Hypex NCore question and answers

cab

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #400 on: 12 Nov 2012, 10:05 pm »
Keep in mind that the ncore has a snr of over 120 db while most tube preamps are no where close....

DaveX

« Reply #401 on: 13 Nov 2012, 03:18 pm »
Not sure if it's just me, but hypex has been reported as an attack site and is blocked. I've tried google and IE but no go.
hypexshop is OK but I can't download the data sheets.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #402 on: 13 Nov 2012, 03:26 pm »
Not sure if it's just me, but hypex has been reported as an attack site and is blocked. I've tried google and IE but no go.
hypexshop is OK but I can't download the data sheets.
They know about it as it's been reported on diy.

They are the older revision but depending on what you're after you can see these http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108251.0

DaveX

« Reply #403 on: 13 Nov 2012, 11:49 pm »
I plan to drill some ventilation holes in the top of my amp enclosures or maybe the sides. Do both the SMP600 and NC400 get equally warm or just the NC400. Thanks.

TomS

« Reply #404 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:26 am »
I plan to drill some ventilation holes in the top of my amp enclosures or maybe the sides. Do both the SMP600 and NC400 get equally warm or just the NC400. Thanks.
The power supply is the heater of the two.

Rclark

« Reply #405 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:10 am »
I have a finish planned for the top surfaces so I'm hoping I can just drill into the bottom of the enclosure, and the back, and that should give a nice low flow of air. The amps don't get hot at all, but there's also no reason to store that warm air in there, and it will eventually be summer again. I have a drill and some bits, but they're just regular drill bits, not sure if they can do through metal, is there a special sort of bit I should be using?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #406 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:14 am »
I have a finish planned for the top surfaces so I'm hoping I can just drill into the bottom of the enclosure, and the back, and that should give a nice low flow of air. The amps don't get hot at all, but there's also no reason to store that warm air in there, and it will eventually be summer again. I have a drill and some bits, but they're just regular drill bits, not sure if they can do through metal, is there a special sort of bit I should be using?
Do as you wish but you totally wasting your time and effort.  The chassis is a heat sink.  This has been discussed many times....

Read the data sheet!

Rclark

« Reply #407 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:34 am »
Yes but after I'm done with my finish, the chassis won't be as efficient as it once was.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #408 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:40 am »
Yes but after I'm done with my finish, the chassis won't be as efficient as it once was.
Why is that? 

Rclark

« Reply #409 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:48 am »
That thing I talked about, it's 6mm thick, at least initially, and it covers the surface.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #410 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:52 am »
That thing I talked about, it's 6mm thick, at least initially, and it covers the surface.
It's only one surface though.  Right? 

srb

« Reply #411 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:53 am »
Yes, if you clad it with wood or something, it won't radiate heat as well.  But didn't some of the people who previously built the NC400 amps comment that several components on the SMPS board ran fairly hot (transformer?).  Ventillation is never a bad idea.

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #412 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:55 am »
It will cover everything but the bottom and back panels.

However, you're right, as they are now, barely warm to the touch when I run them, and they are completely sealed. Nearly 500 watts a piece (at 4ohm, according to MGALUSHA's 8ohm measurements of 240 rather than the published 200 watts) and barely warm. Amazing.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #413 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:59 am »

Heat rises so I don't see how drilling holes in the enclosure's bottom will dissipate any minor heat buildup or create any airflow for that matter unless you drill holes in the enclosure's top (or sides) also.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

Rclark

« Reply #414 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:07 am »
bottom and back..

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #415 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:16 am »
bottom and back..

That'll work.  :thumb:

DaveX

« Reply #416 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:18 pm »
....need to get a few more bits before I start to build the encores. Could someone tell me what type/size crimp I need to connect the     
(TE Connectivity 15CUE1) IEC inlet, and also what are those plastic covers called that slide over the crimp. If someone could point me to a website to order in the UK or just to show what I need to order would be a great help. Thanks.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #417 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:19 pm »
....need to get a few more bits before I start to build the encores. Could someone tell me what type/size crimp I need to connect the     
(TE Connectivity 15CUE1) IEC inlet, and also what are those plastic covers called that slide over the crimp. If someone could point me to a website to order in the UK or just to show what I need to order would be a great help. Thanks.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106336.0

DaveX

« Reply #418 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:06 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106336.0

I take it the link was to ask the question on the correct forum because I couldn't find what I was looking for, thanks anyway.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #419 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:12 pm »
I take it the link was to ask the question on the correct forum because I couldn't find what I was looking for, thanks anyway.
http://www.cor.com/Series/PEM/CU/