Elac Debut 2.0's hitting the street

Doublej

Elac Debut 2.0's hitting the street
« on: 30 Mar 2018, 12:43 am »
Looks like Andrew Jones has updated the B5 and B6.

https://www.elac.com/product/b5-2/?r=us

https://www.elac.com/product/b6-2/?r=us

Will they be cheerier than the originals?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Elac Debut 2.0's hitting the street
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2018, 01:20 pm »
A slight price increase.  I wonder where the improvements are.  On the B 6.2 the crossover is lowered to 2200Hz vs 3000Hz on the older model, sensitivity and reactance are the same.  Drivers and cabinets seem unchanged.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2018, 02:17 pm »
A slight price increase.  I wonder where the improvements are.  On the B 6.2 the crossover is lowered to 2200Hz vs 3000Hz on the older model, sensitivity and reactance are the same.  Drivers and cabinets seem unchanged.

The cabinet is now taller, narrower and front ported. The new version has more clarity and a bigger soundstage but with less bass, though the base is now tighter and more defined.

“The B6.2 has a cheerfully retro appearance that recalls older British designs from Bowers and Wilkins or Wharfedale. When placed alongside the original Debut B6 it looks like a completely different speaker -- where the B6 was short and squat, the update is taller and slimmer with the noticeable addition of a front bass port.”

https://www.cnet.com/products/elac-debut-2-0-b6-2/review/

Cheers,
Lester

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2018, 12:02 pm »
Thanks Lester, very informative.  Interesting about the reduced apparent bass, the spec'd frequency response is the same between both models, but we know specs aren't everything.

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2018, 07:18 am »
Thanks Lester, very informative.  Interesting about the reduced apparent bass, the spec'd frequency response is the same between both models, but we know specs aren't everything.

The lower crossover is large enough to have a large impact on presentation. With the tweeter taking on more of the midrange, dispersion will be different and the mids potentially clearer since the woofer isn't working so hard. The previous model was perceived to have some treble rolloff so it sounds like that's also been adjusted per the CNET review. Also the improved enclosure build quality with improved resonance should make a difference too.

What's interesting is that the 'complex crossover' angle isn't mentioned in the marketing of the new model. Wonder why. My guess overall is Elac decided they would rather cut costs on aesthetics so they could improve sq in order to meet similar price point.

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2018, 03:56 pm »
Anyone get one of these yet? I know they're shipping on Amazon.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2018, 08:47 pm »
The only reasons I didn't try the originals were
•   the rear port (I’d need to place them close to a wall) and
•   the combination of huge bass (for a bookshelf anyway) with rolled-off treble (I’m the opposite of a basshead because even moderate levels of bass tend to give me a headache)

So I'm pretty interested in anyone's impressions of these as well since my 2 qualms with the original design have been addressed.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2018, 04:57 pm »
Anyone heard a pair of these yet?

apstoltz

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2018, 07:38 pm »
I have demoed the b5.2 and thought they were quite good for the price. They image very well and have a nice balanced sound. i have never heard the original series so I cannot do a direct comparison.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2018, 08:02 pm »
I heard the B6.2's at Axpona this year. Smooth sound and nice imaging. They cost much less than almost everything else on display at the show, and sounded good.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2018, 12:24 pm »
On sale now for $249.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4Q5587/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_69vEBbE7G5B62

If anyone picks up a pair, let us know your thoughts in your C&C system after they break in.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2018, 03:06 pm »
On sale now for $249.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4Q5587/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_69vEBbE7G5B62

If you have a preferred vendor other than Amazon, they are also available for $249 shipped from B&H Photo, Crutchfield & Music Direct.

They may also be in stock in some Best Buy Magnolia stores at the sale price plus local sales tax.  B&H only charges sales tax in NY and NJ.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2018, 03:10 am »
I am going to buy a pair of the B6.2's for my daughter to replace her infinity Primus 160's.  It will be a christmas present but of course I will have to check them out and make sure they work, LOL.  So I will post a review of them.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2018, 07:33 pm »
The best $249 speaker you will ever hear period. Gentleman start your engines !

charles

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2018, 11:23 am »
$229 on Amazon now!

Might be matched by other retailers as well

Remember, if you don't want to wait, or just want to support a brick-and-mortar over Amazon, Best Buy will price match. Buy online with in-store pickup FTW!
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2018, 04:08 pm by pinkfloyd4ever »

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2018, 03:16 pm »
$229 on Amazon now!

Might be matched by other retailers as well

now that's a deal !!

2bigears

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2018, 03:56 pm »
 :D dam that's cheap.  450 here in the great white north Canada.   Dam  :D
     I bought the smaller elac set and sent them back to Jeff....... :D
    Need a small set of speakers

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2018, 04:12 pm »
I am going to buy a pair of the B6.2's for my daughter to replace her infinity Primus 160's.  It will be a christmas present but of course I will have to check them out and make sure they work, LOL.  So I will post a review of them.

Just replaced Son's Advents with them . No turning back.

charles

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2018, 03:18 pm »
On sale for $150! If you've been waiting for these to go on sale, take advantage of Best Buy's price match and get a pair today!
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers, Black (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4Q5587/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bey8BbWTV9C3K

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2018, 07:26 pm »
I just bought a pair for my daughters birthday.  At $150pr  that is a no brainer.