
Daniel Ponce (Percussion)
Hilton Ruiz (Keyboards)
George Wadenius (Percussion)

YouTube Sample

ACHiPo

« Reply #8368 on: 13 Dec 2014, 05:12 pm »
I have this, CB, and must give it a re-visit since I do.

Where are you today.  Is jazz a dying art form or am I just out of touch?  Most of youse guys posts are pretty retro.  On my trip to San Francisco last fall I couldn't find any at clubs.  Houston (where I live) has a club that sometimes features jazz artists near my crib and I am thankful for that.  And the Di Camera Society down here occasionally hosts some pretty terrific rosters but the price of admission is high.  That's about the extent of my awareness.  I think there are some clubs in Brooklyn, NY that feature some eclectic jazz groups.  Next time I'm up there I'm gonna see if AC member and Brooklyn resident MJosef will permit me to hang out a bit.  Maybe he will indulge me some Maria Neckam* tho I don't think he likes her much.  I think she plays around Brooklyn some. 

So, I lament.  Anyway, here's to jazz :thumb:.  Keep listening.  Keep em coming.

*"Deeper" (Sunnyside).

Jim,
Having relocated from Portland, OR a little over a year ago to the Bay Area I'm not yet plugged into the live music scene here.  I know Portland had a decent rotation of good local and beyond artists in a dozen or so venues, and I suspect we do here as well.  Not so sure about SF proper, but I'm sure you can find some good music in Oakland and other surrounding areas.  We've been to a couple neighborhood places in the SE Bay and haven't liked them as much as our local joint in SW Portland, but we keep looking.

Since I got my 2-channel rig set up a few months ago including upgraded preamp and speakers, I've gotten back into jazz and to a lesser extent classical.  I've got a new-found appreciation for the vintage mono and early stereo recordings I used to dismiss, likely because of a combination of my system and maturity  :roll:.  Now I find I can no longer tolerate the over-processed 70s and 80s jazz of my yout', but am drawn into the musical story telling of Art Pepper.

Oh well, enough musing.  Back to the music.  This time a bit of Italian classical so need to visit another circle. 8)

Best,
AC

Asimov

« Reply #8369 on: 13 Dec 2014, 05:35 pm »

The Three Suns - On a Magic Carpet

ACHiPo

« Reply #8370 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:18 pm »
Another data point for "there's a good reason a 30 year old record was never opened"...

Oregon
Music of Another Present Era

Found it unopened at the used record store for $5.

Record quality abysmal--very noisy with striations across the record surface.  Sounds like someone used it for a Frisbee.
Music not to my taste, although the performance is ok

Free to a good (or bad) home... but act fast it's in the trash and garbage day is Wednesday :lol:

Asimov

« Reply #8371 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:22 pm »

Toshiyuki Miyama - New Herd

ACHiPo

« Reply #8372 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:26 pm »
Freddy Hubbard
The Artistry of Freddy Hubbard

Heard this at the used record store (owner's private copy), but couldn't find a reasonable LP so bought the CD.  Great music and performance.  Highly recommended.

EarPal

« Reply #8373 on: 13 Dec 2014, 10:24 pm »

Donald Byrd  -  Slow Drag

"Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?"  YO MOMMA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpDa0kaV6hQ

rockadanny

« Reply #8374 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:07 pm »
Time for some trippy jazz ...

John Scofield, "Up All Night", 2002.

EarPal

« Reply #8375 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:28 pm »

Eddie Harris  -  The Real Electrifying Eddie Harris

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8376 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:42 pm »
Jim,
Having relocated from Portland, OR a little over a year ago to the Bay Area I'm not yet plugged into the live music scene here.  I know Portland had a decent rotation of good local and beyond artists in a dozen or so venues, and I suspect we do here as well.  Not so sure about SF proper, but I'm sure you can find some good music in Oakland and other surrounding areas.  We've been to a couple neighborhood places in the SE Bay and haven't liked them as much as our local joint in SW Portland, but we keep looking.

Since I got my 2-channel rig set up a few months ago including upgraded preamp and speakers, I've gotten back into jazz and to a lesser extent classical.  I've got a new-found appreciation for the vintage mono and early stereo recordings I used to dismiss, likely because of a combination of my system and maturity  :roll:.  Now I find I can no longer tolerate the over-processed 70s and 80s jazz of my yout', but am drawn into the musical story telling of Art Pepper.

Oh well, enough musing.  Back to the music.  This time a bit of Italian classical so need to visit another circle. 8)

Best,
AC
Berkeley used to be solid.  I lived in SF years ago.  Never saw Pepper but I've seen a gang of jazz and rock groups from the time.

Asimov

« Reply #8377 on: 14 Dec 2014, 02:21 pm »

Kenny Burrell & Grover Washington Jr. — Togethering

Asimov

« Reply #8378 on: 14 Dec 2014, 03:09 pm »

Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian — Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian

EarPal

« Reply #8379 on: 14 Dec 2014, 03:50 pm »