bi-amping the Alpha

drphoto

bi-amping the Alpha
« on: 30 May 2003, 09:35 pm »
Could the Alpha be biamped, say using a tube (such as the Dodd 'natch  :wink: ) on the ribbons and a SS (my Stratos Monos) on the mid-woofs?

Would anything be gained by this approach.

Obviously, I'm just daydreaming as I haven't bought a single sheet of MDF yet.

Speaking of which, would there be any advantage to going to the (much more expensive) birch ply favored by some cabinet makers?

BTW: If I do 'pull the trigger' on this project, I'll photo document the whole thing. Ryan's pics were great, just not enough of them, which I know wasn't his fault.

Danny Richie

Alpha's
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2003, 12:06 am »
You can wire it in such a way as to bi-amp them if you like. It just one more set of binding post.

Bi-amping will have little benefit.

If I were to do that I would use matching amps though.

There is no advantage to plywood. One disadvantage is that it is more resonant than MDF.

azryan

bi-amping the Alpha
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2003, 05:15 pm »
I'll second that about bi-amp not really being a benefit in the Alpha's case.

These are so effi. they should just need one amp of the best quality of your preference.
And you seem to have a great amp already. Great sound. Plenty of power. From what I heard about it's bass, that should fit well w/ the Alphas IMO.

Also as Danny says -use matching amps 'if' you do bi-amp.

Normally bi-amping would be best for a three-way where one amp goes to the bass section which is more of an extended subwoofer section, and the other amp going to the mid/tweeters w/ say a tube amp that sounds better to you than the solid state, yet just doesn't have the amount of power you'd need on the very low end.

The Alpha's woofers are playing well up into the mids and the Neo's are extended tweeters playing down into the mids. You want to keep that blend perfect, and I'd think two totally diff. amps would risk messing that x-over up.

Hey, you should set up a video camera and film yourself making the Alphas so for all those w/ broadband they can have a real guide to go by! hehe

Sorry I didn't take enough pics for you. But hey... I didn't have any to go by 'cept a 'finished' shot, and it went fine. hehe